It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opposition To Obama Speech Possibly Based On Skin Color

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

As far as my being employed to sweep streets or repair the infrastructure, I rather doubt I would be hired to do that. I am a small individual with a bad back and pretty much of a wuss. I'd be practically useless to a construction crew, and maybe even a hindrance, because they would have to put down their shovels and rescue me every time I screwed up.

Then... what are you good for? You seem at least halfway computer literate, so there's hope for you, there. But... honestly, I'm a scrawny guy who tips the scales at 140lbs, soaking wet. I handled factory work, manhandling steel and aluminum parts that were half and several times my own weight (completed assemblies were well over a thousand pounds).

I just started getting back into a workout routine as I have a class that has me sitting in a gym for over an hour, anyway - may as well. I start my day with at least a two-mile run and round it out with a combination of strength and toning exercises on the weight machines (something I'm not used to doing, but the class wants us keeping track of our activity - and I don't know how to quantify a lot of what I learned in the military). I kick the pants off of these 180-230 lbs walls of muscle in the class in terms of overall physical performance (they can out-bench/curl/etc me - but that is hardly a factor in a practical work environment).

The beauty of a "shovel ready" project is that people can be hired and be working immediately. Many big jobs require at least a year of preparation before they are ready to begin construction. More jobs means more money circulating in our economy and greater prosperity for all.

Except, in the case of government-contracted jobs, when the government is already spending into a deficit, contracting a bunch of people to "go out and do something" is not going to stimulate the economy. It is only going to increase government spending while seeing only a marginal increase in revenue from the taxes.

The problem isn't money circulating in the U.S. economy. The U.S. has been printing money into the deficit for decades.

The problem is a lack of productivity - things being made/done in the U.S. that are worth paying for. There's a startling lack of that by comparison to previous generations in the U.S. economy.

If the government invests in "shovel ready" anything - it should be to expedite the development of industrial parks and freight systems with a focus on exploiting our energy reserves (natural gas and oil, for example - both of which we have plenty of). That will have a massive ROI on one-time expenses that will trigger GDP and job growth in other segments that will not have to be continually paid for by the government printing press.

That, I would support.

Ultimately, though, the government should not be "creating" jobs. It should be enabling business/job growth.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by spinalremain
While it's dispicable and inaccurate to label anyone racist, solely based on the fact that they disagree with Obama's policies, I find it odd that righties are getting so overly defensive.

How can you be so blind as to not see racism toward Obama?

The same people who are continually swearing they're not racist are the same that for years now have begged for birth certificates, and have come up with crazier scenarios than the Magic Bullet Theory.

Of course it's childish are wrong to pull a race card where it isn't applicable, but that's far from equal to stating there is no racism toward the man. You'd have to be blind to not see the racism at times. It's thinly veiled to keep the spineless in the clear, but us grown ups see it just fine.

I have a problem with the flat out lies.
---------
A congressman stating that Tea Party members want to hang blacks from trees is a lie.

I would agree. It's basically assuming that total strangers want to murder someone. We shouldn't have that. You cannot claim an entire group of people are hate filled murderers.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Maybe if they just HAVE to have a black President, they should nominate Colin Powell. At least we would have an achiever with integrity and a resume in office instead of a complainer with no record (other than being a failure) at all.
edit on 9/1/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

I would've thrown my support 100% behind Colin Powell, possibly even campaigning for him actively, had he not thrown in his support for Obama simply because of the prospect of having a black man as president. I had thought Powell was smarter than that, and past giving someone a job because of race, but I guess he wasn't. Too bad, too.

/TOA

<< 7  8  9   >>

join