It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JC Penney pulls 'I'm too pretty for homework' T-shirt

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
How interesting.

So who was under the impression that JC PENNY was some form of moral authority?

As another poster stated, it's freedom of speech and I've seen far worse kinds of graphic T's in various other retailers.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As American's have the right to freedom of speech (within reasonable lines, no shouting fire in a theatre for he hell of it). As an American one has every "right" to own and wear the t shirt in the op.

Why JC Penney is being chastised for exercising their right to freedom of speech is beyond me. Freedom of speech covers what you say and what you don't say. If JC Penney does not want to carry this shirt because they disagree with the message then so be it it is their right to do so. Why do people feel JC Penney should not have the right to decide what is and is not offered in their stores.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
As American's have the right to freedom of speech (within reasonable lines, no shouting fire in a theatre for he hell of it). As an American one has every "right" to own and wear the t shirt in the op.

Why JC Penney is being chastised for exercising their right to freedom of speech is beyond me. Freedom of speech covers what you say and what you don't say. If JC Penney does not want to carry this shirt because they disagree with the message then so be it it is their right to do so. Why do people feel JC Penney should not have the right to decide what is and is not offered in their stores.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

That would be a good point if they were exercising their right of free speech. More like they were exercising their right to cover their butts and appease their tormentors. The principles are markedly different....

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
That shirt is ridiculous. It should say "boyfriend" instead of "brother".

/TOA

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I disagree. They were not "covering their butts" they were responding to the comments of their customer base. They are a business and one of the surest ways to go out of business is to ignore what your customers say. JC Penney probably heard about the negative responses to the shirt so they decided in the interests of continuing business that they would exercise their right to pick and choose what they do and do not sell.

I really don't see how it can be seen any other way.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'd like to see "i'm too ugly to achieve anything worthwhile in life so i'm on social security" shirt.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Is there no end to this Politically Correct nonsense ? Talk about a runaway train of fascist illogic !

The t-shirt is intended as Humour. Whether individual people find it funny or not, is irrelevant.

I mean, who exactly is this offensive to ? Boys with fit sisters ?!

edit on 2-9-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by painterdude
Its a sexist statement on the t-shirt

How, exactly, is the statement remotely sexist ?

Originally posted by painterdude
an outrage to feminists everywhere.

At least you've found a positive to this story.

edit on 2-9-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I thought it was funny.
I just didn't like the long sleeves.
Tank top sure

I don't like derogatory shirts about the President (any President) but that's me. I'm not going to scream at the retailer and demand they remove it.
If I want my freedom of speech then I need to allow others to have it.

Like another poster said:
Vote with your wallets. Just don't buy it.
Retailers aren't stupid.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It doesn't flow very well honestly.
They could've said "I'm too pretty to do my homework,

..so my dog does it..

..so my computer does it...

..so my robot does it...

..so I ate it.."

Or the designers could have just left it at "I'm too pretty to do homework"

And I don't know too many brothers that are going to do their sisters homework. Haven't seen much of that type of behavior in my 25 years on this planet. Brothers usually can't stand their sisters.

The shirt is just dumb, and so are teenagers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join