It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant crabs invade antarctica proof of global warming.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is my first post so please take it easy on me if make mistakes.

Huge crabs more than a metre across have invaded the Antarctic abyss, wiped out the local wildlife and now threaten to ruin ecosystems that have evolved over 14 million years.

Three years ago, researchers predicted that as the deep waters of the Southern Ocean warmed, king crabs would invade Antarctica within 100 years.

But video taken by a remotely operated submersible shows that more than a million Neolithodes yaldwyni have already colonised Palmer Deep, a basin that forms a hollow in the Antarctic Peninsula continental shelf.

www.newscientist.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 7-9-2011 by kayak because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by kayak because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Sep 7 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Wed Sep 7 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: embed video

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
S&F

Well, the price of king crab legs will be going down soon!!!

Thanx for the info! Sweet first thread, mayng!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kayak

Awesome post OP you are obviously of high IQ and did your research. You the MAN! (i think) lol but I wud def love to eat some king crab claws from those crustaceans

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Due to the age of science and our realization of how the natural forces of the planet operate, we have since become obsessed with any sudden changes in the life cycle and climate cycle of the planet. This for some reason, this is always regarded as a negative. The earth has gone through many warming and cooling phases, and life has survived. We seem to obsess over what is natural to the planet, the cycle of life.

Otherwise, all i can say is, send in the fishing boats. Sounds like those crabs will put Alaskan king crab to shame.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFlipFormat

Smoke n mirrors. This post is not indicative of the OPs IQ and research discipline, but rather that of Andy Coghlan. He copied the text from this Article Therefore, no flag for you OP.

I tend to follow the perspection offered by ztruthseeker's post above. Our perspection and knowledge of Earth's climate cycles and behavior is extremely limited. Global warming or not, I hardly believe that mankind exerts anything more than minuscule effects on the grand scheme. In my opinion, evidence of global warming effects by mankind have always been lacking at best. However, Im not sure if that is what this Article is insinuating.
edit on 7-9-2011 by TomServo because: ]
edit on 7-9-2011 by TomServo because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Reported for plagiarism?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Perhaps, being new to posting, simply forgot the source and proper quotes?

I have never understood why people think it's necessary to save every last species and interfere with evolution and climate change? The truth is that the climate on Earth has been vastly different in the last tens of millions of years and countless species have become extinct long before humans walked the Earth.

who is to say this is not natural evolution or progression? There used to be fertile ground where the Sahara Desert is -- anyone suggesting we should try and reverse that??

It's not as if someone dropped these crabs there and human intervention caused these crabs to devour everything. Rather, it's happening naturally. Unless you are one of these people clamoring on about strictly manmade global warming and ignoring the fact that the average temperature on Earth has swung significantly throughout it's history-- no humans needed.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kayak

Hi kayak - good info, thanks for providing it.

I'll assuming you were trying to provide the article from New Scientist for our review and not trying to claim it as your own. To avoid unnecessary flak, please be careful to use the EX-TEXT, LINK, and other tools when composing your threads, and be sure to cite your sources.

Good information on thread compilation available in the ATS Freshman's Forums and related forums under "Information & General Topics" on the 'forums' tab at top of ATS (some of us likely willing to help directly as needed).

Back on-topic: well, hopefully the ecosystem adjusts quickly to deal with the damage. I remember hearing a lot about jellyfish taking over vast swaths of the oceans in the last few years, so given all the changes we've seen in the natural cycles we're used to lately, I'd expect a lot more are coming.

Too bad we've been doing our own bit to muck things up so good. I wonder, since everyone's always worried about overpopulation as well, is there any possibility we could colonize that continent of plastic & other garbage we've accumulated in the Pacific and terraform it into something productive?

Hopefully the planet and all her systems can hold out long enough for us to clean up our act and get it back to something healthy for us all again...

Be well, kayak. Thanks again.

edit on 9/7/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
just a question for you high IQ'er (split?) personalities

have you ever heard of the term thermocline? what do you think it is and where is it normally located?

i find it interesting that proxy (derived) data is touted as anything when direct measurements are perfectly possible and temperature is far from the only contributing factor. invasive species do not need alterations to be invasive. likewise, malaria is tied t mosquitos not temperature, which explains why it was rampant in Siberia during the early 20th century. The same logic can be applied to glaciers of course, which are very tricky since they need precipitation to grow and evaporate (sublime) even when frozen stone hard, while, worst of all, their relaxed flow speeds result in huge delays between cause and observed effects....

needless to say, the Antarctic pack ice, which is strictly seasonal showed a different trend until 2002, but see for yourselves. i presume we would have at least twenty threads on the subject had that trend reversed in the meantime. instead we have crabs a mile deep - hmm what might that mean...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

etc. ...search is your friend

PS: the AGW bandwagon derailed the day renaming GW into climate change failed to float, from then on, the clock has been patiently ticking for the time when the obvious will be realised, namely that the planet was already close to the estimated historic maximum, so the chances are it'll only get colder. give it a few years of heating thermometers by nearby exposed parking lots, A/C exhaust, creative data splicing and selective reporting and the signs will be ubiquitous and often harmful while people will still be harping about warming, creating so much surreal contrast that the hype will snap within a minute - not in a good way, though.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
1.2C = 34.2F

1.47C = 34.65F

The conversion calculator can be found here:
ostermiller.org...

That isn't exactly a big temperature difference. I would suspect it wouldn't be enough to make that big a difference. I would think if they can handle 34.65F (1.47C) the should be able to handle 34.2 (1.47C) with no problem at all. We are talking less than half a degree of difference. Not a huge global warming change!

Now, I admit I am no Oceanic Biologist or anything of the sort, but it sounds like someone is trying anything to find something to blame on global warming. And there is plenty out there more obvious, or is there?

edit on 7/9/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

have you ever heard of the term thermocline? what do you think it is and where is it normally located?

Thermo - Temperature difference (or lack there of). Cline - Difference in elevation (from 'incline'). Therefore, in this connotation, it refers to the temperature difference (boundary layer) that occurs vertically within a body of water. Mostly observed in deeper bodies of water during warm weather. During long stints of warm weather, the thermocline prevents water from cycling vertically, causing a depletion of oxygen at lower depths, forcing bottom dwellers to move above the thermocline in order to find oxygen.

Excellent post Long Lance! There are many factors which I believe are not being accounted for in most global warming arguments. You can't pick and choose you data/evidence.
edit on 7-9-2011 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Despite what the (usually very ignorant) media might say, this is not proof of global warming (usually taken to imply anthropogenic global warming)

It's evidence of regional oceanic warming - which may or may not be wholly/partially/not at all caused by various human activities of which carbon emissions may or may not be one.

Interesting story nonetheless

Edit: a couple of links to news stories:

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.newscientist.com...
edit on 7-9-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hiya and welcome to ATS

Enjoy, learn, speak you truth ad above all have fun!

The Mods are really nice don't hesitate to contact them if you need any help.

I saw this research paper before it came into any journals, and it concerns me much, one aspect not looked at is what is happening deep deep down where the crabs are marching from, are they being opportunistic scavengers/hunters or on an exodus due to survival neccessity.

At this point no one knows and it is only postulated that they are arriving. to take advantage, I fear something else is up in the eco system as well where they originally ascended from.

You can if its not too long look at the original Thread opening post you did and you will see and "edit" button I advise you do that and add the link to the new scientists, after a while we are unable to edit our posts, if this is so u2u a mod from the fragile earth forum to add the link for you.

Thanks for bringing this to ats, welcome and njoy.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I say send in the fishing trawlers/ships from the Alaska region to the antarctica or prolonge the Crabbing season in Antarctica

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Welcome OP,

Sorry to trash your first post, but this article angers me greatly.It is full of lies.This is nothing but lies for the global warming scam.I am a zoologist and wildlife curator for the Elapid Education and Awareness Group.King crabs have always been in this area and do so every year.They migrate in mass every year.Have your not herd of the term march of the crabs? Crabs,Crayfish and even Sting ray's do this large type of migration.This is nothing but sensational rubbish with a agenda.Just like the polar bear scientist how was recently jailed for false research claims for funding.We all know where his funding came from now don't we?
I am sick of this,but you have inspired me to write something in the near future.

1.2 C Vs 1.47 C oh my God the sky is falling.

edit on 7-9-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

many thanks for your kind words..as it was my first post i was quite nervous lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

you are indeed correct my friend i did forget the source ill add it asap.
regards :karl.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

many thanks for your kind words elf.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

you may well be correct my friend there is so much disinformation out there its getting hard to distinguish truth from lies...
many thanks for your reply.
regards: karl.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

no i was not claiming it to be my own buddy. i would never do that..
im adding sources as soon as i am allowed .
i had to edit a couple of times and didnt realise there was a limit on editing my friend.
regards : karl.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join