It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sacred formulas of the Cherokees: E-book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
here's another e-book you all might like...

The sacred formulas here given are selected from a collection of about six hundred, obtained on the Cherokee reservation in North Carolina in 1887 and 1888, and covering every subject pertaining to the daily life and thought of the Indian, including medicine, love, hunting, fishing, war, self-protection, destruction of enemies, witchcraft, the crops, the council, the ball play, etc., and, in fact, embodying almost the whole of the ancient religion of the Cherokees. The original manuscripts, now in the possession of the Bureau of Ethnology, were written by the shamans of the tribe, for their own use, in the Cherokee characters invented by Sikwâ´ya (Sequoyah) in 1821, and were obtained, with the explanations, either from the writers themselves or from their surviving relatives.

it covers some native american concepts on healing not just the body but the soul and mind as well... made for an interesting read too...

Click here to get your free copy
edit on 1-9-2011 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title

edit on 1-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: fixing my sucky hand coding

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Thank you very much for this!

Another thing to add to my list of things to read soon.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by occy30

I have a new friend who's Cherokee and trying to reconnect with her people...
I cant wait to give her this... she's going to flip... maybe not a good thing as she's also an ER Doc...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yes. Sacred information indeed. Thank You OP.
It has been said that part of thew reason they were driven off their land during the Trail of Tears because they derived power from the place. That is to say that they were in communication with the animal spirits, (including the Sasquatch), that they shared the land with and were making imperial expansion difficult..Thus, the logic goes, kick them off their land and they lose the energetic power associated with it. Point being, if this is true, they were a deeply spiritually connected tribe and I'm looking forward to reading this.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

Little know fact is
Part of the tribe never left...

of course that part of the Cherokee nation is unrecognized by the US government....
Not all the Cherokee were so quick to fall victim to the Indian removal act

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
converted it to pdf and made it available for download.

Sacred Formulas of the Cherokees

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I have a copy of this book and the title is Myths and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokees, it's an amazing book and has some stories about Judacula (alleged nephilim) that were amazing. Is this an excerpt or was the 'Sacred Formulas' published seperately at some point?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Osiyo!
Now it's free?!!
I think I paid $40 for mine.
Some great stories in there (how the otter got his coat is my favorite).
Mooney collected some great material but what exactly is survival related in there?
Mary Chiltosky is someone who has done some good work on Cherokee plants, you might want to check her out.

PS - I"m gonna beat myself with Cedar branches and live forever, haha!

I K33D, I K33D!.
Seriously, though sacred rituals are not something I go willy-nilly trying out for myself. They came from other people who I am not a part of and I feel it's disrespectful to try such things. I kinda thought you might see things that way yourself DB. I mean sharing is great, but there are limits to what can and what should be shared and with whom. I have turned down every sweat lodge I have been offered to participate in. I only did it much later with a good friend after much thought and deliberation. Call me slow.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

The whites drove the Cherokees off because they accepted the white man's ways and were actually faring far better than the local whites were and they grew very jealous. Add in a few rumors of gold up in the Cherokee lands and suddenly it was a popular idea to run them out.
Cherokees did own the best land and some even owned slaves.
Indians being more prosperous than whites was something they just couldn't stand.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
It has been said that part of thew reason they were driven off their land during the Trail of Tears because they derived power from the place.

...theres an old cherokee prophecy - some say thousands of years old - that foretold of their fall if they accepted the invaders ways, which is exactly what happened...

...if you google "keetoowah history", theres an interesting read via the second link from the top... its a pdf but theres a quick view... i cant link it - tried but no workie...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

but what exactly is survival related in there?

go to page 325....
there you will find this section...

SELECTED LIST OF PLANTS USED.

1. UNASTE´TSTIYÛ=“very small root”—Aristolochia serpentaria—Virginia or black snakeroot: Decoction of root blown upon patient for fever and feverish headache, and drunk for coughs; root chewed and spit upon wound to cure snake bites; bruised root placed in hollow tooth for toothache, and held against nose made sore by constant blowing in colds. Dispensatory: “A stimulant tonic, acting also as a diaphoretic or diuretic, according to the mode of its application; * * * also been highly recommended in intermittent fevers, and though itself generally inadequate to the cure often proves serviceable as an adjunct to Peruvian bark or sulphate of quinia.” Also used for typhous diseases, in dyspepsia, as a gargle for sore throat, as a mild stimulant in typhoid fevers, and to promote eruptions. The genus derives its scientific name from its supposed efficacy in promoting menstrual discharge, and some species have acquired the “reputation of antidotes for the bites of serpents.”

2. UNISTIL´ÛnISTÎ8=“they stick on”—Cynoglossum Morrisoni—Beggar lice: Decoction of root or top drunk for kidney troubles; bruised root used with bear oil as an ointment for cancer; forgetful persons drink a decoction of this plant, and probably also of other similar bur plants, from an idea that the sticking qualities of the burs will thus be imparted to the memory. From a similar connection of ideas the root is also used in the preparation of love charms. Dispensatory: Not named. C. officinale “has been used as a demulcent and sedative in coughs, catarrh, spitting of blood, dysentery, and diarrhea, and has been also applied externally in burns, ulcers, scrofulous tumors and goiter.”
[pg 325]
3. ÛnNAGÉI=“black”—Cassia Marilandica—Wild senna: Root bruised and moistened with water for poulticing sores; decoction drunk for fever and for a disease also called ûnnage´i, or “black” (same name as plant), in which the hands and eye sockets are said to turn black; also for a disease described as similar to ûnnagei, but more dangerous, in which the eye sockets become black, while black spots appear on the arms, legs, and over the ribs on one side of the body, accompanied by partial paralysis, and resulting in death should the black spots appear also on the other side. Dispensatory: Described as “an efficient and safe cathartic, * * * most conveniently given in the form of infusion.”

there's more but it give tips on the old ways of healing...
and that is survival...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Very cool, I`m going to print this out. Star for you.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I'm always open to more information on plants for medicine but one should be very cautious about using them. I would never use one without finding several sources to verify that information. Ethnographers have been guilty of "fluffing" information at times, not accusing the author here but you never know.
At any rate I would not recommend using these plants listed here without further research on the subject.
Better safe than sorry, it's kept me alive thus far.

top topics

join