It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Drag Show Thread - Favorite songs and moments to treasure.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

oh ok. I am not too savvy when it comes to drag language.

Here is a question. Why do performers emulate a "shallow" personality in a light that is not satire but instead as something they enjoy. I dont see how it is empowering or liberating....that can not possibly be who they really are. In the end I see it as the Ego taking over.

Like look at Erin Morton in this documentary called "cover girl dont cover boy"

He is completely natural with his persona and it seems that his persona IS him. He doesnt come off as having a superiority complex. He isnt trying to forge a "career" he is just expressing his art form, so maybe that has to do allot with it. He seems to be really comfortable in his own skin. Also I would have no way of knowing but what he says about getting in with the right people seems to be true. His "drag mom" seems to have taught him to avoid all the negative influences. William Belli is trying to forge a "career" and so he has to sell what best sells. Unfortunately what sells is shallow and whorey.

William seems like a legit person putting on a show. He is probably not what he portrays to make a buck, since for example he is still married to his sweat heart after many years.

I just think that the whole point of it is to feel empowered by being you..by being your true you. Yes you dress up and put on a costume and a show for a purpose like satire or comedy or what ever your reasons are....but at the end of the day it is just an approximation to your real you. Maybe that is discovered along the way I dont know....but it seems many get side tracked with the persona. Their persona becomes them instead of them being themselves through their persona...if that makes sense.

Again I am talking out of my ass and only from what I have observed over the years. I have never lived it and wont pretend to lecture someone who has....That is just how I see it. I may be wrong.

And I do like William. He is a great performer and really is one of my favorites. I just get kind of thrown off when he is like being interviewed or talking to a camera in his "natural" state. It doesnt seem real...there is always a pitch..... And yes he can be real even though he covered with everything from fake eye lashes to fake tits. That has nothing to do with the show or the props. I dont want to come off as judgemental ...."No T, No Shade" as they say.....its just how I see it.

anyhow. Great thread. I learned allot.

Have a great day!

edit on 10-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
"No T, no shade"

yaaas gurl!

well, many drag queens pull from different inspirations, but drag is taking stereotypes of Gender and contorting it twerking it and werking it hunty!

there are many different styles of Drag, and many different queens, the fishy queens, the pageant queens, the comedy queens, the campy queens, the androgynous queens etc

it's taking a stereotypical trait of a character and exaggerating it, at the same time it is empowering to transform into an alternate personality, and you can alter your Queen depending on the mood you want to portray in your performances,

personally what i love about doing Drag is the Makeup and the heels, and the performing, being a glamazon and fabulous with an 'edge' and a twist,

yet at the same time portraying the 'darker' side of life

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Ongina - Beautiful

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Manila Luzon - Jujubee

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Raven

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Can a day go by?

Raven

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
A toast all the fantastic drag queens.

Jinkx Monsoon:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
"It's Monsoon Season"

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Manila Luzon

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Conchita Wurst - Rise Like a Phoenix (live at the Eurovision 2014).

A drag performer wins the song contest, making him the first Austrian winner in 49 years.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yay!

so glad you posted that, and brought back this topic!

gurl was turnt the house down

i'll be back with many more Drag videos... and if anyone else wants to KiKi about Drag etc. i'm always ready!

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Thanks so much, and looking forward to more fabulous moments.

I don't always have the energy to post much, but I've enjoyed every clip on this thread, and thanks so much for all the fantastic songs and performances.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Come on Darth you must have a video of yourself to show us

I once went to the gay club Heaven in London and I saw a lady and boom it was love at first sight, never seen such a beautiful person like that ever...yes it was a man in drag

Made me think about my sexuality that did lol.

Oh and look who won the eurovision song contest.

I think the beard looks good

edit on 11-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Raven

A fab way to start the day!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Adore Delano

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Courtney Act

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link