It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI to Find Alien Signals Within Next 15 Years....Maybe .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I agree with most of what you say, but the fact is , they arent going to find ANYTHING unless they step up to the plate and use the information available to them to assist them in thier search.

Let me give you an example. If I am looking for a sock that I have lost, I wont check the living room, and I wont check the bathroom. I wont check my sisters room,or my mothers, and nor will I look where we keep the crockery. I will check the kitchen where the washing machine and clothes horse are, and I will check my bedroom.

What SETI have been doing, is somewhat like searching under the floorboards for a lost mp3 player or a sock. Its in the house, sure, but not under the floor boards. Similarly , theres no point looking in areas of space which have no planets in them.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I always found setis radio scanning very much clutching at straws.

Producting radio signals is somthing we have only got in the last 100 years or so, in thousands of years of evolution just the very last tip of our existance and no doubt phased out for newer technologys in the next few hundred. Thats just our narrow window of using EM waves.

Im not saying they shouldnt look, im saying that saying things like "15 years we will have somthing" is rather optomistic for me.

stars and solar systems have been exploding and recombining for 13 billion years or more, seti hopes to find a narrow window of radio transmissions while pionting at the right spot at the right time, even with the drake equasion saying theres millions of current civilizations out there, the changces of finding one close enough, with the right window of technological advancedment, well i see why the first seti didnt last.

Thought i do support it,i feel there should be more alternative ways to detetect real civilizations rather than just relying on seti's remotly small chance to detect EM waves.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't know why are they so pessimistic about finding Alien signals?
Are we so incapable to find an alien signal?

We live in extremely large Universe.Let's say there are about million civilizations in the whole Universe(there are probably more,but this is just an example) then how we can't find ANY,not ANY signal from Aliens?
Something doesn't fit in.

Or we already did find an alien signal,but it hasn't been told to the public,yet.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

Well it can't be helping matters that those with the enormous radio telescope arrays at thier periodic disposal, are pointing them in dead directions. What they have been doing is this. They have a look at some star charts, they pick the closest, or the most interesting and based on these loose parameters they choose a star system, or cluster, and point,and click and pray.

With the new information that has been hitting the media for a considerable time, about exoplanets being discovered, they COULD have changed thier search patterns right away ,to accomodate that information, but I have heard nothing of the sort. I would hope that in the future they use this information to the very best of thier ability.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
I don't know why are they so pessimistic about finding Alien signals?
Are we so incapable to find an alien signal?

We live in extremely large Universe.Let's say there are about million civilizations in the whole Universe(there are probably more,but this is just an example) then how we can't find ANY,not ANY signal from Aliens?
Something doesn't fit in.

Or we already did find an alien signal,but it hasn't been told to the public,yet.

Because for seti to detect it it has to be a signal intentionally direct toward us and modulated at 1420Hz,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join