It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labor day means "speeding ticket day"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Labor day and memorial day in this country has been boiled down to how many tickets can the cops write. I don't know about your state but in Ohio it is horrible. I must have counted at least 50 pulled over cars on the road while traveling to see family. That is infuriating enough, to milk good people for taxes to prop up the nazi state.

But what really bugs me is how they sit under the bridge and point a radar gun at you. Question: If I pointed a radar gun at a police officer, would he C) taser me for being a terrorist.

If the average person can't sit under a bridge on the highway, pointing radar guns at people (I think it was a radar gun, maybe it was an assault rifle, who can say? Better be safe than sorry, it could be white al qaeda), giving tickets to drivers who go too fast, why can police officers do that? I'm sick of the government getting special rights other people can not get. Twice a truck tried to run me off the road, where's the cops to stop all the semis with unmarked trailers?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yeah, just recently, I got my first speeding ticket....not even 4 days later I get a second one....all after 4+ years of driving.

So today I am definitely not trying to drive. Thanks for the warning!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Labor day and memorial day in this country has been boiled down to how many tickets can the cops write. I don't know about your state but in Ohio it is horrible. I must have counted at least 50 pulled over cars on the road while traveling to see family. That is infuriating enough, to milk good people for taxes to prop up the nazi state.

But what really bugs me is how they sit under the bridge and point a radar gun at you. Question: If I pointed a radar gun at a police officer, would he C) taser me for being a terrorist.

If the average person can't sit under a bridge on the highway, pointing radar guns at people (I think it was a radar gun, maybe it was an assault rifle, who can say? Better be safe than sorry, it could be white al qaeda), giving tickets to drivers who go too fast, why can police officers do that? I'm sick of the government getting special rights other people can not get. Twice a truck tried to run me off the road, where's the cops to stop all the semis with unmarked trailers?

good folks obey speed limits for the safety of their fellow motorists...speeders deserve the tickets they are given. where is the law that you believe exists stating that average citizens can not radar passing traffic? never heard of it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Yes, here the police can ride Segways but we can not. With the world trying to find greener, cheaper ways of transport, all I can say is "What's with that."

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

The issue is that (at least where I live), people are not "speeding." They are driving what they think should be the normal speed limit for the road they are on (is it would be say 60km anywhere else), only to find out that the city has posed exceptionally low speed limits. 80% of the tickets given around here, are to out of towner's who don't know the score.

It's very unethical, and shows disregard for the population. The cops are just doing the bidding of crummy politicians to raise money. But, not enough people seem to care.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Experienced drivers know that drinking holidays get special attention when it comes to the roads. I appreciate the extra attention to keep the roads safe from the drunk drivers.

Don't drink and drive, and don't speed and all will be fine.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ultraman2011

The issue is that (at least where I live), people are not "speeding." They are driving what they think should be the normal speed limit for the road they are on (is it would be say 60km anywhere else), only to find out that the city has posed exceptionally low speed limits. 80% of the tickets given around here, are to out of towner's who don't know the score.

It's very unethical, and shows disregard for the population. The cops are just doing the bidding of crummy politicians to raise money. But, not enough people seem to care.

if the speed limit is posted how is it the citys fault that people driving cant read?

how is it unethical to give someone a ticket for disobeying POSTED speed laws?
i just dont understand the logic of arguing the point. lobby the city to raise the limits within the area you are arguing about get a petition and have local people join you in the request. seems silly to say, people are getting tickets for disobeying posted speed laws and that isnt fair...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

i see folks riding segways all the time in my city... never see the cops doing it though... it is a tool of lazy folks with too much money

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I agree with you.

Follow the rules people........

The one thing that does bother me is the DUI check points around here.......You have to basically prove that you are not drinking.....Should'nt that be the other way around???? I used to be a heavy drinker and I can say that my record shows it.....I regret every dumb azz mistake, I have never harmed anyone other than myself, but I do not drink anymore............I should not have to proove it, just to go for a ride to a friends house or whatever........If I screw up, then you should pull me over.........Not, lets pull everyone over and see if they are ok to drive......

Anyways sorry, maybe I should start my own little rant

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer

Originally posted by filosophia

good folks obey speed limits for the safety of their fellow motorists...speeders deserve the tickets they are given. where is the law that you believe exists stating that average citizens can not radar passing traffic? never heard of it.

Might as well amend that statement to " good folks OBEY..."
Good citizens obey everything their government says, 'cause the government knows what's best for your and others' safety. You wanna be a good folk, right? OBEY.

Where i live, if you drive 10+, sometimes even 15-20+ mph over the limit, you better get in the far right hand land and hope you don't get run over by everyone else.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

People have a sense of what a speed limit should be on certain roads. They cannot always act like robots and be every vigilant to see every sign immediately.We have photo radar van's positioned in strategic locations.

In fact, several people wrote the local paper last year to say there was cop sitting just past a sign (like 25yrs) where the speed limit dropped from 60km to 50km. He was jumping out giving tickets "cause people were speeding."

We also have vans sitting on a busy exit and entrance from a highway. The "safe" thing to do, is sometimes is to get a safe distance from you and the car in the other lane by increasing speed. Opps, ticket for you it you do!

The thing is,all this ticket given doesn't even work. Driving stats here are worse than places like Ontario where photo radar is not used. It's all about the money.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's my birthday. I should get a free pass.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

, I was pulled over and the cop thought I was drunk, when I was sober.

I told him it was the steering wheels fault.

I was tired and just got off from a late night shift.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
i drive for a living ...every day. I do not speed, there is no real reason to do so. Stop lights are set up to meter traffic, and yes speeders are in the calculation for the light timing.
i havent had a ticket in 20years.
i am a police academy graduate with certificates in EVOC ( emergency vehicle operations course. amd advanced EVOC. is it safer for me to exceed the limit than most folks? no a solid no no no. when people all decide that the speed limit is "how safe they feel behind the wheel" they have fallen victim to their own insanity. You can only account for the actions and reactions of yourself on the road, not those of the other drivers, and possible unknown road conditions. even if you have been down the road 1000 times make no matter.
it is arrogant to believe that there should be no regulation of speed on public roads, it encourages mayhem and death and is irresponsible.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Experienced drivers know that drinking holidays get special attention when it comes to the roads. I appreciate the extra attention to keep the roads safe from the drunk drivers.

Don't drink and drive, and don't speed and all will be fine.

I appreciate this post. its quite possible that this is the most helpful post of the day. Ty.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
red light cameras are an entirely different topic than speed laws and is off topic and a diversion from the issue.
people have a sense of how fast they should drive?
people are idiots, make stupid decisions, and are often distracted from the multi-ton missile that they are directing down the road. regulation is for everyone safety. true some places it is a revenue cow, it shouldn't be and that is the issue you need to take to your next city council meeting, etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Oh they are horrible about that around here in Texas. Any holiday that there might be an increase in drunk drivers or what have you... they are out in full force ready to bust you for speeding, DUI, etc...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Not just speeding
New guy at work first night in his rental house parked on street. BAD not between 2 AM and 7 AM 125 $

Next night bumper of truck overhung sidewalk BAD 125 $

Third night parked in his front lawn because he still dad moving van and 2 cars. BAD do not park on yout front yard 125$

Fourth morning backed out at 5AM and hit 2 cars parked on street called the police and nearly went to jail because the cop wouldn't ticket the 2 cars but gave him a ticket.

2 days later a guy running from the cops t boned his wife as she backed out of the drive. Cops tried to blame her even though several people said the cop didn't have his siren on and the siren wasn't on it the police recording.

6 months in the city nearly $500 in tickets but $625 k from the city for a cop that was actually racing

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I also reside in OH...

But I see it every holiday and have since I first started driving, about 15 years ago.
It's an opportunity for cops to bring in extra money, because our taxes aren't enough.
There is a huge conspiracy in that subject itself...

But I digress...

If you don't speed then why worry about it?

What I want is cops in OH to arrest idiots on their cellphones! (you know who you are)
Usually swerving or speeding because of the distraction.
Three times alone this year I almost died (no joke) because some idiot was talking away...
They could care less who was around them or just ignored me and my motorcycle.
I was and still am mad about those incidents and those people.

In other words, I see it like this:
"If you aren't breaking their "laws" then you've got nothing to worry about."

But people shouldn't really be speeding to begin with.
What's the rush?
Why are people in such a hurry? (that should be the real topic here!)
Studies have shown that increasing your speed only shaves a few seconds...
(at least from what I remember)

Pretty simple to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It is a big money maker and always has been in Ohio which is a major thoroughfare for interstate travel. They have always Capitalized on their geographical location and as well as the influx of out of staters, driving on these long straight soporific highways trying to get home.

I recall back in the days of the double nickle it was one word....BORING !

The difference with the OHIO system is that they go strictly by the book. If you are over the limit, you're getting a ticket.

They even include a postage paid envelope ....now Have a good day !

With cars being considerably safer and efficient, as well as the The highways originally designed for much higher speed limits. Like those speed limits out West.

A ticket for 10mph over to an unwary out of towner does have more to do with revenue than safety.

Here's the speed limit laws by state:

www.ghsa.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join