It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

God does have a sense of humor

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I was doing a little light reading in the Book of Genesis 30 minutes ago and came across the part where all the people had gathered to build a great city, and the men all spoke the same language and had all come to a decision to make a grand city. The men had all become as one, of like mind and decision and man had become so great that anything they imagined they could accomplish together. So God decided to go and confound their language to mess with them, and the men couldn't understand eachother and so they left off to build the city which was later named Babel, because when the men tried to communicate with eachother they sounded like they were babbling at eachother.

Genesis 11: 6-9.

Everytime i imagine this in my mind i start laughing. God does have a sense of humor, he was messing with these guys because they thought they could do anything.

On the offhand, we've reached the pinnacle where we again pretty much can speak the same language and are of like mind and decision and we can do pretty much anything we set our minds to. Only a matter of time till God's humor kicks in again. Foreshadowing on the part of the bible? I think so.

edit on 5-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)




posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
No, because there is no god to have a sense of humour.

If there was a god, bad things woudn't happen to good people. It's called Black Comedy(not with black people if that's what you're saying. It's when you laugh out loud at a movie after somebody got killed or something.) Psychopathic humour in a way.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I always thought that this was the story of the Tower of Babel and that the people were attempting to build a tower, not a city, so that they could reach God's level of Godliness and that that's why he "confounded" them.


Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
On the offhand, we've reached the pinnacle where we again pretty much can speak the same language and are of like mind and decision and we can do pretty much anything we set our minds to. Only a matter of time till God's humor kicks in again. Foreshadowing on the part of the bible? I think so.

edit on 5-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)


I think we are far from being of like mind and decision and there's lots we can't do yet.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Would be funny if he did it again today

Like, say, I am visiting mom, and god does his lulz thing
So mom is like, Son, help, I am having a heart attack, please get my my nitro...but I only hear kabibble squack nerf blagdadda

Its funny, because she dies. lol...get it
Deity humor rocks!

..

God = Satan btw



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000
 


Yes, it's a hilarious story. Even better than Job's book, which isn't without its comedy-sections.

How they must have laughed in heaven.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't find any humor whatsoever in the destruction of a people's civilization at all. It only reinforces my disgust for this Judeo Christian psychopath. He must've been threatened by humanity's inteligence and their ability to carry out their plans.

Since we know that a building can't reach the heavens, and that height doesn't equal illumination, so what was god so afraid of? Maybe there is more to this story than TPTB want you to know. Perhaps they were builing a stargate or a spaceship. Your guy upstairs became afraid of this group of humans and therefore destroyed their society. Sick and pschopathic, not funny.
edit on 5-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I don't find any humor whatsoever in the destruction of a people's civilization at all. It only reinforces my disgust for this Judeo Christian psychopath. He must've been threatened by humanities inteligence and their ability to carry out their plans.

Since we know that a building can't reach the heavens, and that hieght doesn't equal illumination, so what was god so afraid of? Maybe there is more to this story than TPTB want you to know. Perhaps they were builing a stargate or a spaceship. Your guy upstairs became afraid of this group of humans and therefore destroyed their society. Sick and pschopathic, not funny.


Thank you, it's not funny. Glad somebody got the common sense to agree.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by windword
 


God feels threatened a lot according to the bible

First it was eating from the tree of knowledge (omg, they are going to be like us now, with our knowledge...quick, cause them pain)
Then the tower (omg, they are going to surpass us)

So much for the almighty version of god...he gets more threatened than a nervous inept foot locker local manager. Is it really that easy to equal or rise above a deity? Well, I guess so considering the bible is riddled with instances of him doing his smiting thing to keep the people dumb and enslaved.

Stockholms syndrome of course makes many people love the abuser...well, he hasn't hurt me today, so that means he loves us. heh



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Apparently some people don't get his joke. The story is about the tower of Babel, but the tower was just a part of the city. I guess if you aren't a believer you will never see the comedy. The pun of the joke is that they named the city Babel because when they tried to communicate it sounded like they were just babbling at eachother. God didnt destroy a civilization, he just played a prank on them because of their audacity to reach for the heavens without him.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Apparently some people don't get his joke. The story is about the tower of Babel, but the tower was just a part of the city. I guess if you aren't a believer you will never see the comedy. The pun of the joke is that they named the city Babel because when they tried to communicate it sounded like they were just babbling at eachother. God didnt destroy a civilization, he just played a prank on them because of their audacity to reach for the heavens without him.


I'm sure you can find it in your christian heart to forgive us. Not everybody has the subtle christian sense of humour making such things funny.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by windword
 


I'm pretty sure that Tower of Babel was a space launch station or a long range stargate.
It was something that was made by humans in reverse engineering to mimic alien space technology and the alien leaders we're not happy at all. Kind of like a father that doesn't want his children to surpass him.

The part about changing their language I don't know...anyone?



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   


Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
King James Version


The word, or name of the city or term for the event, was coined afterwords. It wasn't a play on words or a pun by god. Also, Babylon? Tower of Babel? Babel=babble?

Did god speak English back then? No! The word has been coined from the name of the city, event, tower.



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Apparently there was some sort of evil god run amuck on the planet trying to kill everyone.
The people resented it and were trying to figure out a way to go to heaven in order to complain about this god and to see if there was some way to get rid of him.
The evil god decided the way to water down the universal denouncement of him was to make it so they could not speak with a single voice, and so this reign of terror was able to be prolonged.
This is why you have Jesus saying, "Who can go up to heaven, other than someone who came down from heaven?"
He realized our attempt to ask for help was not going to work so God sent His son down to deal with that evil god by demonstrating his true nature when he killed someone totally righteous but did not bow down to him.
edit on 5-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Apparently some people don't get his joke.


Ya, still not seeing the punchline.
Would you laugh if someone went up to your family member and bashed them in their head, damaging their brain to where they couldn't communicate anymore with each other? Except for the pain part, whats the difference?

or...is that funny to a christian also?


Babel because when they tried to communicate it sounded like they were just babbling at eachother.

As explained above, the word came from the city, not the other way around Like if the city of Chicago suddenly had all their legs pop off, 1000 years from now, the spontaneous loss of limbs may be known as a chicago or something of the like.


God didnt destroy a civilization, he just played a prank on them because of their audacity to reach for the heavens without him.

So, God admits then that we can equal him if left alone...so, why does he care?

will wait for the answer.
If we cannot without god, then we would have figured that out eventually, and probably appreciated him/it far more.
if we can without god, then...what makes him special?

So yeah...humor is a bit lost...he is probably french or something



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Anyhow, it is all good
God played a prank on us by kicking civilization in the shins...sure...hahaha, I get it
But we pranked him back by killing his son. lulz. funny stuff, see, we both have a sense of humor

-rolls eyes until he passes out-



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Would you laugh if someone went up to your family member and bashed them in their head, damaging their brain to where they couldn't communicate anymore with each other? Except for the pain part, whats the difference?


If I understood that nothing happens to an individual that they didn't sign up for before incarnating here on earth and what that pain and experience is eventually used for... then in a manner... yes.

I would have compassion for the pain... and gratitude for them taking on the burden of experiencing that for all of us in our collective evolving human mind... but it doesn't make the running around freaked out by it wailing "WHHYYYYY????" we do any less amusing/sad along side it.

However this is a view of reality most are not ready/wanting to accept, so we go around taking ourselves too seriously and continuing to exact "justice". But it's ok... because that too is simply part of the experience of seeing what it's like to be separated from Oneness/Tao/God.

EDIT: Existence itself is the biggest joke ever told. Everything else is flavor and variation on that original greatest non-sequitur.

Namaste
edit on 5-9-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Anyhow, it is all good
God played a prank on us by kicking civilization in the shins...sure...hahaha, I get it
But we pranked him back by killing his son. lulz. funny stuff, see, we both have a sense of humor

-rolls eyes until he passes out-


I knew God had a sense of humor when I look in the mirror



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Obviously one has to be a self-proclaimed 'god' to see the subtle humour in this. Considering the reactions to this thread, the 'joke' appears to be rather stale for those taking the mythological manual with some reservation.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If you think smashing babies against rocks is funny, then yes, God has a sense of humor.

If you think raping a woman, dismembering her, and then delivering her body parts to various Israelite villages is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think slavery is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think handing your daughters over to villagers to be raped is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think commanding bears to maul young children is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think killing a fig tree for not having figs, (even though it's not the season for figs) is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think cutting off your testicles, eyes, or limbs so you can get into heaven is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

If you think killing everyone in a village except for the 12-year old girls (so you can use them as sex slaves) is funny, then God has a sense of humor.

How in the world anyone could possibly think that this God is worthy of worship is beyond comprehension.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
Apparently there was some sort of evil god run amuck on the planet trying to kill everyone.
The people resented it and were trying to figure out a way to go to heaven in order to complain about this god and to see if there was some way to get rid of him.
The evil god decided the way to water down the universal denouncement of him was to make it so they could not speak with a single voice, and so this reign of terror was able to be prolonged.
This is why you have Jesus saying, "Who can go up to heaven, other than someone who came down from heaven?"
He realized our attempt to ask for help was not going to work so God sent His son down to deal with that evil god by demonstrating his true nature when he killed someone totally righteous but did not bow down to him.
edit on 5-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)


I see a lot of Christians making up stories like this all the time. It's just whatever comes into their heads, pure speculation based on nothing at all. This kind of thinking, of course, makes all those other silly stories -- the bible ones -- just as suspect.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join