It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney backs gay relationships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

At a campaign rally in this Mississippi River town, Mr Cheney was asked about his stand on gay marriage - an issue for which his boss, President George W. Bush, has pushed for a constitutional amendment to ban such unions.

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with," Mr Cheney said. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

news.com.au...

I'm not qualified on U.S. politics, but good on him in my opinion.
Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow...I knew his daughter was Homosexual, but I didn't expect Cheney to say that. If he truely means it....then.....(I cant believe I'm about to say this).......good for him!

Ugh....that was really hard to say when talking about Cheney, but credit where credit is due, politics aside!

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I agree Jazzerman.

After all she can't help it that dad is a thief.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a lot of people on this thread have implied, or out right declared, cheney is the real controller in the white house, that bush is just his puppet. but doesn't this news contradict that. simply, cheney is for gay marriage, and bush is against it. we know that because bush was a fan of the amendment to the constitution to ban gay marriage. in any case, if cheney really was the one in power, wouldn't it be his views coming out of the white house (i.e. pro-gay marriage acts)? i would expect so, but instead just the opposite is happening. so which is it? does cheney control bush, or is that just paranoid talk.

sorry, i said this thread...i meant this forum.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by astroblade]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
a lot of people on this thread have implied, or out right declared, cheney is the real controller in the white house, that bush is just his puppet. but doesn't this news contradict that. simply, cheney is for gay marriage, and bush is against it. we know that because bush was a fan of the amendment to the constitution to ban gay marriage. in any case, if cheney really was the one in power, wouldn't it be his views coming out of the white house (i.e. pro-gay marriage acts)? i would expect so, but instead just the opposite is happening. so which is it? does cheney control bush, or is that just paranoid talk.

sorry, i said this thread...i meant this forum.

Just saw your final sentence, which obviously you edited in. So, really, this has nothing to do with this thread, does it?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
valhall, perhaps you moderators should coordinate more. the only thing i edited was making the addition of that last alone sentence, so as to correct myself. i tried to create my own thread asking essentially the same thing i did here, and it was locked by another moderator, he then directed me to this thread and kindly suggested i try posting my original question here. the relevance of this question to this particular thread is the new information that on the gay marriage issue cheney and bush are completely different. this news provides a comparitive situation rarely seen between bush and cheney. now, why did you respond to my post without answering my question? you could at least give your opinion.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
cheney is for gay marriage, and bush is against it.

I'm not sure Cheney has said he supports gay marriage. In the quote in question, he says, "People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to," which is not the same as saying he supports gay marriage.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i understand what you're saying Grady, but please consider the entire article. the first thing you should notice is the headline, "Cheney backs gay relationships". i know, it's actually somewhat of a misleading headline, mainly because no where in the article does cheney actually say "i support gay marriage", but it doesn't take much thinking to realize what his position is. the article goes on to say cheney talked supportively of gay marriage. consider the quote "People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."... well you tell me what that means if not he supports gay marriage. plus we all know of instances in which politicians say things with out actually saying them. there is one part at the bottom of the article that says bush and cheney BACK the constitutional ban...basically it says he still supports the ban, but that may be an issue of verb tense, since the ban has already been defeated. although, even if he does support the ban, then what should we make of all the other points i've given. i do believe cheney supports gay marriage. now considering that, doesn't this contradict the idea the cheney controls bush?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Cheney did not have a choice; his wife went public openly backing up gays.

He can only agree with her or it will not look good in their political campaign, after all bush is well known for his opposition to gays, so to be fair to the public and "potential republican gays voters" somebody has to take side with them and why not Cheney after all his daughter is gay.

That does not mean he will back them up later

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrobladei do believe cheney supports gay marriage. now considering that, doesn't this contradict the idea the cheney controls bush?

I apologize for not having read the entire article. When I did read it, though, I found this:

While Mr Bush and Mr Cheney back the proposed constitutional amendment, their Democratic rivals, Senators John Kerry of Massachusetts and John Edwards of North Carolina, oppose the amendment.

I would like to say that I oppose gay marriage as an absurdity that does not deserve consideration by the larger society because gay marriage offers nothing to society in return. The relationship between society and the individual is a reciprocal one and the obligation of the individual to society is greater than the obligation of the society to the individual. Also, the family and not the individual, is the elemental component of the society, so everything that weakens the institution that fosters the family should be discouraged by society, including gay marriage and divorce.

I am however, sympathetic to the needs of gay couples whose wishes toward one another in the case of the death of one or the other are not honored by the decedent's family. Because of these cases, I do support there being a legal agreement that can be entered into by any two people to allow for inheritance rights equal to those of married couples.

I also do not support a Constitutional amendment against gay marriage as it is not the functiion of the Constitution to dictate the funcitoning of all social institutions. We would be far better served by a Constitutional amendment which limits the power of "activist" judges who impose their personal agendas on the society.

I hope this clarifies my position on this topic for those who have jumped to conclusions on the basis of my previous posts on this topic. That is if anyone actually reads my posts.

[edit on 04/8/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
He supports this because his daughter is gay.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Cheney did not have a choice; his wife went public openly backing up gays.

He can only agree with her or it will not look good in their political campaign, after all bush is well known for his opposition to gays, so to be fair to the public and "potential republican gays voters" somebody has to take side with them and why not Cheney after all his daughter is gay.

That does not mean he will back them up later

This is one time you and I disagree. Cheney is a proponent of individual rights and personal choice. That is the ONE thing that impressed me during his debate with Lieberman back in 2000. He stated in no uncertain terms that the government should not try and prohibit or regulate the personal lives of adults.

This is simply an area where his personal beliefs differ from that of Bush and he should be given credit for it.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Bleys,

Its ok to disagree, but this is political year and politicians will do what they need to do to get the votes.
And Cheney has not choice but to side with wife and daughter, and make the republican party more gay and lesbian friendly.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Now someone, somewhere will say...gosh that Bush/Cheney ticket isn't all bad. I guess I will vote for them even though they offically want to ban gay marriage since at least half of them do so reluctantly.

End of story.

top topics

join