It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God does have a sense of humor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorHouseMD
If you think smashing babies against rocks is funny, then yes, God has a sense of humor.

If you think raping a woman, dismembering her, and then delivering her body parts to various Israelite villages is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think slavery is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think handing your daughters over to villagers to be raped is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think commanding bears to maul young children is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think killing a fig tree for not having figs, (even though it's not the season for figs) is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think cutting off your testicles, eyes, or limbs so you can get into heaven is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think killing everyone in a village except for the 12-year old girls (so you can use them as sex slaves) is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

How in the world anyone could possibly think that this God is worthy of worship is beyond comprehension.

Are you old enough to be familiar with Tom Lehrer?

He wrote one song about his favourite sunday occupation called: "When I'm poisoning the pigeons in the park".

It must have been an all-time comedy-hit with Jahveh and company.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorHouseMD
If you think smashing babies against rocks is funny, then yes, God has a sense of humor.

If you think raping a woman, dismembering her, and then delivering her body parts to various Israelite villages is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think slavery is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think handing your daughters over to villagers to be raped is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think commanding bears to maul young children is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think killing a fig tree for not having figs, (even though it's not the season for figs) is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think cutting off your testicles, eyes, or limbs so you can get into heaven is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think killing everyone in a village except for the 12-year old girls (so you can use them as sex slaves) is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

How in the world anyone could possibly think that this God is worthy of worship is beyond comprehension.

For starters... who says God/Tao/Infinity wants your worship? The only entities demanding worship I see are men using institutions and fear to setup either themselves or some proxy concept for people to worship and give their money and energy to. I believe in G/T/I but I don't worship it... because I don't worship myself. I do respect the greater power and wisdom in the same way I respect people who also have traits that are stronger or wiser than my own.

Moving on.

Consider if you will three friends who are immortal. They have been immortal for so long that they have no reason to believe they haven't always been immortal. They have invented every game to play... created all sorts of simulations to watch and control... and pretty much done everything you can possibly think of as an immortal. They know each other as intimately as they know themselves, love each other dearly, and any attempt to cause harm to one is impossible and even if it were possible, would simply be like hurting themselves. Best friends.

Then one gets an idea and says to the other "What if we convinced our third friend that he could die... and was all alone?"

So they set about playing the biggest practical joke ever played on an immortal, and come up with a way to confuse and distort the third friend's view such that it suddenly believed it was all alone and could die.

Now the two friends who still know what goes on agree to play two sides. One will give hints on how to get out... the other will counter those hints with doubt and fear. They tell through the veil of illusion the now "lost" third friend (who is still sitting there with them and never left) that he must have done something *VERY BAD* to wind up like this. The other friend says "No no... we love you... you are here because we love you and would never do anything to hurt you no matter what you may think you see".

The only way out of the practical joke is for the "lost" friend to come to understand what has happened... despite not being able to prove it... and learn to LOVE what has happened... understanding that nothing actually ever died or was lost or hurt... that it had all been nothing more than an immersion in one of their simulated games as if that were all there is. To love the experience of actually MATTERing... of feeling like everything is on the line... and the pure bliss of finally overcoming each limitation no matter how many hundreds, thousands, trillions of times the friend may experience the sensation of death.

Upon returning... the only thing he can say is "Dude... you have GOT to try that..."

And thus begins an eternal cycle of each friend taking a turn immersing themselves in the illusion of being mortal and forgetting who they were. Each time they are able to iterate the experience to be more intense... to push the boundaries a little further... each one cheering each other on even while also providing the "evil" influence that must be overcome... no boundaries are too far because the joy felt when returning back to their immortal eternal self exceeds anything that ever could be experienced without the illusion.

Each one taking turns... over and over... setting up new scenarios to be overcome... to be broken free from. Each one growing stronger and thus able to push themselves further through the fear.

Yes... it is possible that all of the things you listed are very very funny in the big picture.

Namaste.
edit on 7-9-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join