It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreaming.. Can it give us the answers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Consider the following:

-In a dream you perceive a short amount of time as a long amount of time.
BUT, you only realize that when your awake. So that means while dreaming
your mind(?) is taking in information way faster then in the real world.
But in the dream you we're experiencing it like it was normal time.

= So in dreaming we can point out that time is perceived at the same rate
no matter how fast the information is entering your mind.

Which brings me to the next point:

So lets say one minute in the real world is one hour in the dream world.
So if your dreaming eight hours physically.. you dream 480 hours in one night.
Now, if in dreams you perceive the time to be normal, then you perceive 480 hours
of dreams without you knowing.

So this might explain why we don't remember ANYTHING. Except bits and pieces of a dream.

It seems as if we are experiencing a vast amount of information not comprehend-able
in the physical world. So if we perceive 480 hours X every night of our life.
Taking what seems like pictures out of these dreams, then we obviously
cant remember a lot about these dreams.

SO.... What about the life we lived before this? The reason we can't remember is because we can't comprehend it in this physical world. Some reincarnation stories come with pictures and glances. Just like dreams, yet we dream 480 hours. Our soul knows everything, but something forbids our soul from bringing information back.

-In most dreams with most people, they perceive a dream to be real.
They have no clue, nor do they care if its real or not.
Until you lucid dream. So from lucid dreaming we can instantly point out
that you have the POWER to know that it's real.

- We know that in lucid dreaming that possibilities are limitless.
Where do we go when we sleep? Our spirit perceives every single bit of those dreams.
But allowing our physical body to remember and keep such complex data is just impossible,
leaving us with bits.

I'm on to something.. Discussion much loved

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BruceEFury

In spiritual terms, yes it can and always have. In your mind you have the pineal gland which is said to be a portal into other worlds. The pineal gland is associated with the third eye, or in other words it IS the third eye.

Through our dreams we can unlock past lifes, or even future events . They are called windows of enlightenment for a reason.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

About the theory of everything maybe?

Someone said, the universe if so immensely big
that anything imagined will or has already happened.
I'm pretty sure if obama chased you around and destroyed people
They anything can happen. What else do you think happened in those 480 hours you slept that night?

People are always looking for the answers to life, maybe its been there all along in front of our faces.
Through dreaming we can open a vast amount of discussion about the soul, afterlife and so on.
Dreams are heavily looked over and its time we started to talk about it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Normally you only dream for about 2 hours every night it happens during the REM sleep stage.

Edit: Actually some dreams do occur in other sleep stages but they are a lot less memorable and vivid.
edit on 11-9-2011 by 1d2a3n because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
'___' is all I have to say....

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by supermanning

Yes '___' is what gives us dreams, it's also released before death.. Connection perhaps?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I try to ask dream characters questions about their nature/the nature of the "dream world" when I realize I am lucid. That's one of my more recent dreaming goals. :-)

All I really know about dreaming is that it completely fascinates me. I like to think that maybe the dream plane is some kind of reality in which time doesn't exist, and that all interactions there have some reality beyond our minds. For ex., I like to think that dreams involving friends and relatives perhaps actually include real shared experiences with these other parties, but that they happen on a different time thread than that of our waking reality (meaning that you could have a dream involving an experience with a friend or relative that maybe hasn't been experienced by them yet -- no point in speaking about time relevance, I guess, if time is irrelevant in such dimensions).

I think it's mind-boggling if the mind can create the kind of dreamscapes/dream character interactions that it supposedly can. I honestly feel like dream dimensions are just as likely. I have had dreams involving VERY DEFINED landscapes/high-levels of detail and sensation that I simply can't understand how the brain could "render", to use tech. speak. I had a skydiving dream once for ex. in which a highly-detailed earth surface spun below me in stunning detail (the solutions we know to replicate such things in software for ex. involve a lot of mathematical calculations that we must either innately know subconsciously or have what's essentially specialized hardware from nature for). I also feel like I've experienced on-the-fly dialogue in dreams that I simply can't assume came solely from my imagination. It's just too random/out there/emergent. Also, when this kind of dialogue takes place in my dreams, I feel like when I am speaking, I think about what I am going to say, then I say it, just like RL. However, for dream characters, it feels to simply come from these characters in the dreams. I don't understand how our minds could do this, if we have to think at least a little for our own thoughts/speech. For ex., I am sometimes truly taken aback or surprised by something a dream character has said -- how could that be if I had to think (create) the response first? Our brains are either far more fascinating than we (even scientists) realize, or there's more to dreams than conventional wisdom would claim.
edit on 9/12/2011 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BruceEFury
reply to post by RisenAngel77

About the theory of everything maybe?

Someone said, the universe if so immensely big
that anything imagined will or has already happened.
I'm pretty sure if obama chased you around and destroyed people
They anything can happen. What else do you think happened in those 480 hours you slept that night?

People are always looking for the answers to life, maybe its been there all along in front of our faces.
Through dreaming we can open a vast amount of discussion about the soul, afterlife and so on.
Dreams are heavily looked over and its time we started to talk about it.

480 hours or "Time" is but an illusion of the ego. There is no proof that "time" actually exists. The "time" you perceive it to be is not really "time". The universe is infinite along with the source of the energy they provide. Just think of time only as a tool humans created to try and pin point a date or label it or to declare ones old age.

But when you have one conscious mind during meditation or lucid dreaming, you really do not have the concept of "time" effecting you.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Actually I have a lot of experience with lucid dreaming and inducing sleep paralysis and staying aware as I fall into different levels of consciousness and from my current experience(until I find out otherwise) in what felt like maybe 10 minutes was actually about 45 minutes of real-time.

As someone stated above '___' is released and seein that most people don't remember much of their '___' experience it would be similar to dreaming.

Partly the reason why people don't remember their dreams is because they are not aware/lucid the other part is that the '___' may be messing with that memory.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
maybe what we are doing while we sleep is hashing out a lot of those crazy possibilities. maybe the subconscious IS somewhat compressed. maybe it just runs like a download or upload and the conscious is the programs and the options that you chose and collectively we are all not on the same exact path but at least in the same jungle and that is why some feel so certain that dreams can connect you with others- which I believe to be true. when your subconscious starts finding within the files something with some relevancy to your open program or path... it opens the file. It only takes a short while to open but your dream seems to last much longer.

hmmm... I kinda like this theory.

for some reason it also makes me think about speech. you already know what you are going to say, but it might take you a little longer to put it into verbal format. everything we see is formatted for our senses... to pull in perception but it takes time to pull it in. where as what occurs in the mind is capable of holding quite a bit of information but accesses it when it needs it. maybe it's not so much that the subconscious forbids every piece of info... just most of it.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackSatinDancer

I think with conclusive evidence, we can state that the soul is never trueley resting.
When you feel like when you go to sleep it is a big blank like it never happened.
Its because you remember it as nothing, but actually something did happen.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Regarding dream interpretation: I feel quite strongly that when our dreams include people we recognize or when our dreams are played out in places we know well in our waking lives, they are more likely to be addressing significant life issues. Quite simply, we subconsciously use familiarity like a touchstone when facing issues of any import. When we dream of people we don't know or when our dreams take place somewhere unfamiliar, they are more than likely connected to the mundane or the residue of our day to day lives.
I believe the symbology of dreams is pretty much relative to the lexicon of the individual and often times less literal than we perceive. I'm fascinated whenever I hear someone mention a dream of teeth falling out, or when people recall the exertion required to fly in a dream. That small list of things almost everyone has dreamed of at some point. No idea how that happens... Anyone?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

lucid dreams are awesome but also, when stuck in video games i sometimes dream over the part im stuck on and my dreams reveal what i should do in the game. and it works

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
In the past year of my life I learned how dreams give me answers, so I'm almost positive that dreams can be used to give anyone answers.

For example, I dreamt that I was in my house looking out the window, and I could feel a person in another house pointing a Sniper Rifle at me. I felt scared and I had to get away, like they could kill me at any moment.

After the dream I thought about it, and I realized that I very often feel watched and thus I feel self-conscious about it. For example, if I am practicing martial arts before class, I feel like people are watching me and if I make a mistake everyone would see it. So the dream allowed me to look at that and realize that my fear was unwarranted. I shouldn't be afraid I should be stronger.

After that, whenever a person treats me bad in my dreams, I stand up to them. I tell them what's on my mind and that I'm not scared of them. By doing that in my dream, I feel like in real life I am not so much afraid of people. I'm not afraid of standing up for what I believe as much...I still have a long way to go, but it's a start!

So yeah, I think dreams definitely show us how we behave in real life. If I'm a scared person with low self-esteem, I'm not going to dream about being very brave all the time and feeling very confident. The dreams reflect yourself. And if we can see ourselves for what we are in our dream, when waking life we might not be conscious of it, it gives us answers because it reveals truth. They say the Truth sets you free. I believe knowing who you truly are sets you free because being true to yourself is the only way to be truly free.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

And if that doesn't make sense. Think about if you're not true to yourself, you're not free because you are caught in chains that are keeping you from being true to yourself. I hope that makes it sound clearer.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Just a heads up, if a person go to sleep for 8 hours they will not be dreaming that whole time. Dreaming happens in cycles, partially in REM sleep and partially in deep sleep.

That being said, there is so much mystery when it comes to the subject of dreaming. If you can somehow stay lucid, you bascially have access to your subconscious mind (and some might say overmind, or collective unconscious). From all that I have read, lucid dreaming is as much of a valuable self reflective/spiritual tool as meditation when used properly.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Absolutely! I'm sure there are a lot of books on the subject, but I read this one www.goodreads.com... It was super interesting. It takes a lot of practice to control your dreams. I tried for a week, and still had trouble, but I could totally see how it is possible. Maybe I should try again!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If only it was as simple as that. I'm on the fence as to the point of dreams if there is any.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It is the mind that produces all the questions. And then you can ask: Dreaming...Can it give us the answers? No, it just produces more questions.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

There is no such thing as time in dreams so you can't compare waking life time to dreaming time. In dreams you can go what we would call "past" or "future." Time is something we invented to deal with this world..it doesn't really exist.

And it is not impossible at all to remember more than "bits and pieces" of your dreams. You have to train yourself to remember and you will remember. Just tell yourself each night as you are falling asleep, "I will remember my dreams." It helps to talk with friends and family about dreams often too...it makes your subconscious know you value the information in dreams and so will help you to recall yours. Simple as that. When you start paying attention to your dreams and recalling your full dreams no one will have to explain to you the thing about time. You will *know* because you will see for yourself that you have dreamt of the so-called past and the so-called future.

new topics

top topics

join