What does your last name mean???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
edit on 4-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: conflicting info.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Here's a good site to possibly find your family's origins, members, and history: www.genealogy.com...

That's where I got a lot of my family's information from. Basically its also a message board. The first one of our family used it in '99 and throughout the years, other family members have come across the site and added their information and knowledge. After just 3 years, we had traced ourselves back to 340 B.C.! I understand that we might be different due to our historical book keeping interests and our constant search for family members.

Interesting that only a couple of your family members are Masons. I was invited by a "Brother" once, but declined. I would help out at a lodge for community events because I enjoyed it. A lot of the good 'ol old southern boys are masons and there seems to be a lodge in every town in Georgia. He also told me that I couldn't join if I had a felony on my record, but that if I wanted to join, all I had to do was send a message via the lodge (or him) to someone higher up in government and they would erase my offense if I had one. Explains some things, doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Neither my married name (German) nor my maiden name (Dutch) came up.

I would love to research my family history but I have very little information to go on. Nothing has ever come up on the little information I have, and there is no living person for me to ask, as my only living blood relatives are my children.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
How do you find out what they mean? When I click the link it just has coat of arms, prominent people with the name, nothing about meaning. Unless there is no meaning.

Not saying what mine is purely because I hate my name and prefer not to use it where possible. I do share a surname with some acting folk though.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Try this site: www.searchforancestors.com...

My last name is basically "ox". At least, that's the Italian translation.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
My last name is from English decent, but can be traced back to being Flemish (Not phlegm-ish, thank you). it means "I Watch Over." Strange and neat, just the way I like it.

- Another sight has this for my mother's maiden name:

"The son of Hugh. Aventinus derives Hugh from Hougen, that is, slasher or cutter. Alfred, in the year 900, used Hugh to denote comfort. Hugh in the Gaelic, is Aoidh, which signifies affability, a guest, a stranger. Hu suggests the idea of elevation; Ho, Hu, highness." ...that's way different.
edit on 4-9-2011 by ThePawnsTheory because: More info, yo.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
My last name is German and it means that I am a descendant or a heir, so where is my kingdom?

I like how it is German though, makes me feel all emperor-ish.
edit on 4-9-2011 by EmperorZeno because: misread

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
First name interpretations according to that site the op gave.

In Hebrew it means "God is my judge or Jehovah is my judge" so whatever that is supposed to mean. In Celtic its supposed to mean or be derived from meaning "father of all the gods".

Which makes sense because my grandfather named me, and he was a little on the religious side. So it would mean something of that nature, having to do with god or religion and what not.

My last name however...... was not found.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
that site is not 100% accurate on all things the 30 or so variations of spelling for my surname is ok but does not list foreign ones it says my name is picttish in origin true for scotland but i know that it can be traced back 6000 years one of my bloodline laid the foundation stone for the statue of liberty now theirs a clue the master mason of the grand lodge of america . never did join the kiddie fiddlers club though .old saying in scotland were all jock thompsons bairns

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I found out that my name is an Anglicized version of a Gaelic word meaning "dark". It makes a lot of sense considering even my closest relatives. My father was a drug dealer when I was younger and also works for the military. My aunts/uncles are murderers, drifters and have mental illnesses. My grandfather was an imperial wizard in the KKK and my maternal grandparents were nomads of avrudaka.

But I reject the darkness of my heritage and turned to the Light of the world. I can safely say this is the most important and best decision of my life. I am glad you posted this link as it explains my propensity towards the dark side.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Says my last name, was first recorded in a.d. wowzers! When the heck was that?! Lol.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The website house of names is a data mining website --no doubt about it.

Once you enter your name, they'll match your entry, to the time, to the IP address and all of your other demographics (if you're using Windows, etc., and which Windows you are using, etc.) that are printed each morning and that'll be compiled in what is called a "Fresh List."

A Fresh List is sold for THOUSANDS of dollars to telemarketers because all information is currently up to date --no one has changed their email, haven't moved,. etc.

Sites like that are dangerous because the information you submit is so much more important than the information you get back --and who knows if it's right.

Please be careful when your volunteer to give out seemingly meaningless information, because what's meaningless to you, is someone else payday. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Here's what I got:

First found in Germany, where the name [BLANK ]became noted for its many branches with the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. Over time, the family became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
means"son of Stanko"

I could of gone the rest of my life not knowing that.....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
My last name ,Littrell, is of English descent. Before then, the family name hailed from France where the name has thought to have initially been established after an area in Normandy.

Not widely accepted, my last name has been said to derrive from the latin word for otter.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
LOL I can't say but it would make for a great ATS story.................

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join