It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milk in a green glass.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I like your post. I think what really sticks with me is that no matter our age, we are subject to our own views and perception can be skewed by something as simple as color. Our sense of reality seems to be alterable especially when we rely on any one sense too much. I'm sure if he had the notion to smell the milk, then he would at least have felt that his eyes were deceiving him, and would find after closer inspection, it was actually ok. It makes you wonder how many times in life we just take things as how they appear and don't take time to actually observe with all available senses.
The other thing I take from this, which I already learned from my kids, is that children can and do change the way you view the world.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
I once picked up a handful of what I thought were purple grapes, in a dimly lit room, and stuffed them in my mouth. Turned out they were black olives, which I love, but at the time I almost puked.

When I was a kid, I cant remember what it was I had been doing but I was extremely exhausted and thirsty. I ran inside the house, to the kitchen, and opened the fridge. I grabbed the large bottle of lemon cordial in there, and guzzled down about 5 or 6 large mouthfulls, before I could realise.......

..... there had been a function where my old man had worked the night before. He got to take home a load of sandwiches, crackers, etc... and a lot of left over moselle....

So as it turns out, that refreshing nectar of the gods I had been sucking down like a champion, had been in fact, left over moselle wine, dacanted into an old cordial bottle that my old man had saved for my old mum. I had not tasted it as I had drunk it, thinking it was lemon cordial, in a lemon cordial bottle, and it was not until I had finished, and caught my breath and my taste buds had realised what was what... Oh I never ran to the toilet so fast..

You know, at 8 or 9, with a gut full of wine, you soon forget the taste of it..

lol

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggypogo

Sometimes I wish we could see the world the way most children see it. The world seems so simple and uncomplicated when you are young. Maybe it is because they only focus on what is in front of them.

We quickly teach children starting with the game of peek-a-boo that their eyes are deceptive and that things do not cease to exist just because your eyes are covered and you can no longer see the person.

Somewhere along the way we have lost that lesson because we often forget that things can exist without being seen.

Besides the wind.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
What a CUTE story......ahhhhh the things we learn from children. Allowing them a voice and adding them into discussions can really make one think and question what we think we know.

I have learned so much over the years from my own kids.

One day my son came to me and said, "Mom, we did not need the knowledge". Of course it lead to a much deeper discussion but he was only 11 at the time and I think of that conversation often.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Now that is a statement coming from an 11year old that is thesis worthy.

How old is he now and does he still believe his declaration with the same conviction?

One of the problems children have is that they learn too quickly that conforming to belief systems of their community is a sure way to be accepted and to go unmolested, while sticking to an argument that you can't prove or is unaccepted, usually brings nothing but trouble and undesired attention.

Even the support of a loving parent isn't strong enough to protect against the mighty pressures of their peers.

edit on 7-9-2011 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Placement of a much needed article.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
A truly wonderful little story.....that has really made my day...something so simple, but at the same time tells me so much about how we are as a species and what we accept as the truth.......

thank you

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

I love Diet Mt. Dew (don't judge) and I also love iced tea.

When I go to get a drink from a opaque cup expecting DMD and get a mouthful of tea, it about makes me hurl.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

Did you actually read the entire opening post or just the first paragraph or two?

Originally posted by davethebear
A truly wonderful little story.....that has really made my day...something so simple, but at the same time tells me so much about how we are as a species and what we accept as the truth.......

thank you

I also want to thank the OP, this was - all be it on such a 'simple' matter - an excellent post. Which in turn has got me literally thinking about A LOT of subjects where I have just taken things for granted, mostly because I perhaps want to believe the fiction over fact due to its appearance being masked

Although its common sense, next time I jump to a conclusion, I will think back to the logic of the 'Green Tainted Glass' and analyze a little deeper first

edit on 7/9/2011 by Kliskey because: Engrish fail

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's incidents like this that once again, show me just how we create our own reality. Perhaps the Asian belief systems are right in this; our tangible perceptions are made up of maya- illusions. Quantum science has been lending credence to this, as all particles are reducible to near nothing-ness. It's only what we expect to see (or feel, smell, taste, hear) that we permit ourselves to recognize. S&F for an awesome post!
edit on 7-9-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Nice post and very good points that we seem to forget as we get older. I personally was faked out for years thinking Chicken McNuggets were real chicken.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Beautifully written. I was hanging on every word!
I think we should all use the milk glass filter more often!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Not long ago people actually believed that Liberalism worked...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

This is a brilliant post reminding us to observe the world as objectively as possible. Many great teachers have said the path to Truth is always through the eye and mind of a child.

True story: My sister was in therapy and she was asked by the therapist the cliche question whether she sees her circumstances in the world as half empty or half full she replied, "I just see a dirty glass."

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
new englands nice this time of year i think ill go there maybe

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Nice lesson, but even a more lovely story. Time to leave the conspiracy boards and share that writing talent with a wider audience.

Charmed to the gills here

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I want to tell you a story. It is not anything spectacular. It may not even belong here because it is not about conspiracies, UFOs, magic, survival, or other ATS type things; yet it may be a little about all those things.

While looking for something that I knew I had, but had boxed away a long time ago, I found a box filled with old glasses. I had put them away when the children were little and were prone to dropping anything breakable that found itself in their tiny hands. For their safety (glass shards travel mighty distances and their recovery almost always involves pain, blood and tears) I boxed up all the glassware and out came the paper and plastic.

I had forgotten the boxes of glassware I had put aside, and decided that it would be enjoyable to have some of my more favorite glasses back in use again. I don’t know why, but some things just taste better when imbibed from glass rather than paper or plastic. It is all in the mind of course which soon proved itself to be very true.

My young nephew had a short school day recently. I had the pleasure of keeping him out of mischief until his mother was able to pick him up after work. In the mean time I had to provide him with a snack to hold him over until dinner and he agreed to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with milk. Since he was now the ripe old age of seven, I thought that he was old enough and hopefully mature enough to enjoy a beverage from real glass. I was surprised when he arrived at the table after washing his hands with such a look of befuddlement on his face.

He asked me, “Auntie what is that?” I was a bit taken aback. I couldn’t believe that he did not know what a glass was. I said to him, “Zack, that is a glass.” “Haven’t you ever seen a glass before?” I had to laugh when he replied, “Yes Auntie, but what is in it?” I told him that it was milk. This brought about that same look of puzzlement that children have mastered, with that special turn of the lip and brow. “Auntie?" "What kind of milk is it?” Then it became clear to me. He was seeing the milk through the glass. Since the glass was green, he thought the milk was also green. Of course I laughed and this made it even an odder moment for my nephew because he did not see the humor in my laughing at him for not knowing where green milk came from. After all he had his pride and he was all of seven years old.

I decided to see how far I could take this moment, so I told him to taste it and tell me where he thought it may come from. He was very hesitant but he was watching me drink mine and I made it look like it was pure ambrosia. He still had not gotten any closer to the table so I took the straw from his glass and put it into mine. I held out my glass to him making sure my hand covered the top and told him to take a sip. He did. “So?”, I asked him. “What does it taste like?” He didn’t surprise me when he said, “I don’t know.” “It kinda taste like real milk but I know that it is something else.” I asked him why did he think it was something else. He told me because it was green.

I have thought a lot about our lunch since it happened. I find myself asking how much of what I “think” or what I “believe” is true. How much of what I think I see dictates what I accept as truth. I admit that it has led me to moments of self reflection and some things are leaning closer to the edge of doubt.

I now run all new information through the milk glass filter. I am hoping that this will in some way help me remember that things are not always how they look or are presented and that even when taken in without interference that it may still be contaminated by what I have already “thought” to be true.

neat story, reminds me of that post from a few days ago about how the mind uses words and colors.

2nd

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Great story.

Did you ever watch "Hell's Kitchen"?

One of the challenges on the show is where the chefs have a blind taste test. Trained chefs, many times, can not tell the difference between chicken or pork without looking at it. Without their eyes seeing it, they couldnt tell what it was, despite the fact they were "tasting it". Pretty incredible to watch.

Another good analogy for your "green glass" is "green grass". The "green grass" makes you look at thingsfrom a totally different perspective, whether its a silly cartoon or a song you're listening to. The FBI/DoD was so worried about marijuana during the 60's they spent countless dollars and time studying its effects on the public and were convinced it lead to the peace movement.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It's actually a known phenomena of "how we think" -- schemas and filters. Because we live in an information complex world, from the moment we're born we start building categories for ourselves. Some folks have fairly rigid ones and others have fairly loose ones (in truth, everyone has a mix of these things.)

The more education you have, the more "open" your filters are because you've had to accept things about green milk and blue milk and rainbow milk and milk with ice cubes in it (Southern practice. No, I don't know why, but it's common.)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have always viewed the world this way. Purpose only drives a man to heartache eventually because once you strike the highest chord you will evevntually fall off if you dont realize your playing the scientist mouse and cheese game. I have always known i was born free and no amount of debt jail time or rules can change that. My life feels bad sometimes and feels good at times but there are exceptional moments, often, where i can forget about everything and just feel serenity and stop the flow of time for an eternity. That is god, that is everyone, this is why love exists. We have fallen from grace and divinity but its always right there in front of our eyes waiting patiently.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I remember a few years ago we were on vacation when the first "Huilk" movie came out.

At the store they had Hershey's chocolate syrup but it was colored a deep green for the movie. I got it because I thought the kids would think it was kind of neat.

No one ever used it. I tried it but it was weird.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join