It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant crabs invade antarctica proof of global warming.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RoswellCityLimits

many thanks my friend
regards :karl.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
One thing that had me puzzled after watching the video is to why they felt the need to say that the crabs threaten things that can cure cancer. Surely they aren't eating through that stuff at that high of a rate. If they are that could be another reason they are moving up the slope and that is they need more food?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

it's not a big differene by any means, but it's like an early spring day when you get snow in the morning, then freezing rain, then rain. 1 single degree is all it takes for that transformation.

what I picked up is the theory is that the warmer currents carried the larvae into the deep, so the changes in currents seems to be really what they are getting at, not that the crabs could tell the difference and packed up their bags and moved

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Thank you for explaining what caused the move. That really interested me and I think you have it right on the money. Star for you.
k:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with global warming.(likely)

This may just be a case of invasive species that has been carried in the larval stage from the arctic to the antarctic waters in the ballast tanks of one of the many research or tourist ships.

There have been many cases of this happening with invasive species carried to the US so why not from the arctic to Antarctica.

This could even be a case of a county seeding the antarctic with these crabs to start a whole new fishery for there ships. (not as likely but very possible) Australia, New Zealand. Japan or China

edit on 7-9-2011 by ANNED because: 439563

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
First off, welcome to ATS!

The problem I have with the article is the observation that the crabs are only colonizing at deeper depths. This rules out the possibility of the traditional carbon-dioxide-induced warming as a culprit, since such warming by definition would occur in the atmosphere. Any heat transmitted from the atmosphere to the water would have to pass through the upper levels, resulting in the exact opposite of what is being observed: warming at those surface levels instead of the lower levels.

Any such warming would be absorbed by ice melting (energy consumed in the transference from solid to liquid state) before it would appreciably warm the lower depths.

What this indicates is:
  • A change in oceanic currents resulting in a warmer flow into the local region (which would be offset by cooler temperatures elsewhere),
  • A heat source from underneath the waters, possibly volcanic,
  • Adaptation of the crabs themselves to cooler temperatures (this explains their ability to cross the ice in order to locate in the newly-colonized regions), or
  • The crabs have been there all along and we just now discovered them.

I would personally expect a combination of some of the above explanations. Nature is rarely black-and-white.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
how do we know it now some uder ground shifting in stead arnt ... the contenents moveing maybe wer not in the same spot so the same is not the norm any more

i was talking about cave in when i remebered the motion of the rocks

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join