It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the moon have an atmosphere?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Does the moon have an atmosphere?

This subject has been discussed numerous times but till this date there is no conclusive evidence.

So why would I ask the same question again?

Well I like to show you a few frames from the 1969 Apollo 12 mission, which might be showing
(or not) evidence that the moon could have an atmosphere.

Would love to hear some expert opinions!

Greetz,

Sander

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Out of the 6 minutes of vid, could you point to where the few frames are. Its just that I'd rather get to the main point of the argument before my valuable time is smudged with heresay first.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

2:50

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 1967sander

Nope. No atmosphere... I just had an astronomy class a few months back.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Corsair571

Watch the whole video and the story about cosmic rays ... or ask for a refund.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1967sander

Watch the whole video and the story about cosmic rays ... or ask for a refund.

I'll pass on the refund. But I guess theirs something there. Im curious if its possible to add a more full artificial atmosphere to the moon.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Jump on board my project and let's find out if it can be together.....follow my thread

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I believe it has a "trace" atmosphere but does not wield enough gravity for what we would consider a true atmosphere

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I believe it has a "trace" atmosphere but does not wield enough gravity for what we would consider a true atmosphere

I may be mistaken on this but dose the core of a planet or moon have anything to do with atmosphere?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 1967sander

This subject has been discussed numerous times but till this date there is no conclusive evidence.

Really now?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Did you know that NASA opened a bar on the moon ?

Well it closed after two weeks, there was just no atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The Moon has a trace atmosphere, but that's next to zero in real terms. You can tell this by looking at the Moon from Earth. When the Moon's not full, part of it is covered in shadow. Where the lit part of the Moon meets the shadowed part, the dividing line (the terminator) is very sharp. If there was an atmosphere as we know it the line would be hazy or blurred. With a telescope you can see this very clearly and especially when looking at the crators and mountains.

Here are the facts and figures and how the trace atmosphere was formed.

Universe Today

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

if I understand your question, yes it does. to exist and survive, an atmosphere needs to be held by gravity and protected by a magnetic field, both of which are influenced greatly by the core

I am hardly an expert, just things I've picked up

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
How could it have an atmosphere? It's a big, motionless rock. You could consider earth as an example; if it were motionless, gravity would cease, and the atmosphere would be obliterated. I'm no astrophysicist. . common sense just tells me so.
edit on 4-9-2011 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RightInTwo

The Moon's not motionless, it orbits the Earth and spins on its axis. It appears not to because it is tidally locked - this means that its rotation is synchonised with the Earth. Motion has nothing to do with gravity, gravity is a result of mass, consequently the Moon has 1/6 of the Earth's gravity. This in itself is not enough to hold on to any meaningful atmosphere, it would also need a magnetic field to prevent the solar wind from blowing the atmosphere away. The Earth has a magnetic field thankfully, otherwise we'd be in big trouble.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Actually, space has trace hydrogen. And how much is not known. How much H1 is, because it's easy to detect with radioastronomy, but not how much H2, That can and has been detected where it's hot but not where it's cold. And that should cast doubt on some things astronomers believe, because they don't take H2 into account when interpreting observed redshift, even though it's probably there.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I had a whole course of Astronomy classes both in high school and Uni and no, currently there is no atmosphere. Or it is negligable that we wouldnt call it 'atmosphere', Whether it has had is a question.
edit on 4-9-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm not going to waste over 6 minutes of my life to watch another Youtuber video about what is verified information. THE MOON HAS NEAR ZERO ATMOSPHERE!

Have you hear about that restaurant that opened up on the moon? Yeah, great food but no atmosphere.
edit on 4-9-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It has too little gravity to hold atmosphere against the force of the solar wind, very little magnetic field to shield against the solar wind, and no processes (life, volcanism) which would generate new atmosphere. I could definitely imagine trace heavy gases hanging around the surface of any given moon, but certainly nothing you'd want to breathe.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The moon has a very very thin atmosphere. It wouldn't seem like one to us because it's so faint. Perhaps, it still could have the ability to interfere with cosmic rays. But it does have an atmosphere of sorts.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join