It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Your Dental Work Killing You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Have you ever had a dental filling. If so do you know what it was made of. The last thread I found on here was from 2009 so I thought I would give out some new information. The type of filling I'm talking about is Amalgam. It is a mercury based and is a silver looking metal in your teeth.

LINK

There are several safe alternatives to this filling but around 50% of dentists still use this poison on people. Its also scary that if you do have these fillings and wish to have them removed your dentist may not know how to do so and can end up destroying your health. Not only that but it has been proven that a mother who has these fillings will pass on the mercury poisoning to there child through breast feeding.

That is why the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's advisory panel on dental amalgam in December 2010 warned against the use of amalgam in vulnerable populations and insisted that FDA had a duty to disclose amalgam's risks to parents and consumers. As panelist Dr. Suresh Kotagal – a pediatric neurologist at the Mayo Clinic – summed it up, there is "no place for mercury in children." The FDA panelists are not alone. Other countries are already working to protect vulnerable populations, especially children, from exposure to amalgam.

Exposure to mercury can seriously affect the health of both patients and dental professionals, and early exposure to low doses of mercury (during pregnancy and through breastfeeding) increases the risk of a decrease in the intelligence quotient (IQ) among children.… According to the World Health Organization in 2005, certain studies show that mercury may have no threshold below which some adverse effects do not occur."2

It is known that the mercury from amalgam can cause reproductive harm – dental mercury even crosses the placenta and accumulates in unborn babies. Due to mercury exposure from amalgam in the workplace, dental workers – including dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants – are at particular risk for suffering reproductive harm. Studies have shown that dental workers have elevated systemic mercury levels.6 Many of these dental workers are women of child-bearing age, which makes them particularly susceptible to the occupational hazards associated with handling mercury.

Even if you do not have amalgam in your mouth, your health is still at risk from amalgam. Amalgam leaches into the environment via multiple pathways, polluting our water via dental clinic releases and human waste; our air via cremation, dental clinic emissions, sludge incineration, and respiration; and our land via landfills, burials, and fertilizer. Once in the environment, dental mercury converts to its even more toxic form, methylmercury, and becomes a major source of mercury in the fish people and other animals eat.

Research has shown that if you do not take proper safety precautions during the removal process, mercury levels in your blood can rise three to four-fold, which may result in acute toxicity. Hence, it's extremely important to find a biological dentist that is trained in properly removing mercury fillings

I do not understand why so many dentists still use this filling.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have many silver fillings and I can feel the difference in me now compared to how I was before them.
I demand the more expensive white fillings now even when my dentist recommends the silver for back teeth.

My dentist knows about fluoride though, says he wishes he knew about it earlier but what's done is done, yet he still uses the mercury based fillings in his patients.
He told me he doesn't like removing them because it's actually more harmful to you having them drilled out into dust particles, which can be swallowed and inhaled, than it is to just leave them in.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Yes in the link it said it was very dangerous to remove them you have to take all sorts of crazy precautions because you can end up poisoning the doc and the patient. It just amazes me that so many of them still use this. The only reason I can think of is its cheaper.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

Here in Norway they banned that # like a decade ago.
But sadly it seems like the new "plastic" fillings arent as harmless as they thought either. Read some article that they have found that those also do leech some chemicals which might or might not have long term effects.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have the white fillings that goodness! My friends mother had the old kind, had them removed. She couldn't eat a thing since she didn't have them replaced with anything. 6 years later she died of cancer. Her body was eatten up with it. She changed over to an alternative lifestyle to late I think. She was in her 50's.

There is a docu that mentions this in it, but I cannot remember the name at the moment. The guy went to a bunch of different dentist's offices and could not find one that knew what they used in their fillings. They all acted like it was perfectly safe. Maybe the anwser here is educating the dentists. They aren't informed, they just use what they are given to use.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Do you have a link for it? I'd like to read it but couldn't find it.I'm lucky enough that I've only had 2 cavities (knock on wood). But I didn't get fillings or root canals or what ever crap they wanted to do I just had them pulled. Everyone I've ever known who has got fillings had pain or other issues with them and the ones who have root canals seem to lose the tooth in a year anyways. My dentist always gets mad when I tell him to yank it less money for him if he can't do all that crap but better for me!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

I'm sorry about your friends mom. I've always had a feeling my sisters death was due to getting her teeth cleaned. The dentist was very rough when cleaning them and her gums were very swelled and bleeding. The next day she had flu like symptoms 2 weeks later she died of a heart attack she was 37 years old and lived a very healthy life style.Later on I read a story on how the bacteria from the scraping can enter your blood stream and damage your heart!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I do not understand why so many dentists still use this filling.

Many don't, but they are not allowed to tell you why, or ever infer any apparent risk. You should check out "The beautiful truth" as it has a segment on this specifically showing the mercury can actually emit vapor.

Like I said, many dentists don't use mercury fillings anymore. In fact, the last time my wife went in for dental work the dentist actually replaced the "silver" fillings (mercury) because he, and I quote, "didn't like them"

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why isn't this video in this thread yet?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I just had 3 fillings done and the dentist office i go to don't offer any metal looking fillings. They are this new tooth like filling or gold. My dentist office match my new filling to my teeth and you cant even tell ware the filling is located, thats how good of a match the color is. And the best part is there is no mercury in the fillings i have and they are very safe. Also the dentist office i go to use lasers to do root canals and also use lasers to remove the cavities to do fillings, the best part is they don't need to freeze your mouth or use a rubber umbrella and its faster than drilling. The dentist office i go to is in Canada. I dint even know some dentist offices still use mercury based fillings, but i guess i learn something new every day. Also im not rich or even in the middle class, nor do i have any debt and all my stuff is paid for and never do i make payments on them.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

My father is a dentist, and since he started practice in the early 1980's he never used amalgam. I have a few fillings myself and they're all composite. I, nor he, never understood why other dentists would use mercury fillings, (1) because they look terrible and (2) they're dangerous enough that they're taken out of your mouth before you're cremated so that it doesn't enter the smoke that's released into the air. That last one should be scary enough. If your dentist is still filling your teeth using mercury/silver amalgam, switch dentists because he/she is obviously not interested in your health. Composite material has been around for decades and the sad thing is that there are a lot of people who just simply never knew because their dentist never told them. Composite material is the only thing your dentist should offer, not only is it safe but it's aesthetic.
edit on 15-9-2011 by Resonant because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2011 by Resonant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
No jokes about British teeth and the NHS please!

Amalgam fillings are still the norm with just about all dentists here, especially NHS ones. Theyre cheap for both the patient, the dentist and the NHS and tbh I dont think that many people bother about them, as long as the pain is taken care of thats all that matters to them. My dentist doesnt take NHS patients for whatever reason but they still use amalgam as the standard unless asked by the patient to use composite fillings.

I had a crap load of fillings (amalgam) for about 15 years; I started using a "natural" toothpaste in my late teens but since I didnt have great teeth to start with the fillings became the new norm whenever I went to the dentist. Skip to around 15 years later and whenever I ate something spicy or hot the underside of my tongue would nip.

For about 2 months this carried on and then I developed white blotches along the side of my tongue and this is where the pain was coming from. I go to the dentist and am told I had Leukoplakia but the cause was unknown and I would have to visit the Dental Hospital for a biopsy. The results were that it wasn't any of the usual causes, nor were the lesions precancerous. Instead their diagnosis was that it was my amalgam fillings wearing down and this was causing the pain.

About £1000 later, with a few new fillings and a couple of porcelain crowns my mouth has been fine. I occasionally feel that the nippy pain is coming back but I think Im just a bit paranoid and who wouldnt be.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ficargul

Oh believe me I won't be making fun of brit teeth I grew up in the back hills of West Virginia where most people couldn't afford food let alone toothbrushes your fellow country men have nothing on my hillbillys
I'm so sorry you had to go through that . Isn't it a shame that they've had the info on how bad these are for your health for years yet because there cheap they still use them. Money,Money,Money that seems to be all that matters to people these days. I hope everything stays good for you and thank god it wasn't cancerous!

top topics

join