It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI to Find Alien Signals Within Next 15 Years....Maybe .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It looks like the reborn SETI Institute is coming back with a plan to to justify their continued existence by finding what has eluded them over the last few decades.
In an interview with Livescience.com SETI says that when the team resumes its radio signal-scouring next week the newly discovered super-Earths will be first on its telescope target list .

"When the array is again operational we will go back to our exploration of exoplanets," Jill Tarter, director of the Center for SETI Research at the Institute, told Life's Little Mysteries. Unfortunately, HD 85512b is too far south to be targeted by the Allen Telescope Array, SETI's main detector. "We will, however, add those exoplanets reported by [ESO] that are visible to our list of targets. The more planets the better!"

And on the timeline for the discovery

However, that estimate predated the recent boom in exoplanet discoveries. "It was not long ago that we had only wild guesses about the number of stars with planets," said Gerald Harp, an astrophysicist at the SETI Institute. "I believe our earlier guesses were too low -- a large proportion of stars are now believed to host Earth-like planets.
We now know that perhaps 1 percent of stars have planets where biological life may arise. We also know where some of those planets are."
Considering this new information, Harp thinks scientists will have to search only 100,000 stars before detecting alien signals, and that they'll manage to examine that many in the next 15 years. "Fortunately for me, I expect to still be actively pursuing research in 15 years, so I will be around when it happens!" Harp said.

www.cbsnews.com...

I hope he's right , I must admit that I'm not SETI's biggest fan but hopefully the close shave with closure has sharpened and refocused their minds and they can live up to the potential I once thought they had .

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Greetings,

There is no way the other world brothers (OWB ) could communicate on the band widths we're searching. They would be old and probably dead before they could exchange any quantity of messages. This is just another way of saying, "we looked, but there wasn't any thing there.

If you search you'll find that there have been discussions among experts about how the OWBs could be communicating instantly over light years.

There are also reports of transmissions intercepted on special, exotic bands.

And if you did intercept, what good would it do you, you wouldn't understand their language anyway. Isn't the huge amount of sightings and landings enough for us? When they are ready to communicate, they will.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgeH
Greetings,

There is no way the other world brothers (OWB ) could communicate on the band widths we're searching. They would be old and probably dead before they could exchange any quantity of messages. This is just another way of saying, "we looked, but there wasn't any thing there.

If you search you'll find that there have been discussions among experts about how the OWBs could be communicating instantly over light years.

There are also reports of transmissions intercepted on special, exotic bands.

And if you did intercept, what good would it do you, you wouldn't understand their language anyway. Isn't the huge amount of sightings and landings enough for us? When they are ready to communicate, they will.

Although standard Radio transmissions are a slow and unrealistic way for any race to communicate between the stars.....we might be able to pick up radio transmissions of a distant race of aliens that has at one time gone through a development of Radio tech.

These transmissions....just like our own....are continuing through interstellar space. Perhaps some race is roght now trying to decode what to us is....I LOVE LUCY. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I have never been sold on the idea of SETI and their method of looking for ET signals. The idea that advanced civilizations would be communicating across the vastness of space using radio waves is a little absurd. Its much more likely they would use some form of exotic quantum communication. We have a better chance of finding an ET email in the detectors at the LHC, but nobody has even thought to take a look for one.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeH

I don't think the goal is to have a conversation with them , but to find the evidence that they exist and we know were they are , then we will at least have our feet on the first rung of the ladder .

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Greetings,

I agree.

I check the web after posting and it seems that NSA has intercepted communications in space.
Not only that, they released the info with their decoding.

CK this: www.nsa.gov...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeH

I think you will find that that was a technical exercise for their code breakers , there were many threads on it last year

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeH
[more

I think you will find that what you are refering to was a training exercise for a 'what if' scenario, so we have an idea of what to do, possible ideas etc. This was not a signal from another world, there are threads on ATS about it if you use the search function.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
SETI is its own achilles heel. They search in a narrow-band input, therefore they may be searching the wrong kind of signals. They've been criticized by other scientists of this, and I believe it is a project that has failed before it has even realized it itself.

Benford beacons seems to be the more realistic approach.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Greetings,

Thanks for the info. NSA didn't say it was an exercise on what I saw.

Another thought though. Considering some of the reports,(hopefully correct) about OWB conduct and seeing some of the debris strewn around on the moon, I sometimes wonder if he biggest difference is just the technology and that they suffer with some of the same shortcomings we do. LITTER BUGS!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
SETI is such a waste of time, effort, money, and resources. If they want to contact aliens, or even show/prove their existence, then turn your time and energy towards our own government, who's been hiding it for decades.

I'm sorry, but with all the evidence that we've been visited for thousands of years, and that our government at the very least has recovered and reverse engineered alien technology, I just find sending radio signals into space a complete and hopeless waste. If anything, I believe SETI is a government front, with the purpose of making us think that humanity has never come into contact with ET's, and that we are still searching for any possible sings of intelligent life beyond our own.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Seti might be a waste but i'm guessing it could be the tool the governments use to eventually disclose the truth about aliens. I think there would be a lot less panic if seti said we found a signal and they are reasonably far away than if full blown disclosure was released.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by shamdaddy
Seti might be a waste but i'm guessing it could be the tool the governments use to eventually disclose the truth about aliens. I think there would be a lot less panic if seti said we found a signal and they are reasonably far away than if full blown disclosure was released.

Disclosure will not happen in our lifetime....and reguardless of some folks concepts that we are being PREPED for disclosure....that is not the case. It will be at a minimum a century or more before disclosure of anykind.
Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
SETI is doomed to failure. Not because the lack of life, but because the conditions for success are so narrow.

There is a large misconception among people that SETI is listening for radio signals like the type our planet emits on a daily basis. This is NOT the case. Technology to detect that does not exist. What SETI is looking for are deliberate narrow band signals. IE: Some alien civilization found Earth, and deliberately beamed a signal to it. Furthermore, SETI only listens at the frequency band near 1420 Hz, because this is the frequency Hydrogen resonates at, and they assume any advanced ET will know this (another assumption) So for SETI to succeed, an alien planet has to beam us a signal at 1420 hz and to detect it SETI would have to be listening at that exact time, to that exact point in the sky at the time it arrived, otherwise it would be missed. The odds are so against it you have a better chance of winning the powerball within 15 years then SETI detecting a signal.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This guy isn't very good at math or probabilities...

Let's say the "15 year" predicition is right. There's nothing stopping them from finding a signal [
] on the first try, just as much probability as the 100,000th one.

SETI not very smart....

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavalFC
SETI is doomed to failure. Not because the lack of life, but because the conditions for success are so narrow.

You are of course right, and the chances are really very, very slim.

But given our current status quo of technology, this is in fact the ONLY halfway reasonable way to do it. And there might a super-tiny likelihood that other technological civilizations have figured that out also.

But regardless of the extremely slim chance to find such a signal - the other question (IMHO) should be how smart it would actually be to announce our existence eg. by beaming out messages.

Seriously, i don't think it's a smart thing to do trying to "attract" extraterrestrials that way. There is simply nothing which would indicate that they would be friendly...respective that the discovery of another civilization would be IN BENEFIT of the discovered civilization, especially if technologically inferior. That such a "first contact" would all be happiness and chocolate pie i HIGHLY doubt. It's just in the nature of "nature" that everything which is different is destroyed and seen as an enemy, different species/animals etc. are NOT living together peacefully by default, not here on Earth and likely not out in space.

Furthermore, i think that if a species has indeed developed interstellar travel, they will have a REASON why they do it. It's not frickin' Star Trek - it's likely that a civilization does interstellar space travel because of more sinister reasons, like resources...or maybe to destroy other species simply because they might see other species as a threat.
edit on 18-9-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
I have never been sold on the idea of SETI and their method of looking for ET signals. The idea that advanced civilizations would be communicating across the vastness of space using radio waves is a little absurd. Its much more likely they would use some form of exotic quantum communication.

It is not absurd at all. However, the notion that we shouldn't bother looking because hypothetical alien civilizations may be using to some hitherto unknown form of communication now, is patently absurd.

Certainly, there may be civilizations out there that have seen their technology evolve beyond using radio waves for communication. But, while they may be using those advanced technologies now, chances are in the past they may have used radio waves to communicate. Given the size of space and the time required to travel those distances, the ancient communications of alien civilization may still be out there, waiting for us to find them. It is also not a stretch to think advanced civilizations may use more primitive technologies to communicate with those less advanced.

It is also absurd to assume that every civilization out there is far-more advanced than our own. There may be others out there who's level of technology mirrors our own or that may have attempted to communicate us sometime in the past. A radio signal that left a star twenty light years away in the 80s would just now be reaching us. One from a star 1000 light years away, sent in the 1100s may just now be reaching us.

It is amazing the level of ignorance about SETI that UFO believers have. You would think they would be chief among its supporters.
edit on 18-9-2011 by WingedBull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Well Im not being funny, but these people absolutely HAVE to speed up. These planets have been being discovered for a while now. First job should have been to look at the newly discovered locations where exo planets could be found. There shouldnt have been this massive disconnect between the time the first exo planet was discovered, and the time SETI were looking in that direction.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I'm no expert on SETI so am not aware if this interview signals a new strategy or not , I hope it is .
I've been quite skeptical of SETI over the years but hopefully their close encounter with closure and the resulting publicity they've received will give them the finance and determination to succeed , after all as mentioned above they are our only real hope of finding our neighbors .... unless ET decide to park their ships over a city or two in full view of everybody , or even less likely a government decides to spill the beans .

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm uncertain about SETIs chances of success.
But hey, you can't win the lottery if you don't play.
Are there any recommendations on what they should be looking for if not radio signals?
What other detectable signals of intelligent life are there?
I'm not sarcastic here btw. I seriously don't know.
edit on 18-9-2011 by derpif because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join