It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 famous paintings taken in an armed robbery

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
thanks, but is still not to see wich ones are from munch. it is strange that one painter paints 4 versions of the same motiv, isn�t it? one version is owned by a private collector, one is in the national gallery of norway and two were in the munch-museum, now only one. one is in black and white, thats all i know.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Oh, they wanted it back?

I was just borrowing it for a few days.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
If your not a total moron you would have a buyer set up for these paintings before you even stole them

This type of crime is alive and well

''According to Interpol, the art black market is the fourth largest international criminal enterprise (after drugs, money laundering and weapons). The FBI recently pegged the size of the market to be as high as $5 billion.''

www....-------------------------/library/crime/art-theft/

[edit on 24-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Yeh Norway lacks, one of the richest countries in the world and the easiest to robber

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cardu
Yeh Norway lacks, one of the richest countries in the world and the easiest to robber

Yeah, so it seems...
Major weapon theft from military in Norway

Anyway regarding the topic here,
It seems like there could be connections to Scottland...

Norwegain art robbery could give clues to Scottish Da Vinci theft

"It is a year since Da Vinci's Madonna with the Yarnwinder was stolen from Drumlanrig Castle and officers admit they are no closer to knowing the identity of the thieves. But the theft of Edvard Munch's The Scream from a gallery in Norway has raised the possibility of a link."

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This was published 5 days ago. They�re still searching.

Munch hunt behind police raid

"Oslo police have raided several Oslo addresses, sometimes using drug charges to gain warrants, with the recovery of the stolen paintings by Edvard Munch as their real goal"

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It's my guess, that in today's economic woes, Cash has become worthless. And who in there right mind would want to take paintings that can be so easily recognised? Must be going to display them in a basement somewhere, huh.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
It's my guess, that in today's economic woes, Cash has become worthless. And who in there right mind would want to take paintings that can be so easily recognised? Must be going to display them in a basement somewhere, huh.

People that collect stolen art have secret collections that only a small circle or even just themselves ever see. It really wouldnt be that hard to find someone that would want a famous painting in their secret collection if you had connections. Most of the time these people are known art collectors as these things cost so much money. They do a really good job keeping their secret art secret. Once the painting is off in a buyers hands it is rarely seen again most are recovered while still in the hands of the theives.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

19 Nov 2004, 11:27
The head of a bust portraying Norwegian artist Edvard Munch located near his grave in Oslo had its head cut off and stolen, police said Thursday.

The theft came nearly three months after two of his masterpieces, "The Scream" and "Madonna", were stolen from the Oslo museum bearing his name.

So far, no trace has been found of the paintings stolen in the Aug. 22 armed robbery.

Only the base remains at the site of Edvard Munch's grave.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Chopping off a head of a statue and stealing it that reminds me of that Simpson episode when bart stole the head of the Jeremiah Springfield.
I dont understand why someone would do that in real life. Was it worth alot of money?

Any word on the painting or are they still M.I.A?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Any word on the painting or are they still M.I.A?

The article I just posted above (Edit: on the previous page it is now) was published yesterday. They say: "So far, no trace has been found of the paintings stolen in the Aug. 22 armed robbery"...

[edit on 2004/11/20 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

The article I just posted above was published yesterday. They say there is still no trace...

Thats a shame alot of time has passed , I would be its secured in someone private collection by now. Some mega rich guy or girl gets to see it when ever he wants while it is lost to the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
They have made a strange find in a park in Oslo. A copy of Munch�s head wrapped in a norwegian flag, and it had a note with the latin word "Superbia" written on it. Very strange...

Norwegian source: Dagbladet: Mystisk Munch-funn knyttes til tyveri

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Munch�s head is back. It came back the same mysterious way it disappeared. And he was wearing a tie...

Dagbladet: Munchs hode tilbake (In norwegian...)

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
3 more original Munch paintings stolen! A female nightwatch were apparently surprised by the thieves.

They were stolen from this "house" :

This was one of the paintings which were stolen. :

This is just breaking so there are no more details right now.
Dagbladet: Munch-malerier stjaalet (in norwegian)

[edit on 2005/3/7 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The latest on "The Scream" and "Madonna" robbery (the latest Munch-robbery was just some kids...). They still don´t have "The Scream" and "Madonna" but believe they will soon, whatever that means...

Aftenposten: Munch robbery a diversion?

A shot of the NOKAS robbery in progress, captured by security cameras.

Police now apparently rounding up the final suspects in one of Norway's biggest robbery cases now believe their work may also lead to a breakthrough in the high-profile theft of two masterpieces by Edvard Munch.

The robbery, which was a ruthless and large-scale operation, resulted in the shooting death of police officer Arne Sigve Klungland, making it an exceptionally violent crime by Norwegian standards.

the robbery of Munch masterpieces "The Scream" and "Madonna" from the Munch Museum in Oslo on August 22 last year was part of an advance maneuver from the band behind the NOKAS heist. The goal would have been to tie up investigative resources by creating a spectacular art theft.

Click the picture for the whole article...

On that page there´s also a list of links to "Related stories" in english (Munch Robbery / NOKAS Robbery)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Norwegian media reports right now that there are strong indications that the paintings have been burned by some nervous criminals. They claim that there is a "secret" police report supporting this claim also.

Burned!!

The Scream and Madonna burned to ashes...!!

Nettavisen: «Skrik» er brent opp (in norwegian...)

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
They have found The Scream and Madonna! Finally, after two long years...

BBC: Stolen Munch paintings found safe

31 August 2006

Two masterpieces by artist Edvard Munch have been recovered two years after they were stolen from an Oslo museum.

The Scream and Madonna were found in a police operation. "We are 100% certain they are the originals. The damage was much less than feared," police said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join