It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Homophobics Gay?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This information is out there. It seems to be true and it is something I have suspected for a long time but I am wondering what others feel about this daring and enlightening...proclamation. Shakespeare said something about he who protests too much and this is often a giveaway of unsettled feelings and emotions people are unable to face.

Sometimes, though not of course always, anger issues are the result of an underlying personal failure. Something we cannot come to grips with. Something that should be different than it is and so presents a conflict, nagging and unresolved. If a man happens to harbor some love of their fellow man, that turns unexpectedly physical, and homosexuality is so strictly forbidden it cannot even enter the realm of possibility, that mans psyche and sense of self is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It seems to me these men and some women are lashing out with hatred (for all appearances) AT HOMOSEXUALS, when underlying this is a real misery and disappointment, a hatred for the lack of acceptance of homosexuality for his own life and among his sphere of (usually also homophobic) acquaintances. This seems like an elaborate ruse, a theatrical show of bravado, meticulously contrived to promote the "I'm a HE MAN" image that heterosexuals don't feel compelled to prove, display or show.

Everything he/she (no pun intended) has learned, forbids him from being who he or she is.
There are NO ACCEPTABLE CHOICES. Deny self or deny others, and this creates a dilemma for the brain.

With deep seated resentment he hates the gays in the world who are allowed to be who they are while he cannot. This is how it seems and it appears from these studies this is how it is.

Some of this material was presented in this ATS thread previously including the results of the study appearing in the August 1996 issue of the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, published by the American Psychological Association www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal?

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35 ) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.psycnet.apa.org...

Are homophobes really gay? Scientific study

The study involved twenty-nine nonhomophobic men and thirty-five homophobic men...All sixty-four men described themselves as completely straight. Each man was shown three kinds of videotapes: heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian. ...here's where it gets interesting. While watching the male homosexual videos, the homophobic men were more than twice as likely to be aroused as the nonhomophobic men -- 54 to 24 percent.www.democraticunderground.com...

Fear of Homosexuals

WASHINGTON -- Psychoanalytic theory holds that homophobia -- the fear, anxiety, anger, discomfort and aversion that some ostensibly heterosexual people hold for gay individuals -- is the result of repressed homosexual urges that the person is either unaware of or denies. A study appearing in the August 1996 issue of the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, published by the American Psychological Association (APA), provides new empirical evidence that is consistent with that theory. ematusov.soe.udel.edu...

What do you think?
Is this true or a crock?

edit on 3-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
in my experience so far, theres definitely a high correlation.

i noticed tough-acting kids from jhs who would dwell on calling more whimpish boys forgots compulsively, i bump into them in odd places in nyc and its obvious they are gay

during my adolescent summer odd jobs i experienced pretty much the same:

many religious bashers of homosexuals = gay themselves
many macho/ overly muscle-concious 'act straight' folks = gay themselves
many fathers who are mad their son turned out gay = living fake life, molested their own kid(s)

thats what i've observed and im sure many others have.

people tend to project hate toward others' behaviour based on what they don't like about themselves.

their way of dealing with it without confronting it, perhaps distancing/displacing themselves from the underlying self-hate. that's gay.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'd hazard to say that that is probably true for some homophobes, but that others are like that simply because they are close-minded, haha. But I think that your thread makes a lot of sense, and that we really act on a lot of our subconscious feelings, so this is definitely logically possible.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think it may be true in many cases but I also believe that alot of homophobes are made that way by their upbringing. Either influenced by a church or homophobe parents or plain old peer pressure. IMHO
Good post btw

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Are athiests secretly religious?
Are people who use the race card bigots?

Little broad in the brush, aren't we?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Good research on the subject. It is indeed true that homophobia is not just the fear of homosexuals, but the fear of BEING homosexual. It is only through self-loathing and self-denial that such hatred towards others can be cultivated. Bisexuality is quite a normal state in the human race, and it has only recently (last few thousand years) been considered a social taboo. In times when women were considered property, romantic love was reserved for those whom one considered to be one's equals, or other men. Women were merely for procreation. While admittedly there are those who are strictly heterosexual, just as there are those who are strictly homosexual, a great many of us are bisexual and in complete denial. This causes inner conflict and exhibits itself as various degrees of homophobia. My observations have been that the more blatant and obvious the homophobia, the more intense the self-denial...

S & F!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is like saying are neo-nazis all secretly jews?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Why do you keep opening threads like this?

This is a conspiracy forum not a Lesbian and Gay support forum,good God.

Stop already.

edit on 3-9-2011 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
This is like saying are neo-nazis all secretly jews?

Show me the studies in the scientific journals to prove this or back it up and I might believe you.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

No...

Usually, yes...

Did you even bother yourself with the source material? And with your examples, YOU are the one using the VERY broad brush, not the OP...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I find it fascinating how logic goes out the window when this topic comes up.

You wouldn't say an anti-communist fears communism because of his own communist thoughts, or that a libertarian is a closet tax-lover would you?

If a woman is uncomfortable being around someone with a sexual fetish she finds strange, you wouldn't say it is because SHE is uncomfortable with her sexuality and her sexual preferences, would you? Of course you wouldn't, yet why does that logic not apply in this situation.

How often have we heard a man being accused of being uncomfortable with his own sexuality because he doesn't like being around men who practice homosexuality? That is backwards...

...Just like with the woman in the earlier example the man doesn't like being around homosexuals because he is uncomfortable with his own sexuality - he probably doesn't like being around them because he is uncomfortable with their sexuality.

Only when discussing this topic does regular logic seen to get thrown by the wayside.

*FYI, I have a lesbian grand-daughter. I also hate communists so if we use the logic commonly applied during this sort of discussion I guess that means I am actually 'closet communist' or something.

"That exuberant1 he doth protest too much. He is definitely a Red".

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

This would be one reason someones a homophobe however there could be multiple causes so saying this is the only reason is just wrong. There can be religious reasons such as sharia law for example. Then there is fear of anything different id say this is probably the largest group. Then there are people that believe that it contradicts the male image in society. So really it just depends on the person and what results they want to get for any particular study.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

No, sometimes and no.
I am repeating a study and noticing how it echos my own beliefs.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I came on this forum to read about conspiracies not about gays and lesbians.

Administrators should really consider to forbid threads like this.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
This is a conspiracy forum...

You apparently need to click on the "FORUMS" button above... ATS is a place to discuss EVERYTHING under the sun with two exceptions: Sex and Drug Use... THOSE are the only two forbidden topics here... If you don't care to read about or discuss a topic, DON'T CLICK ON IT!

This site is here for EVERYONE, not just the small-minded who only want to talk about things that most likely never happened or don't exist....

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
oh regarding other examples of distanced self-hate, there are plenty,

just consider all those we know who preach against something but practice it themselves

hypocrits!

and of course not all atheists are hypocrits just like not all homophobics are hypocrits.

just most

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Are Homophobics Gay?

No, they are not.

Maybe they just like to express their opinion.

One time I was at a party, and a gay man kept hitting on me. It was rather awkward but I laughed it off at first and just ignored it. Eventually I had to politely tell him to stop because it was making me uncomfortable because this was a work function and he was acting inappropriately.

He reacted by calling me a homophobe and secretly being a homo sexual. I am not saying all homo sexuals act like this, but this is an example of the twisted logic your thread title promotes. Does this mean I am homophobic or I am gay? LOL no, it does not.
edit on 3-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

This would be one reason someones a homophobe however there could be multiple causes so saying this is the only reason is just wrong. There can be religious reasons such as sharia law for example. Then there is fear of anything different id say this is probably the largest group. Then there are people that believe that it contradicts the male image in society. So really it just depends on the person and what results they want to get for any particular study.

Yes and no. Almost any study can be skewed to present whatever results you want but then you could never believe any study or trust any facts. At the same time if a report has a ring of truth to it, (and this can only be judged by your own morality and laws) you might take it under consideration.

You could sense this MIGHT be true by witnessing the number homosexuals accidentally tumbling out of the GOP closet... where homosexuality is as yet, UNACCEPTED.

Absolutely true that Sharia Law and religious reasons will attest to who someone does not approve of it but NOT WHY they make concerted efforts to go beyond the pale...to step out and vocally protest?
Also I think these studies were done here and did not take into consideration Sharia Law but you have a good point. As I said....sometimes, and it is to be considered. I rarely deal in absolutes, there are so few of them.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
fact remains, who in our society are most anti-homosexuality? priests

who in are society are most homosexual? ditto.

i have always wondered why so many gays flock to a profession preaching against it.

sheesh.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

There is a HUGE difference to your reaction to the situation you described and a REAL homophobic person. The 'gentleman' who accused you of being homophobic was ignorant and just trying to make a scene.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join