It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the moon seem extra bright to you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Here in Japan the last Night was dedicated to this special Full Moon,
it is a kind of national Holiday, People gather, drink, eat and laugh!

Even the day is called *Autumnal Moon Watching Day*
edit on 12-9-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2011 by Human0815 because: sorry, spell

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

That's not what struck me this year though. It was the colour of the moon that has me wondering. Usually it has somewhat of a gray tone to it right? Now it's just about pure white. The parts of the surface that are normally darker and stand out are now washed over by how bright the white parts are.

Yes! That's exactly what I saw. It seemed to have a different quality to it than a usual full moon, which as you say, is usually greying. Last night though, super white, super bright.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Why do people keep posting here? This was answered in the second post and Phage himself has told you why if you didn't want to take my word for it.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Why do people keep posting here? This was answered in the second post and Phage himself has told you why if you didn't want to take my word for it.

This is one of the funniest examples of the deification of certain members of the board "Phage himself," as if he should be greeted as "your highness." And really, what did Phage contribute to this?

Complete quote of his post:

The full Moon is tonight. It is not a "supermoon".

One sentence longer than the second post. So really not much and I'm supposed to bow down and say, 'If Phage said it, it must be true" ?

Fact of the matter is, I'm no kid and no dummy. I'm going on 40 with a graduate degree and a lifetime of observing full moons and it had a different quality than any other full moon I had observed in my subjective experience. In fact, this thread wasn't so much a "why" thread as a way to assess the subjective experiences of others. Tonight the moon is covered in clouds and difficult to see.

Such pithy analysis and weighty contributions to that end from you and Phage

Maybe because its a full moon.

and

Because I really wouldn't have known it was a full moon until you told me and wouldn't have believed it until Phage confirmed it. I've never seen a full moon in my life. Thank you for explaining it to me in such vivid scientific detail.

And in answer to your question, people keep posting here because they get the point of the thread and want to share their subjective experience.

And really, thanks again. At 40 your memory starts to go and you forget what things look like. I'm glad it was just a full moon and not some magical gigantic glowing white grapefruit. And if Phage said it, it must be true.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
reply to post by TsukiLunar

This is one of the funniest examples of the deification of certain members of the board "Phage himself," as if he should be greeted as "your highness." And really, what did Phage contribute to this?

Complete quote of his post:

One sentence longer than the second post. So really not much and I'm supposed to bow down and say, 'If Phage said it, it must be true" ?

Fact of the matter is, I'm no kid and no dummy. I'm going on 40 with a graduate degree and a lifetime of observing full moons and it had a different quality than any other full moon I had observed in my subjective experience. In fact, this thread wasn't so much a "why" thread as a way to assess the subjective experiences of others. Tonight the moon is covered in clouds and difficult to see.

Such pithy analysis and weighty contributions to that end from you and Phage

Maybe because its a full moon.

and

Because I really wouldn't have known it was a full moon until you told me and wouldn't have believed it until Phage confirmed it. I've never seen a full moon in my life. Thank you for explaining it to me in such vivid scientific detail.

And in answer to your question, people keep posting here because they get the point of the thread and want to share their subjective experience.

And really, thanks again. At 40 your memory starts to go and you forget what things look like. I'm glad it was just a full moon and not some magical gigantic glowing white grapefruit. And if Phage said it, it must be true.

Glad you understand! Have a nice night!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

edit on 13-9-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

Well I took another look at the moon tonight and it's nice and bright again. It almost seems to pulsate but when I grabbed my 8X binoculars it seems pretty normal besides being as bright as a floodlight above your head.

So I don't think the "harvest moon" has anything to do with it because that's just significant because the moon rises just as the sun sets around the autumnal equinox.

Phage is right about it not being a "super moon" either. I checked and it's not in perigee.

Perhaps the autumn air is beginning to cool and hold less moisture so more of the reflected sunlight is making it through the atmosphere?

Also, is that bright orangey-yellow planet to the southeast closer to the horizon Jupiter? It sure is bright too for being so far away. I remember going to an observatory when I was a kid to look at Jupiter. I don't remember it being that bright back then either.

ETA this all reminds me of an episode of "The Outer Limits" where the sun blew up and the moon looked big and bright right before the wave of destruction hit Earth. That one scared the crap out of me!

edit on 13/9/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by Human0815

I know that my English is very, very bad but People need to read it,
look- i wrote:

*Autumnal Moon Watching Day*

Nothing from a Supermoon, the Autumn comes every year
and the last Supermoon was in the Week after 3/11

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Be carefull you dont get moon burn...but yup very bright lately its been really hard to see it through telescope as its making my eyes sting more if i look for more than 10 seconds at a time

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

i have noticed this too here in the uk .... i was saying to hubby about 2 wks ago that as a child i remember the sun being a yellow colour, i was laying in the garden the other day and it didnt have an ounce of yellow it was pure white. im defo more drawn towards the beauty of the moon than the sun and just love looking at the moon. well on the march supermoon it was thick fog and we couldnt see a thing, then i got told a plane was seen spraying something over the sea a day or so beforehand, i didnt take too much notice at the time until this thread and it got the mind boggling!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join