It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan — A suicide bomber driving a truck attacked an advance NATO combat post in central Af

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kemal
But oh, I forgot, Taliban is a product of the US...

This is one of my most favorite excuses people use......

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Kemal
But oh, I forgot, Taliban is a product of the US...

This is one of my most favorite excuses people use......

what excuse?
you're denying that the US funded the taliban, trained them how to fight etc?

that the same people now called terrorist were called 'freedom fighters' when they fought Russia?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Just another stinging reminder that the in Afghanistan is far from over. There is really no way to prevent attacks like this one, and that is why they have been so devastating. Attacks can come from anyone: man, woman, or child. Some have even gone so far as to commandeer military vehicles and uniforms. What are you going to do check every person and every vehicle? This vehicle could have been a familiar vehicle or something, and that may be why it was allowed to get so close without adequate inspection or measures to stop it?

The article claims this was an advanced outpost. Therefore, advanced I would assume means hostile territory? Why did they let this truck get so close to the gate? Was someone sleeping on watch? I thought if a vehicle does not adhere to posted warnings set up before a check point or base entrance, the guards have the authority to engage the oncoming vehicle?

Hopefully, no one succumbs to their wounds from this attack. Lets hope this is the only one today, and all other threats are neutralized before they can do harm to military personnel, civilians, and infrastructure. It is certainly being propped by the media to be a wild day, and I hope it is nothing more than antics to get ratings and standard fear-mongering?
edit on 11-9-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by MrWendal

Kind of hard to argue the intent behind it when the Taliban claim responsbility for the attack.

It was a suicie bomber and the base was intentionally targeted. Why does it matter what its referred to as?

I prefer the term homocide bomber, they use suicide bomber.... who cares..
edit on 11-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

You seem to be missing my point. Allow me to put it another way....

Let's say China comes and invades the US and in the process of occupying our land, China continually sends in drones, bombers, helicopters, along with troops and they kill countless innocent civilians. Let us assume that some of these civilians were members of my family...or maybe even yours. How would you get some payback against an occupying force?

You can call him a homicide bomber or a suicide bomber.... I call him justified.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
People seem to forget one thing. If the Taliban had given up Bin Laden, we may (I know, key word) not have gone in at all.

But we'll never know.

As for the oil argument...I'm trying not to laugh. Afghanistan just does not have a whole lot. They do have Natural Gas, and a lot of other resources, but oil is not one they have in abundance that we know of.

It'd be a seriously crazy survey team to go out looking for deposits.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

what excuse?
you're denying that the US funded the taliban, trained them how to fight etc?
that the same people now called terrorist were called 'freedom fighters' when they fought Russia?

Well... the Taliban as a faction did not exist back then.
It was after the war that the Taliban(comprised of Afghans) were formed and took over.

That said, I agree with the second part of your post. The same guys who are now seen as "terrorists" were hailed "freedom fighters"...and heroes because they fought back the Russians.

Even former US president Ronald Raegan praised the Mujahideen... “These gentlemen are the moral equivalents of America’s founding fathers.”

He also said "To watch the courageous Afghan freedom fighters battle modern arsenals with simple hand-held weapons is an inspiration to those who love freedom."

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You forget that the Taliban offered to give up Bin Laden on several occasions...The US refused.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

People seem to forget one thing. If the Taliban had given up Bin Laden, we may (I know, key word) not have gone in at all.

But we'll never know.

Actually the Taliban offered to hand over Osama Bin Laden. But George W. Bush rejected the offer and continued with the war.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

you must have conviently forgot they tried to hand him over, yet the US refused.

ETA:

LOL got beaten to the punch, 3 times!!

edit on 11-9-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbread

Jihad

Wonder where they get that idea from....

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Se7enex
Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda don't exist.

This is indeed sad news but it's always about us, the invaders. The guys with scary guns and tanks and bombers. We never hear about the civilian deaths we've caused.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Se7enex because: addition

If you include the non combative deaths then the total is well into the millions.... All the killing...for what.

kx

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

To show that we will not tolerate the needless blowing up of children, to show that their Holy war will be combatted, we will not go down without a fight.

AND to protect civilians in their own country, who are the victims of such suicide attacks too.
edit on 11/9/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget
reply to post by purplemer

To show that we will not tolerate the needless blowing up of children, to show that their Holy war will be combatted, we will not go down without a fight.

AND to protect civilians in their own country, who are the victims of such suicide attacks too.

HAHAHA

i just got showered in ignorance.

i've got to ask...

you serious??

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

ever thought of the fact that the OCCUPATION might fuel their ideas for a holy war?

and their feeling of justification for said holy war?

guess not

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I do remember that the Taliban did offer that and they were immediately over ruled by Mullah Omar, who had personally vowed to protect him.

That said, there is an amount of respect that I believe should be given to Omar as apparently, he is a man of his word.

Look where that got him.
edit on 11-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I see the war as a war of ideologies. It was going to happen sooner or later. For some of the more radical extremists, it has been going on for 1400 years.

There are too many people who are cherry picking their knowledge of history to fit their belief system. They don’t look at the overall picture with a unbiased eye.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I see the war as a war of ideologies. It was going to happen sooner or later. For some of the more radical extremists, it has been going on for 1400 years.

Indeed, and now such Theocratic states with extreme ideologies are becoming weaponised. Unlike some people, I do not support the appeasement of such extreme activities.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Indeed, and now such Theocratic states with extreme ideologies are becoming weaponised.

you're making my day.

why is it that the US is allowed to develop every weapon it can imagine? it has extremist just as any other country.

so far the only 'superpower' to have used nuclear weapons is the USA, that's got to tell you something.

weird logic you're using...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

People keep looking at the world through their own personal experiances, failing to realize that what goes on in the US, AUS, the UK, Germany, would not be tolerated in some parts of the world. Just look at how those hikers in Iran are being imprisoned.

What did they get for crossing some arbitrary line on the ground? Eight years.

Hikers! Ohh, big threat there.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w

Indeed, and now such Theocratic states with extreme ideologies are becoming weaponised.

you're making my day.

why is it that the US is allowed to develop every weapon it can imagine? it has extremist just as any other country.

so far the only 'superpower' to have used nuclear weapons is the USA, that's got to tell you something.

weird logic you're using...

Glad I'm making your day. I don't believe we're debating the USA here, or Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

I'd oppose USA (or UK) using such extreme measures too. But America isn't doing it in the name of Allah. And the Taliban isn't exactly creating schools and improving education in our countries.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join