It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone identify these symbols...or maybe just markings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have had this ring...well maybe not a ring for quite awhile and only recently started to look at it closely.

This is what the piece looks like. It's big enough to go around my thumb tip and weighs 2.1 ounces. You can see the ring at the top as well. My guess is that it was originally designed to hang around the neck or it is an actual ring for a finger with a dangling piece missing but that's just a guess.

I have had it in a drawer for over 20 yrs and bought it at a garage sale back then for about .50 if my memory serves me correctly. And yes, I have had it checked...it's gold. But I'm more interested in the markings.

As you can see, it's not machine crafted and very crude so I think it could be old as well.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/167f3ca71e2f.jpg[/atsimg]

Sorry for the blurry pics but that's all I can do for now. I can see some symbol type images here but have no idea as to what they may be. If they are anything at all. My guess is that if someone here identifies one as an actual symbol, then the rest will be as well.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/638b2f113498.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ab298c30b46.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d8dbd7633879.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be2cf14d83f8.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2a658e201e02.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0b47be1831f.jpg[/atsimg]

Any help would be appreciated as I am now curious as hell!

Damn ATS!

Thanks in advance for any help and...

Peace!

edit on 4-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

maybe try to draw the sybols you see on the ring so we can take a look at them. The pictures are too difficult to dicipher.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlyingFaucers
reply to post by jude11

maybe try to draw the sybols you see on the ring so we can take a look at them. The pictures are too difficult to dicipher.

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

ETA:

Done...not my best work but it'll have to do...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Blurry but interesting even so, what kind of camera you using? Need to try to get better pics, even if far away, we could zoom

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Are you sure it isn't a decorative napkin ring? My grandmother has something similar, though I doubt hers are solid gold. I can't wait to see better pics.

ETA: does it have a maker name on the inside? Usually jewelers add a mark of some kind.
edit on 4-9-2011 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tbonedude
reply to post by jude11

Blurry but interesting even so, what kind of camera you using? Need to try to get better pics, even if far away, we could zoom

The only camera I have right now is my lap top...
Not easy at all.

I'll try for better ones but maybe someone here can at least recognize something from these crappy ones.

Sorry.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
Are you sure it isn't a decorative napkin ring? My grandmother has something similar, though I doubt hers are solid gold. I can't wait to see better pics.

LOL...Guaranteed not be. At least I think so.

No, this has been down to the jewelers and it's gold so I can't see that being a napkin ring. At least I hope not. I don't have the full set! lol

Napkin rings are usually bigger in size. This just fits on my thumb tip if I push real hard but could go on my pinky.

Also, the ring at the top has me curious.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I read it two ways at the moment nither Iam sure is right. So here are the guesses: the top image is the unleashing I see the second symbol as power looks like 2 o's with hair growing off them the third I see as the sun.

So in conclusion I guess it means unleash the power of the sun. Or the power of the sun unleashed. But thoes are guesses and I am sure they are not correct.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Looks to be some sort of elvish. I'd advise you to dispose of it in the fires of mordor before the eye of Sauron sees it. You have my axe

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonco6
I read it two ways at the moment nither Iam sure is right. So here are the guesses: the top image is the unleashing I see the second symbol as power looks like 2 o's with hair growing off them the third I see as the sun.

So in conclusion I guess it means unleash the power of the sun. Or the power of the sun unleashed. But thoes are guesses and I am sure they are not correct.

Correct or not, it's more than what I had.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RightInTwo
Looks to be some sort of elvish. I'd advise you to dispose of it in the fires of mordor before the eye of Sauron sees it. You have my axe

Nope, I'm taking it on a quest and gonna trade it for a pint.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The symbols are South American, almost Aztec or Inca but I'll check my books and tell you exactly which tribe later tonight if anyone has'nt got to it first.
edit on 4-9-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by jude11

The symbols are South American, almost Aztec or Inca but I'll check my books and tell you exactly which tribe later tonight if anyone has'nt got to it first.
edit on 4-9-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

Thank you!

I'll definitely star ya for that one...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I just made a search and could not match it up. To me the first one looks like a plant. I do suspect they are pictograms though. If it is south American you should really take it to a historian. That way you would get the info you want.
Congratulations on your find! You do seem to have something very special.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
I just made a search and could not match it up. To me the first one looks like a plant. I do suspect they are pictograms though. If it is south American you should really take it to a historian. That way you would get the info you want.
Congratulations on your find! You do seem to have something very special.

Thank you for your efforts. I have also come up blank in my search but maybe someone will stumble across this thread and have the info at hand.

Thanks again,

Peace

top topics

join