It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JC Penney pulls 'I'm too pretty for homework' T-shirt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This sort of moron mob mentality is the result of our great social-engineering experiment.

Can you tell me why this is such a horrible thing? Do these idiots think that suppressing some innocuous piece of fluff really makes this a better world? It's one step removed from banning ideas and burning books, for god's sake.

"Worst tee ever," "too stupid for words," "gross" and "repugnant" were a few of the descriptions that flew around on Twitter when JC Penney started selling a T-shirt reading "I'm too pretty to do homework so my brother has to do it for me" on its online store. Read more: www.sfgate.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/97ec3b51f5b3.jpg[/atsimg]

I mean, speak with your wallets, people! If you don't like it, don't buy it. Maybe someone else does like it. Does it somehow improve society by having it removed from the shelves? Christ, what a bunch of morons....
edit on 9/1/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Its a sexist statement on the t-shirt and an outrage to feminists everywhere.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by painterdude

What? It's only sexist if you take it in that direction...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I just threw up in my mouth.

2nd

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
obviously they are trying to pull an hp touchpad strategy to get the market to buy the crap out of it

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by painterdude

Well, then, feminists have yet *another* problem, don't they?

ETA: Free speech is free speech is free speech. Even if you hate it. Perhaps in another hundred years the feminists will have re-educated us all and no longer have phantom battles to fight. Fortunately I'll be dead by then....
edit on 9/1/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
That shirt is not nearly half as bad as some of the other graphic t-shirts out there.
People can be so hypocritical.

S+F

edit on 1-9-2011 by NefariousKitten because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I need to get one of those shirts for one of my granddaughters.

She'd love to wear it. She does very well on her school work, but she loves to play the dumb blond thing.

edit on 1-9-2011 by kyred because: Edited cuz I hit the wrong button. And had to come back and finish. Maybe I can get my brother to do the hard things for me..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I need to get one of those shirts for one of my granddaughters.

Maybe you'll be able to find one. Surely they don't just destroy the entire line; maybe they donate them--or sell them in their outlet stores. Or maybe you can turn one up on eBay. They should be pretty popular right now....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I just find this funny. Because of it's ridiculousness. What a huge waist of time spent whining about some shirt they sell at J.C. Penny. The problem is not the words on the shirt, It's people who moan and cry about it and set them selfs up as the censorship guards. To protect the children, of course.
Like another poster said previously: Just don't buy it.

As a side note, this is a prefect example of why I don't have a twitter account. I'm not at all interested in knowing what someone had for breakfast, Or what some over-protective, spastic mommy has to say about some new T-shirt they seen while shopping online.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Inquisitive1 because: I made a typo. Whoops.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
We should force people to wear shirts like this more often.

How about one for the average American stating :

"I gave up my country, liberties, and soul for fast food, television and social justice."

or

*~*~*~*~FREEDOM~*~*~*~*~*~*
Would you like fries with that?

or

My country went to war for all the wrong reasons and all I got was a crushing debt
--------------------------------------AND THIS T-SHIRT----------------------------------------
(...and I'm OK with that because this T-Shirt ROCKS)
edit on 2011/9/1 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

Well said. I can't help but wonder what would happen if someday some retailer refused to cave. No doubt there would be huge arguments and endless debates (duly covered by the MSM, of course). Congresspeople, and possibly the President himself, would be required to weigh in by the reportorial pool. Neighborhood oafs would be interviewed on the street by eager local news reporters, and the late-night comics would have a few droll observations.

But, as they say, any publicity is good publicity....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Homework is ridiculous. Schoolwork belongs in school.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Sigh... Sad, but humorous--and all too true....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Sounds like a tactic to sell more shirts to me. Guess they figure if they say they are pulling this shirt then people will rush in to buy it. At which time they see so many other nice decently priced clothes and decide since their there already why not just do all their school clothes shopping now.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Geez already with the insta-outrage over everything and the control freaks.

Funny, when I saw this t-shirt, I took it as an ironic t-shirt/statement that serves many purposes:comedic effect. a tonque-and-cheek way of poking fun of the mentality like this that like it or not some do exhibit, and perhaps a reminder to not let this happen (in other words it's good that it might anger some). But then I don't get riled easily by the things people choose to put/wear on t-shirts.

Don't like it for whatever reason? Don't buy it. Easy. But also keep your nose out of it If someone else thinks it's real or funny or whatever, and let them sell and buy it. Feminists or anyone else who takes offense at something like this really need to get a life. If the thread they're hanging by is so frail....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Why not just "I’m stupid enough to hope to get by on “pretty”, or good looking, whatever”. Oh joy.“”Christ ANOTHER twit in the extreme I got to carry because they can’t so much as clean a toilet w/out a map...” Your right about this not being as disgusting as a lot of stupid crap people stick on a t-shirt. By the way, such mental yahoos who actually DO believe: "I don’t need to read or make change, (without the cash register doing it for me) etc, I’m good at looking cute, or I’ll use sports, I mean so I can’t read or write, SOMEONE will support my sorry lazy ass...” etc; is NOT just a “gal thing”. Trust me on this ladies...

PS; My spelling is not the best, but I know thats because I am often LAZY, but on the bright side, I can read, if not dreadfully worn out...

edit on 1/9/11 by arbiture because: Doing my best to KISS (I mean me being hit w/ the “stupids" not anyone else. Hey it’s late, and I “don’t do post midnight stuff well"

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Your loss, math is fun.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien
Your loss, math is fun.

If your comment was to me about math, (if not please forgive. My last post of the now very early AM), I find it the most effective tool to express what is to me the only way I can create art that inspires, and gives me the pleasure of seeing that “AAHA!” moment in a persons face. It provides insight in the “extreme non-linear”. It is one reason I have not given in to my ALS. Other reasons being I’m way to much a pain in the ass. So much to do, and so little time. Hey, I have ZERO artistic skills, save for pitiful attempts at (damn near criminally) bad poetry. Fun? For me it’s a way I can still do something constructive, and enjoy the all-to frequent silly moment’s of s**** and giggles.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by painterdude

LOL...for a brief second I thought you actually were one!

And it's a slap in the face to all the poor kids who slaved away in a third world sweatshop for 2 cents an hour!

This shirt is a crime against cotton and all of mother natures good fibres.

At least 10 yr olds making laughing stocks of themselves dulls my outrage somewhat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join