It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is organic food a scam?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Actually , I buy organic food not for the stuff it contains, but for the stuff it does NOT contain: Thousands of untested chemicals (E Numbers), pesticide traces and preservatives, chemicals not meant for Homo Sapient to eat.

I don't think humans were meant to eat Rotenone, but hey, you can eat it with your organics... So it can't be that bad right?

It is mildly toxic to humans and other mammals, but extremely toxic to insects and aquatic life including fish.

This higher toxicity in fish and insects is due to the fact that the lipophilic rotenone is easily taken up through the gills or trachea, but not as easily through the skin or through the gastrointestinal tract.

The lowest lethal dose for a child is 143 mg/kg. Human deaths from rotenone poisoning are rare because its irritating action causes vomiting.[14] Deliberate ingestion of rotenone can be fatal.

Rotenone is classified by the USDA National Organic Program as a nonsynthetic and was allowed to be used to grow organic produce until 2005, when it was added to the list of prohibited substances due to concerns about its safety. However, it has since been re-approved.

Already mentioned earlier I believe, but lets recap the best part:

In mammals, including humans, it is linked to the development of Parkinson's disease.[1]

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry
And I like my meat to be happier while it lives before I eat it.

Originally posted by hawkiye
We also buy local as much as possible ...
I believe that if an animal is in a constant state of fear or is killed inhumanely causing a rush of adrenaline coursing through it's body at the point of it's death, then we as the consumers are buying and ingesting this fear-emotion and it is literally altering our chemical make up. It also, I believe, makes you gain more belly fat because you're ingesting hormone Adrenaline and Cortisol from the animal that was mistreated.

What is cortisol? In its normal function, cortisol helps us meet these challenges ... paradoxically, sustained high levels of cortisol will gradually tear your body down... [by doing the following:]
  1. destroy healthy muscle and bone
  2. slow down healing and normal cell regeneration
  3. co-opt parent molecules needed to make other vital hormones
  4. impair digestion, metabolism and mental function
  5. interfere with healthy endocrine function; and
  6. weaken your immune system.
... Adrenal imbalance may be a factor in many conditions, including fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, arthritis, and more. It can also be associated with a host of unpleasant signs and symptoms, from acne to hair loss...
www.womentowomen.com/adrenalhealth/effectsofhighcortisollevels...

Originally posted by juniperberry
... unnatural farming practices such as adding nutrients to soil rather than letting it go fallow properly..

It depends on the environment it is grown in. ...They are using compost and cover crops etc instead of oil based fertilizers.
This is crazy because food was fine before people tried fixing what wasn't broke to begin with ... I can say that I honestly have not seen a non-tampered with fruit or vegetable except in pictures ...

What I worry about is ... is if it just becomes another watered down label...
I think it's already a watered down label and like all labels ... take it with a grain of salt ... I think that "organic" is the next hot thing since the label "healthy" was washed out and overused and abused.
Just be sure to check the nutritional labels on all your foods not the front of the package or the pretty picture label on the front of the item, the manufacturers and box designers can put and write anything on there... that's not regulated by anyone, FDA or otherwise.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rschmfem

quoting me: "Originally posted by hawkiye
We also buy local as much as possible ... "
________
I believe that if an animal is in a constant state of fear or is killed inhumanely causing a rush of adrenaline coursing through it's body at the point of it's death, then we as the consumers are buying and ingesting this fear-emotion and it is literally altering our chemical make up. It also, I believe, makes you gain more belly fat because you're ingesting hormone Adrenaline and Cortisol from the animal that was mistreated.

Yeah the place we buy beef from is very careful they only run about 40 head a year and the last 4 days of the animals they butcher they only bring in two at a time to a small pasture where they can keep them calm get used to being approached so they are not scared etc. They then pop them with a 22 behind the ear so they don't know what hit them and weren't in adrenalin mode.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=751385

This was interesting. Do you think they are in on the deception and the fraud? I think the non-organics are the scam. I don't mind spots on my apples don't give me that DDT man, they paved Paradise and put up a parking lot.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Organic food isnt suppose to have more nutrients. It's the same food just grown/prepared without using the poisons to keep the pests/bugs away.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Boncho,

What was that stuff you posted there, you gave no source for it.

Come on, post a source please.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I notice some of it does taste better..

But generally I couldn't care less. I think most of it is a scam. Look at whole foods. Their food is amazing, but I don't have 20 dollars for a piece of fried chicken.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Of course its a scam, but at least it doesnt have dirty chemicals and pesticides sprayed all over it and it hasnt been genetically modified to grow faster like all mass crops of food.

The best advice I can give if you cant afford 'organic' (just like the rest of us) is to take the time to go to weekly farmers markets and get your vegetables from there, it might have had pesticides sprayed on them but its as good as it gets for the same price as supermarket foods, they do great cheese at farmers markets as well

Cool thread guys

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by newcovenant

this is not true at all. People are not going for organics because they are more nutritious

I am personally acquainted with many people who go for it because they say its more healthy. I guess they have fallen for false advertising?

If it's USDA certified and has the stamp to prove it... then that isn't false advertising. There are products that claim to be organic but haven't been USDA certified. Doesn't mean they are or aren't organic... just that they haven't gone through the lengthy/costly process of officially certifying their product as organic. If you want HEALTH-ier... then insist on products that have the USDA certified organic seal. Then there won't be any guesswork involved on your part.
edit on 8-10-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Personally, I buy it primarily for the reason of protecting my own personal health. Although, I was greatly disturbed by a show featuring an investigation that foods claiming to be organic were covered with pesticides. Some similar to Agent Orange.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nutherdog

What shows???

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Foster Farms chicken is plumped with arsenic. I'd rather have a poultry product low in arsenic. Although arsenic is present in water, it shouldn't be fed to chickens for the sake of increasing the endocrine system prematurely.

You want to see a pair of big breasts? Look at Foster Farms chicken breasts and compare them to free range organic. Big difference.

Caged animals are bad. Cows digestive systems are not intended to live on corn and grain. The real issue of organics should not be is it organic. But can I trust the word of my local farmers?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I believe people choose organic for any number of reasons. I actually buy organic because I believe that the current food market is corrupt and ladening our food with all sorts of nasty sh*t, from chemicals to manipulative nanoparticles, as well as increased risk of E. coli poisoning.

A qualitative study was performed in the UK in 2002 and cites that the main reason behind why consumers buy organic produce is for health reasons, "in view of being better for the children because of lower pesticides and fertiliser residues."
Additionally, "better taste, being like home-grown, being free from BSE, genetic modification and food additives" are further motivators.
(Makatouni A 2002, 'What motivates consumers to buy organic food in the UK?: results from a qualitative study', British Food Journal, vol. 104, no. 3/4/5, pp. 345-352.)
According to a number of other studies, the trend toward increased consumption of organic food can be linked to a broader concern about environmental issues.

If you are interested in learning more I recommend seeing the documentary Food Inc. if you haven't already.

edit on 18/10/11 by pretty_vacant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Are you trying to push this as reasonable evidence...for real

Perhaps if they were identical twins I'd take it seriously, but as is....nope.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I buy organic if possible (money!) for a number of reasons: animal rights, environment protection and the whole notion to live with Earth instead of raping it. But animal rights are the highest of my priorities.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I just got this book yesterday and already im disgusted by just the first page.

www.amazon.com...

You can download the Pdf as well.

This book in detail explains facts about todays food processing as well as other facts that we should know about "organic" food.

Quite disturbing.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

EDIT: food guru was on a jungle expedition when this picture was taken! NL was somewhere being pretty with the ample use of cosmetics and what not. Realistic comparison!

Skinny versus chubby. Being and always having been ugly versus being and always having been pretty.
Then, what does the food guru do to take care of her skin? How are her genes? Does Nigella snack on botox, fillers and other stuff??

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Listen, I don't care if she does. I do care that's she pro fur. So much for inner beauty. The content of that site that you have copied is worthless. Going eco has many reasons, not just to stay pretty (provided you were pretty as the guru most def. never was).

edit on 12-12-2011 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Gillian always looks like a munter, and likening a crappy tv series set up to an actual jungle expedition is hilarious.
Organic food will always be a scam unless you get the enjoyment out of actually growing the food yourself. It's also a nice pass time in between eating butter and looking saucy bent over the fridge.

edit on 13-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join