It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does your last name mean???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I won't say my name but it's Polish and means son of sigmund and my family be long to the prawdzic coat of arms (might of spelt that wrong
)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Without going on the site my family name is simply a profession which was first recorded (for my family) in court records c 1100s. Which really does play into my family history as they have generally alternated between master-craftsmen / scholars and very black sheep

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

WOW, My last name means "Red Shield" in German. Ha Ha, just kidding.

My last name comes from Lorraine France and Brittany, the Family was the predominant Nobility from 1578-1724.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Did you pay for that pic from that website? I tried to copy mine but the bastards want to charge me!

Nevermind, I forgot to use the power that is Google Image

My mothers maiden name family crest
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8eb514fb9879.jpg[/atsimg]

and this? How many crests does a family have? This one is similar to yours

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e5631548ee9.jpg[/atsimg]

Found another

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e9e967c995d.png[/atsimg]

edit on 4-9-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I dont have a last name

Just like most people in here in indonesia. We just give name whatever we want, one word, 2 or even 7 words like my friend.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I've come across this problem before in looking up my surname. It is undeniably Polish and makes it hard to find any information. I had no luck with my mother's maiden name, either, so I tried both my grandmother's names and did get something from them.

On my mom's side, her mother's name, Howe, appears to be an English name derived from the Old English hoh which means heel or projecting ridge of land.

On my dad's side, his mother's maiden name was Gorman. The information I got, however, was skeptical at best. They say it's an Irish name derived from Gaelic gorm which means "blue". I don't think that's the right interpretation in my case because my great-granddad was most definitely Polish.

The problem I've found, and I'm sure it's true for many people with Slavic surnames, is that when my great-grandparents came to America around the turn of the 20th century, many names were "westernized". Some even adopted fictitious names.

If anyone knows where I could look up eastern European names, I'd appreciate any information.
edit on 4-9-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Nice... although my great uncle (a scholar) traced my paternal family back to the domesday book (1086) we don't have any kind of fancy crest.. tho I guess that might be a local thin.. the county I live in (Sussex) have only just agreed (20 May 2011) on the traditional flag... it's only taken them about 1300 years

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I think the meaning of the last name is important...not the last name itself. As for them being able to find me....you may be surprised to know ....that some internet providers.....make it so...that many people are very anonymous.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Turns out my family name has its origins in celtic cornwall, and that I had ancestors in the battle hastings 1066
Thanks for posting the link..

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Check this out. I've got blue eyes, dark brown hair, but when I grow a beard I have ton's of red in it. I'm also very handy at whatever I do or interested in. I've always had naturally wide shoulder's and big chest. My temper has always gone 0-1000 in light speed.

My last name is Johnson. So yeah, I'm Viking. That explains all of the above, lol. Oh, and believe it or not, I was always very good with money from about 8 or 9 up. My parents gave me a $100 when I was 8 or 9 and instead of running off spending it on toys or whatever, I kept that thing for I don't know how long. Every birthday after that I asked for money. Every year, same thing, I would never spend it, only save it. Did the same thing when I started work. Eventually had my own business at 23. But anyway, the Vikings/Normans were also known to be extremely good with money starting from a young age.

When I searched for Johnson I had seen where it said we originated from Vikings. So when I looked up Vikings or Normans under wikipedia that is where I found all the characteristic info that turns out to be so true. If you read about the Norman's on wiki every bit about me is true. Oh and i'm not very tan as one might could imagine. I'm not white white either, but just not tan. I guess it's from all them cold winters we endured from conquering and pillaging. I so want to pillage right now it's not even funny...nor is it even Monday yet. Just kidding, I'll leave that with the annies.

It's funny because all this time I never thought I was Viking or descended from Vikings. I was thinking I was pure English or something like that. Which of course in a sense I am, the Normans did take over England and changed the language. Believe it or not, I do have a huge infatuation with words and their meaning and breaking them down to what they really mean, etc. Wonder if that's where that comes from?

Good job Op, learn something new everyday, but some days we learn stuff that's just better, haha.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
That site was alright, but it didn't go back very far. Our family detectives have traced our family name back to what is now southern Germany in 340 B.C., so we are of Germanic origin best we can tell. The thing about our family is that we would slightly alter our name depending on which country we were currently living in, but the main name would remain unchanged. For example, if our last name was Francis and we moved from Germany to Italy, we word alter it to "Francisco". Our first names are dead giveaways as to what country we were currently living in when we were born. Marie for Germany, Maria for Italy, and Mary for England lol

My family has never held to any nationality or group strongly, but only to ourselves and the country which allows us to live most freely at the time. We have always moved to avoid wars and civil unrest. When we came to the U.S. in the early 1800's, we moved north west to Montana to avoid the Civil War. If unrest breaks out again, I'll probably head back to South America (Venezuelan and American dual citizenship). Call that cowardice, but try to name one war besides ones fought for independence from tyranny that was ever worth fighting and dying for.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by deadmessiah

Our family detectives have traced our family name back to what is now southern Germany in 340 B.C.

Thats just not believable.

Unless youre an aristocrat with knowledge of secret family record, how could you find any records that far back?

Its impossible. Generally speaking, people cant usually find information later then the 5th-6th century CE, and that is a stretch for the majority of people.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
And check out our coat of arms. I took one glance at this and knew exactly what my ancestors were trying to say. When they spoke to me through this, they say to me:

"We need no armor, bunch of shields or swords. Especially when we got cocks. We've got our cocks, and they are mighty cocks indeed"

Seriously, what else would all those big strong cocks on there mean?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

Roosters are a symbol for vigiliance, honor and strength. Generally speaking, it is a masculine symbol.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Our family name was traced to papyrus and stone tablet records found mainly found in Pompeii. In early 1000's, apparently we had a kingdom or league of some sort and many of us were mayors, managers, diplomats, and clerks during that time. There has always been people in our family that keeps records of our family tree. We've always had clerks and historians in our family. My passion is history, language origins, and research. My father and his father are linguists and historians and I have worked as a manager for 6 years now. My sister and grandmother have always worked as clerks.

Even after we "settled" in the U.S., we became missionaries or foreign diplomats. As you might notice, we can never sit still in one place for long. The longest I've lived in one spot is 3 years. We've never had many friends at all, and we have always gravitated to our family. So family ties is what we hold most dear. Guess the clan of ours that went to Pompeii escaped a war, but got screwed anyways

Know your family origins and history to discover your destiny. I think this is something many people have forgotten. Instead of trying to figure out who you are and what you want to do, look to your family's history and you will probably find what you are meant to do or good at doing. I never went to college or took courses on management, it just came naturally. My dad and grandfather can speak 3 - 4 different languages, and they speak them fluently. Perhaps another indication of our family's ability to relocate and re adapt easily into another culture and language.

As you might notice, this is somewhat of a passion for me, shutting up now!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Even after we "settled" in the U.S., we became missionaries or foreign diplomats. As you might notice, we can never sit still in one place for long. The longest I've lived in one spot is 3 years. We've never had many friends at all, and we have always gravitated to our family. So family ties is what we hold most dear. Guess the clan of ours that went to Pompeii escaped a war, but got screwed anyways

You sound elitist

Whats so important about preserving your family 'purity'??

I take an interest in these subjects too, although not professionally, and i have no ancestors involved in this. I notice that, in my research, only aristocrats take such pains to record their family history

Its also these aristocrats who are steeped in a world totally different from what the laymen in society know. Their 'interbreeding', or mixing with only certain other families (one cannot just sleep with cousins. You need to breed with other 'special' famlies who you can pass on the genes/tradition into later ages) is designed to preserve power, between them and some other force.

Anyways. The way youre talking, it comes off that youre family is involved with that secret society that underlies ordinary society...

Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg is a poignant example of such passing on of noble titles. His father, and his father, back to the early 4th century of the common era, were kings, princes, dukes, counts, mayors, etc, each father passing the power down to a son. Very very strange thing. Some 44 generations of this that can be recorded. One might postulate that this goes back even further, into roman and pre Roman Times, in Egypt, Babylon, Sumer..

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

edit on 4-9-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Haha, it looks like it to a degree, but we have always strived to be free and have tried to help less fortunate, hence the missionary aspect of our family, something I doubt you'd see David Rothschild doing lol. Also, we usually have very little and never felt the need to be rich. Just give us a cabin in the mountains or a hut on the beach and we're happy. From the records we have, our family has always married outside our clan. Most of the outsiders are predominantly German, French, and Italian. I think the elite tend to value their names and not change or alter them, something my family has never had a problem doing. lol

Me and my family are against secret societies. We know who instigate the wars in this world and its to our advantage to know beforehand what is coming so as to move before a war comes to our doorstep. No one in my family are Masons, Zionists or Luciferian. My grandfather is somewhat Christian in belief, my uncles were into Buddhism and/or Hinduism and my grandmother is formerly Catholic. My father is agnostic, one brother is an atheist, and I'm still uncertain what to believe. Its a journey

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Theres nothing strange about being a zionist. Im a Zionist, which means, i support a Jewish state....Oogiee boogie, what a scary and nefarious idea!

But yea. I stay away from Masonry. My uncles are members of the Knights of Colmbus, and atleast there branch isnt the most Kosher, so ive overall stayed away.

I do my own thing.

But yes. I would agree that knowing your history is an important thing. However, i know very little.

My grandfather had two last names, and the one i have is the one he used. My maternal grandmother was 'esteves', ie; of spanish origin, my moms mom was dasilva, and my grandfather melo...

Really. Were apart of many different family trees when you get down to it.

I do know though that on my mothers side, one of her far ancestors was a murano Jew, fleeing the inquisition in Portugal.
edit on 4-9-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ahh must be nice when your name comes up on one of those.

I only know what my name means via my dad and that is "Valley of Christ." It's German and was originally French in origin. I traced it back to the 1200s with a French spelling then in the 1600s there is a German spelling starting with a "G" then later it changed to the current spelling with a "C." Nobody knows why they changed, that has been hard to find out. Also no family Crest that I could find either....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join