It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about the RPG

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hi,
Imagine you are a soldier carrying an RPG, are you a rocket soldier or grenedier, and RPG stands for Rocket Propelled Genade, can someone shed some light on that?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I believe you would be classified as RPG soldier or AT soldier. Grenadier's refer to the use of grenades that aren't rocket propelled and they would carry something like a m79 or a rotary grenade launcher.

hope that helps,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Most likely AT since that is the main purpose of RPGs.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It isn't a rocket,it is not a grenade. Like the PIAT or Panzerfaust,it is an anti-tank projector.It launches a projectile. The Carl Gustav is similar,but because it has a rifled bore,it is called a recoilles anti-tank gun.
RPG's with a max range of 700m are used for their effectiveness and psychological effect upon you Americans.
Anyone seen the homemade Katyusha "stovepipe" launchers the Iraqis are making? Need a car battery for electricity though.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
The RPG (RPG-7/7V/18/22/etc...) stands for "������ ��������������� ���������� - Ruchnoj Protivotankovyj Granatomet", Hand-held Anti-Tank Grenade Launcher in English, and the rockets/grenades that it fires are called PG-7/V/VL/VR ("��������������� ������� - Protivotankovaya Granata" Anti-Tank Grenade, in English), OG-7/V ("���������� ������� - Oskolochnaya Granata" Fragmentational Grenade in English), TBG-7 ("��������������� ������� - Termobaricheskaya Granata" Thermobaric Grenade in English), tec...
I don't really get it, why people just call it Rocket-Propelled Grenade...

Anyway, in our (Russian) Army the guy who carries RPG-7V is classified as a Grenadier ("������������� - Granatometchik"), same as the guy who carries the GP-25/30 (Underbarrel GL, similar to M203).. that might be because we don't really have a word AT soldier.
In the western (US) Army he will most likely be classified as an AT Soldier (AT Assault/Assaultman ?).

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
On MSN news,it describes "Fierce fighting in Najaf". On the cover picture is a US. soldier with a Belgian MAG GPMG. What is he doing with that? Unless it is a british soldier? The helmet seems to indicate this.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by stgeorge
On MSN news,it describes "Fierce fighting in Najaf". On the cover picture is a US. soldier with a Belgian MAG GPMG. What is he doing with that? Unless it is a british soldier? The helmet seems to indicate this.

most US infantry squads carry the M-249 as their light machine gun, which is a fabrique nationale weapon (like the MAG GPMG). they look similar. are you sure it wasnt an M-249 you saw?

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Well,look it up on the mSN mainpage kaji. In fact the soldier has leaf type camoflage on his helmet (in a building?) which I believe is British style.
The MG has the huge carrying handle sticking out and the prominent rivets on the side of the reciever.
I guess some media guy said "Any photo will do."

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The MG that you are refering to is most likely a '240 either B or G (a bit modifiyed version of FN Mag58/GPMG)

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paladin327
Hi,
Imagine you are a soldier carrying an RPG, are you a rocket soldier or grenedier, and RPG stands for Rocket Propelled Genade, can someone shed some light on that?

I think in the American press these people have been characterized as terrorists, so isn't this a moot point?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
They are characterized as isurgents in the American press not terrorist.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I am still wondering about that Iraqi with the improvised stovepipe laucher for I presume is a Katyusha rocket,wires trailing.
It would I guess be wildly innaccurate,maybe singeing the firer,but the explosive effect would be equal at least to a 120mm mortar?
How would it sit in the tube with its fins protruding?
"They use some of the original packing on the nose cone"
I see.Like a sabot.

[edit on 24-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hmmm.All quiet on this front.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The nastier ones are the batteries of RPG-7/13's that are being used in the middle east . Basically its just 5/10/15/20 RPGs that are rigged to fire together as a short range makeshift barrage weapon. Not very portable, but when mounted on Utes (pickup trucks) they are very effective. Apparantly they are a development of similar weapon setups used as far back as vietnam. Gods help the US occupation forces if the Iraq militias get hold of the new russian man portable rockets, they make a bradley look like its made of tissue paper and will turn a hummer into a toast rack in a few seconds.

top topics

join