It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth at night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here are some surprisingly startling pictures of our planet at night.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

This got me to thinking of some things though . . . A typical sodium lamp runs at 480 degrees F. I don't know how many of these lamps there (I did look though) but think of the heat from that stuff alone . . . Then consider the heat given off by automobiles, fireplaces, computers, even people. Again, no figures there, but it adds up. Any thoughts?

-P

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
sure is beautiful though isnt it?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
it kinda looks like a glow-worm cave

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The heat given off by our technology is a lot but nothing compared to the amount of heat the sun hits us with every second of every day.

Also the oceans and atmosphere are massive heat sinks. Even if we burned every carbon based molecule on the planet it wouldn't have much of a heat effect. The real heat would be CO2 trapping more heat from the sun.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Can anyone say light pollution?
Wow the USA, Euro people and India seem to be the biggest contributers. Im surprized Canada doesnt have that much but then again who wants to live way up north.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I used to have that as my desktop wallpaper.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I remember when they took that picture, me and my friends were all outside pointing our flashlights up.

Were the yellow spec in the middle of the USA. (for those of you who cant see us)

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Seen that pic on another forum.. Really is amazing to see Earth at night and all.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Oh dear.. I hope all those lights don't attract any giant space-moths... I hate moths!!

Great pic though!

who

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have seen that pic before, there is another pic that was taken in the 70's that is incredibly different. The older pic is so dark it is incredible. I am really into astronomy and have seen a great deal of literature on light pollution. Its sad when you see the effects of it.

top topics

join