It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another "Disappearing Thread" Thread (And Soon to Be Closed)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I would have posted this to the two existing threads on missing threads I found in the Board Business forum, but both threads are closed. Therefore:

Earlier today I clicked on a thread titled "It's not Nine". Or possibly "It's Not 9". The opening post was empty. A number of people posted to the thread asking what the thread was about. I posted a comment that went something like "So, does this have anything to do with the October 28, 2011 site/thread"

I just checked my posts so I could go back to the thread to see what was going on with it, but - POOF - All gone. Not even 404'ed. Just erased. No thread with that title. No post to that thread in my list of posts. It's another disappearing thread. So... what gives?
edit on 9/12/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos, title change, added 404 comment

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
In before 404
2nd

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
would it not have been deleted cause the opening post was empty?

just a thought...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

2 years and over 4000 posts on ATS and you haven't come across a deleted thread due to it's missing content not being posted?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
would it not have been deleted cause the opening post was empty?

just a thought...

I thought of that. But why erase it? Why not 404 it?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

edit on 12-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

2 years and over 4000 posts on ATS and you haven't come across a deleted thread due to it's missing content not being posted?

That's right. Kind of like "Seeing Cloaked UFO's" If it's been erased out of existence I wouldn't know about it in the first place. It just so happens that in this case I wanted to return to the thread in question, but it was deleted. Erased. Made to seem as if it never existed.
edit on 9/12/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Its starting to get really boring here.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

FOLLOW THE T.O.S!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Since you are familiar with disappearing threads, is it standard operating procedure for one's posts to be erased from an erased thread as well? There is no record of my post to that thread in the list of my posts either.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Since you are familiar with disappearing threads, is it standard operating procedure for one's posts to be erased from an erased thread as well? There is no record of my post to that thread in the list of my posts either.

Yes. Many posts of mine are no longer in existence, can't see my stars, nothing. It's better to just get rid of a blank OP thread than keep it around closed, takes up room and we already have a hard enough time doing searches so to not post duplicates.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

This isn't 4chan or GLP. This place isn't meant to entertain; it's meant to inform. Just the other day, I was the only person standing up against a thread full of sexual innuendos whilst the posts around me violating the ToS were getting stars by the second. As soon as the thread 404'D, a barrage of folks were whining and complaining about why the thread was 404'D. 404ing threads has been common practice by the moderators on ATS since I first joined, probably even longer.

A thread with no message getting 404'D? Gee, I wonder why?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

The thread wasn't 404'ed, it was completely removed, along with any record of my having posted to it. With no trail or record, and since the list of a members posts and threads goes back only so far, it is logical to ask just how many other threads have been "erased" instead of 404'ed. And how many posts have been erased as well. I thought ATS would somehow be above erasing history.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a55f88fe19bf.jpg[/atsimg]
Winston Smith, busily erasing history at the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth.
edit on 9/12/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Also commenting in an empty
thread would be off toppic
wouldn't it.
robbo.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I loved that book.
The movie?
Not so much

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

There is no difference between a 404'D thread and an erased thread. Whenever a thread is 404'D, all posts are erased from your profile, so any posts you have made in said 404'D thread are gone. Also, Google and ATS search cache will only keep it up for so long (sometimes just a couple of hours) before it's gone. Unless you have more proof to back up what you are saying, it just sounds like the typical 404'D thread due to violation of the ToS.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

OK, I fold. As in "I give up". Moving on now...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

OK, I fold. As in "I give up". Moving on now...

The best thread about nothing that I've ever seen. (Pun intended.)

new topics

top topics

join