It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Orangutans in Indonesian Zoo Caught on Film.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Smoking Orangutans in Indonesian zoo

I found this video of a Smoking Orangutan which shocked me ,so i though i share it with ATS ,Orangutans are very intelligent animals and as you can see in the video the Orangutan try's to light a bit of a cigarette with a another burn down cigarette that a visitor has thrown in there living area ,now this Orangutan called Toni, who was captured on this video shortly before his death in 2009 smoking with his 5-year-old son called Tori who also smokes by the way and visitors can still see him smoking today ,its claimed visitors are to blame for these Orangutan smoking ?

After looking into this further i found that wildlife officials in Malaysia said

"a smoking orangutan at a state-run zoo in Johor state was seized and placed into quarantine"
Officials say they want to help her quit.

Source

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
lol monkey see monkey do right ?

all those years of visitors coming by smoking

these animals got curious , and wondered why they do it lol

probably started picking up half ciggs and practicing till they learned to light it

i wouldnt be surprised if all the second hand smoke from visitors or employees got them addicted lol

funny to watch , but scary at the same time lol

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I like how they showed multiple different kinds of monkeys smoking. This made me laugh,thinking about a zoo full of smoking animals.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Wow. How do they know how to smoke and how does he know how to relight it??? Here is one of a smoking gorilla.... www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I always thought smokers had to be dumb to have that habit.
edit on 17-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
Smoking Orangutans in Indonesian zoo

Orangutans are very intelligent animals

Not this one apparently, But he is closer to being human that much I will admit.

I wonder who taught him. He smoked like a champ tho lol

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Smoking orangutans hehe.

Orangutans are self aware, so who are we to say they can't have a cheeky smoke.

ALS

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Friggin hilarious is all I can say I'm still rolling over the one jumpstarting at the end. Shows how unintelliegent humans can be.....

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
that's messed up, blame people's addictive behaviour, them orangutans need to smoke some herb if they want to kick the addiction

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
there's nothing funny about this...

it's a testament to our negative footprint on this planet.

instead of respecting an orangutan as a creature of this planet, it's locked up AND hooked on death sticks?!?!?!?

this was actually heart breaking to watch..

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
-sorry, but the impications of some of the comments above - on a site largely devoted to conspiracies - is just funny beyond recognition.

Smoking is not your problem, orangutang-spin or not. Your problem is living in a world where somebody is making obscene amounts of profits whenever you think you're sick. Or even better (when they have their way) when THEY tell you you're sick.

Apart from the religious origins (do your historical research) the origins of your concerns come from the same source. Just follow the money, it's blindingly obvious.

And now I think I'll have another cigarette, I think I'm done here.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Guy told me a joke once that illustrates the difference in intelligence between monkeys, chimps, and orangutans.

If you give a monkey a clear box with some food in it, screwed shut, and hand him a screwdriver, he'll just randomly hit things with the screwdriver and box and maybe eventually break it open.

The chimp will do something similar, but over time he'll figure out some patterns. He'll notice that the screwdriver has a slot it fits into, and gradually work out how to turn it and get the lid open and the food out.

The orangutan, however, will leave the box, take the screwdriver and make for the lock on the door.

edit on 18-9-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button makes me happy

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's interesting that they can do that but the appalling conditions of the enclosures sickened me. Look at all the filth and trash in the enclosure. There should never have been any way for people to throw cigarettes in there. Apart from the health hazard, there is the fire hazard. I'm not a fan of zoos in general but I understand some serve as refuges for animals who are endangered in their native habitat or otherwise unable to live free due to other reasons. I understand Indonesia isn't considered a wealthy country but in this day and age, given that none of us exist in a vacuum and can exchange knowledge and technology between countries, their zoo managers should at least have a working knowledge of how to set up basic barriers, signs, and hire sufficient personnel to protect their animals from passing idiots. If they can't manage that much it is a disgrace and reflects poorly on them and they should not even bother. That being said, the National Zoo in DC is no gem, either. The press and the public have been open about discussion of its poor management issues to no avail. But at least the last time I was there, the renovated areas were clean, the visitors were respectful, and the animals weren't taking smoke breaks.

top topics

join