It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we ban the use of caps in thread titles?? please??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Note: I used caps in my thread title to give you guys an idea of how unnecessary it is if you have not previously felt this before - I'm sure you all can see how "Can we ban the use of caps in thread titles? Please?" would be just as fine without using the caps.

ATS Does not need to be a shouting match, but a lot of people make it out to be one....It gets a bit lame when people clamor over each other for attention adding things like "RED ALERT" and "LEAKED", "UNBELIEVABLE" and "MUST SEE" to their thread titles.

I find this completely unnecessary. People are using caps to Shout their thread titles. Caps should only be used when applicable like for acronyms like NASA, USA, FEMA....

If ATS already regulates shouting within the thread (example - in All-caps posts), why doesnt ATS regulate shouting in the thread titles?

edit on 15-9-2011 by Gazrok because: Banned caps in thread titles

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I thought they did already.

I know they fixed one of my threads back a year ago or so, and it was just one word.

The whole title was fine but one word was all caps, they went and fixed it and sent me a u2u explained they don't allow all caps on normal words in thread titles.

So I guess it just takes time for mods to fix it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I DON'T THINK WE CAN BAN CAPS, IT'S TOO IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO GRAB OUR ATTENTION!!!!!!11!!!!1!!ELEVEN!!1!!

Seriously though. Yes. Yes. For the love of all that is good, yes.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I don't know how they enforce it really....

I spend most of my time on the New Topics live.php which shows the top topics at the time, and often you see stuff in there with all caps like currently there is a RED ALERT, but I bet you within the week we'll have an UNBELIEVABLE and a MUST SEE make the top thread lists. It was my understanding that it takes a while for a thread to make that list, and after a few pages you'd expect a Mod to come across it and make the proper change, but it appears this doesn't really happen....

Not to mention crazy use of "!!!!!!!!!" too

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
If you are copying a headline from a news report they are often going to be in caps.

if you wanna ban them i am not gonna post the news report because I have to retype some long headlines and most lightly get them wrong.

edit on 15-9-2011 by JohnySeagull because: had to edit for more spelling mistakes , not even headlines

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I agree and also things like this.. A thread someone made yesterday was called.

religion....ELENIN... toothfairy

The thing is.. His rant never even mentioned elenin.. Or had anything to do with it.. It was a rant about ats and religion. But he still put it In caps in the middle (just like I did) Obviously to make people read his rant...

Sometimes it's truly ridiculous the stunts people pull here to grab attention.. They are no better than the tabloids like 'the sun' etc

They should ban caps.. I know the complete title in caps will be changed by mods.. But keywords are still allowed.. Like ELENIN!!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
If you are copying a headline from a news report they are often going to be in caps.

if you wanna ban them i am not gonna post the news report because I have to retype some long headlines and most lightly get them wrong.

edit on 15-9-2011 by JohnySeagull because: had to edit for more spelling mistakes , not even headlines

Come on Johny.. How long would it take to retype a headline?

It's really not pleasing in the eyes to HAVE words JUMPING out when you are TRYING!!!!! To READ something...

Especially when it is completely UNECCASARY!!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

sorry. copy and paste is my best friend. i am guaranteed to feck it up if i am retyping it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

IIRC the requirement to copy the article title only applied to the Breaking Alternative News forum and not the other forums.

Currently looking through the Breaking Alternative News forum there are only two non-acronyms typed in caps (damn you dailymail.uk!) ...One of them is legit, the dailymail link, but the other doesn't appear to be so.

Overall I think caps are being misused across the whole site in thread titles.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I just re-read this thread to catch up on the latest posts...
even our own sarcastic references in caps make me die a little bit inside.

*sob*

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Not trying to be anything here but whats the big deal? They are only are slightly bigger versions of letters you read. Nothing to ruin your hour over. It's CAPS so what. I find it odd it bothers people so much. Pretty sure I saw a blurb about all caps in the title thing not being all that kosher. Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Members have been asked to avoid using all-caps in thread titles, but here as in "real life" the false sense of self-importance sometimes rears its head, no? One of those things we all must live with...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 15-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
LOL At least one Mod picks up some of this dirty work - cheers to Gazrock for editing my thread title =)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

NO! OK.

CJ

new topics

top topics

join