It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Rumsfeld and Pentagon Faulted In Abuse Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
An investigation on US military detention operations in Iraq has concluded that top Pentagon Officials, including Donald Rumsfeld contributed to the environment at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq where detainees were abused. Supposedly this was reported by a defense official who aks not to be known and the official report should come out later today.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A high-level panel investigating U.S. military detention operations has concluded that top Pentagon officials and the military command in Iraq contributed to an environment in which detainees were abused at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, a defense official said on Tuesday.

The independent Pentagon panel headed by former Defense Secretary James Schlesinger found that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and the Joint Chiefs of Staff failed to exercise proper oversight over confusing detention policies at U.S. prisons in Iraq, Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Cuba, the official said.

But the official, who asked not to be identified, stressed that the four-member group, scheduled to release its report later on Tuesday, did not conclude that Rumsfeld or military leaders directly ordered abuse such as stripping prisoners naked and sexually humiliating them in a scandal that has drawn international condemnation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I expected that Rummy had something to do with this, however, I would love to see that he actually ordered the abuse to happen, but he's too smart for that.

Related links

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 24-8-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 25-8-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 8-26-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I gotta say... I'm not sure if I oppose using psychological techniques to gain information from a prisoner of war. When most countries capture prisoners... humiliation is the least of the captive's worries. I couldn't administer this kind of treatment myself, but I'm not sure if it counts as a war crime. I'm not a big Rummy fan, but this whole prison thing was barely news worthy IMO. I think we've forgotten how REAL bad guys treat their prisoners.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Most of these prisoners were not actually the enemy after all, and they proved it, when they released them after the abuse was discovered and the scandal came into the light so actually most of the people in the jail were innocent after all.

[edit on 24-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Bush and his gang will go to jail.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If you think that Bush and his gang are going to jail then you're a dreamer, hehe (no offense). Hate to tell ya, but Clinton should be in prison as should Bush the elder and Reagan. Hell, Carter is probably the only president of the 20th century that shouldn't have served prison sentences lol, and that's just because he was ineffective at everything he did lol. They're ALL a bunch of parasitic criminals seeking self service above all else.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So the basic jist is that you are Ok with removing any and all restrictions on how "enemy combatants" are dealt with in POW camps. Sounds like a powerful domino effect. If you remove doctrines, like that of the Geneva Convention, you then remove a lot of your own personal liberties which seems to fall in line with the Bush camp. Liberties are not limited to the freedoms that you have. Liberties also are there to protect you. My fear is that soon, any one who speaks against the governmant will ultimately be deemed an enemy combatant and if and when that happens, we should all move to Switzerland. If America chooses to take a moral high ground, as we so often do, then we most postulate that image on a consistant basis, not just when we feel like it.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Bush and his gang will go to jail.

No they wont. However as a Republican, I am appaled at the Whitewashing that is going on. If we lose the moral highground thats it folks. Rumsfield at the very least should own up and resign. Or at least the General staff that controlled the area. In the military commanders are always responsable for the conduct of thier troops period.

top topics

join