It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right-wing commentator: Poor people voting is ‘un-American’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Many conservatives appear to think badly of poor people, but Matthew Vadum of the Capital Research Center takes it a step further. According to the title of his latest article for American Thinker, he believes that "registering the poor to vote is un-American."

"Why are left-wing activist groups so keen on registering the poor to vote?" Vadum asks. "Because they know the poor can be counted on to vote themselves more benefits by electing redistributionist politicians. Welfare recipients are particularly open to demagoguery and bribery."

"Registering them to vote is like handing out burglary tools to criminals," he continues. "It is profoundly antisocial and un-American to empower the nonproductive segments of the population to destroy the country-- which is precisely why Barack Obama zealously supports registering welfare recipients to vote. ... Encouraging those who burden society to participate in elections isn't about helping the poor. It's about helping the poor to help themselves to others' money."

Poor people also pay taxes every time the buy anything. And to disenfranchise any segment of a population because of income is treason. And how about the working poor Mr Vadum; a class of people growing larger every day. theeconomiccollapseblog.com... Class warfare indeed.........

This sort of elitist conservative attitude will in the long run help the progressives. Poor people will now hear of this attack on them and register to vote in record numbers and they will vote in their self interest; just like all members of all political flavors.

And the GOP/TPM calls the progressives elitist........

edit on 4-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
What a scumbag. It would be funny to see him lose everything and be forced to live at the poverty level for a while I bet he would kill himself before a year went by.

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well seeing that the middle class has all but collapsed, this moron is basically advocating that no one should vote unless they're either rich or they still have a job.

These are the clowns that help to destroy America, with their class warfare rhetoric and corporate suckling.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
well, poor people don't live in real america anyhow...
Seriously, why do they want to be poor? Why don't they just go ask their parents for money like real americans, or go to university or something. shesh.

I think the conservative is missing out on a major factor to the anti-americanism. old people...you realize how many old people vote for those whom suggest they will try to keep social security? And injured people wanting federal help from organizations like fema and such

What we need is a big sign, maybe in new york harbor..and attract attention to it by it being held by a statue of a woman. It should read:

"Please take our tired, our poor,
Our huddled masses, yearning to breath for free,
The wretched refuse of our teeming shore,
Take these, the homeless, tempest tossed,
I dim my lamp beside the golden door. "

That should work.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Poor people also pay taxes every time the buy anything. And to disenfranchise any segment of a population because of income is treason. Class warfare indeed.........

Come on, you and I both know that poor people spend all their welfare money on drugs. They don't even buy food, they just run on crack.

Seriously though, how can you say it's unamerican for somebody to vote? There are at least 4 different amendments to the constitution that are there just to make sure everyone has an equal opportunity to vote.... I just don't have words for this guy that would get through the censor.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

It's the way of the extremes. The left wing wants votes from 'undocumented immagrants', the elite branch of the extreme right wing wants just two classes and the TEA party is tryiing to explain that violations of our basic Constitutional rights, like this suggests, is going on from both political fringes. For the extremist, the middle class is their target to destroy. The real patriots who care for what we've stood for all along, are not trying to take over the right wingnut position as the media and others would have us believe. But idiots like this one give fodder to the Taxed Enough Already Party haters, and now, I expect those to respond to this thread.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I've said this many times: We now live in a Corporatocracy. This d-bag is just one of it's many propaganda shills. We are not moving towards a fascist state, we are already there. We are just given the illusion that we, and our votes, still matter. The haves bought out our elected officials long ago, now it's up to the shills like this guy to keep us in line...

+19 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What did he say that wasn't true?
The poor will vote for more entitlements, it's in their own best interests. What needs to be done is to get them NOT to be poor anymore.

But what progressive would want to lose their base?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Almost as dumb as saying black people shouldn't be able to vote.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

THE RIGHT WING REBUTAL

I guess this is just class warfare and racism, again

Well you have to make sure that the people are smart enough to vote first of all.
How do you know they can even tell who they are voting for?
Then that begs the question
What about ACORN and SAUL ALINSKY?
If the government didn't get involved politics, there wouldn't be poor people in the
first place. Illegal Immigrants should not be allowed to vote, but liberals depend on
them to win elections???

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek
Almost as dumb as saying black people shouldn't be able to vote.

I'm sure that you have more than enough people on here that would actually agree with that sentiment.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
To many people on here are loons. You have to weed out the sane from the insane.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek
To many people on here are loons. You have to weed out the sane from the insane.

Nope, you need the loons to just reassure yourself that you're not going crazy

These "loons" will say end entitlements because it will hurt a certain sector of people, but yet in the same breath they will balk at their mother or grandmother's SS and medicare being ripped away from them.

They're not only loons, but they're hypocrites and dishonest

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
When shtf I plan on hunting and eating as many rich people as possible. Crazy like a fox.......

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
The poor will vote for more entitlements, it's in their own best interests. What needs to be done is to get them NOT to be poor anymore.

What is it about "he wants to disenfranchise a segment of the citizenry" you don't understand?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave

post removed by staff

Thanks for the name calling.

What isn't true?
Poor folks will almost always vote for an increase in entitlement programs. it benefits them.

What needs to be done is to get people to the point where they don't need entitlement programs, NOT perpetuating their conditions.

Unless progressives like yourselves and the other posters here WANT to keep the poor, "poor".
edit on 4-9-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Sep 4 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

The poor vote against the people who give half a crap about them.

The GOP's answer to everything is

TAX cuts for the WEALTHY

DEREGULATION, just enough so the mega business's can charge 56% when you miss a credit card payment

TORT REFORM so corporations can break up class action by out financing and crushing
any individual legal challenges.

The GOP wants to defund grants systems which help people get educated so they can hopefully leave
the trap of poverty.

The GOP wants to end unemployment benefits, which will further impoverish many more people, which
will further destroy the economy.

The GOP wants to end Medicare because healthcare is akin to a car or watch, XRAYS are exotic,
who needs health anyways?

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What needs to be done is to get people to the point where they don't need entitlement programs, NOT perpetuating their conditions.

You're right!

BUT WHY STOP THERE!!!

I think everyone should be billionaires!!!

ONLY BILLIONAIRES SHOULD BE ABLE TO VOTE!!

Anyone below a billionaire is just worthless!!! They obviously should have less say in our democracy! The less you make, the less rights you have to vote!

I'M ALL FOR SILENCING YOUR VOTE BEEZER.

Don't know how much you make, but your brain is certainly poor.
edit on 4-9-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

First of all, you seem to believe that the "poor" are just a bunch of lazy colored folks that sit around and do drugs all day on the public dime. There are people receiving assistance that work their ASSES off just to make ends meet and provide for their families, and they have dullards screaming "oh cut them off!". You are beyond ignorant and more than likely, you've lived a sheltered existence.

Perpetuating their conditions would be to cut them off of everything and have them thrown in the streets, where then in turn people will become desperate and crime and violence will increase. I don't know about you, but I'd like to live in a society where my car window isn't being smashed into or my house isn't being broken into.

You're all for corporate welfare, but when your countryman needs a hand you hold your nose up without even the slightest clue or regard for their position.

If this country was run on the up and up, if there were liveable wages being paid, jobs to be had, and equal opportunities, there would be no need for entitlements. But guess what? It isn't. So take a step out of your dream world, realize that everyone isn't born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and stop favoring corporations over your fellow COUNTRYMEN.

And one last thing, it's hilarious to read stuff about the poor shouldn't be voting because they'll vote for entitlements...last time I checked, a lot of poor people are aligned with the GOP and they vote against their own self interests by supporting Republican candidates that could care less about the poor. So what are you trying to say?
edit on 4-9-2011 by illuminatislave because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Sep 4 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join