It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Arrested American Claims To Have Been On Bin Laden's Tail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Jonathan Idema, a man on trial for the alleged torturing of Afghan terror suspects, claims that he was hot on the heels of Bin Laden before his July 5th arrest. Idema claimed to have official sanctions from the U.S. and Afghanistan to hunt down terrorists. Idema also claims that he would have had Bin Laden in his custody within 30 days had he not been arrested.

guardian.co.uk
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - An American on trial for allegedly torturing Afghan terror suspects in a private jail claimed Saturday in his first interview from custody that he was hot on the heels of Osama bin Laden and other militant leaders when he was arrested on July 5.

Jonathan Idema told The Associated Press he had official sanction from Afghans and Americans to hunt down terrorists and said he has been prevented from showing the evidence in court. Prosecutors say Idema was waging a private war, and he faces up to 20 years in a crumbling Afghan prison if convicted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Jonathan Idema, who served time in the 1980's for bilking $200,000 in goods from 60 companies, states that he went to Afghanistan because he believed the anti-terrorist efforts of the U.S. were failing. Idema also complains about not being able to speak freely to the press, and being beaten repeatedly by his jailers, all of the things the he allegedly did to Afghan terror suspects.

Idema claims that the FBI orchestrated his arrest to cover its own mistakes. He also allegedly led NATO peacekeepers on a raid which uncovered traces of explosives in two houses.

According to Idema, he gave the FBI the exact location of Bin Laden and they got there 5 days after Bin Laden had departed. It was confirmed later that Bin Laden had been at that address. The location and satellite phone number of Ayman al-Zawahri, the alleged al-Qaida No. 2, was also claimed to have been given to the FBI, but they failed to act again, according to Idema.

He claims that these are the reason he went to Afghanistan on his hunt. Idema is accused of torturing prisoners, along with 2 other American and 4 Afghans, and will resume trial on Monday.

Related News Links
cnews.canoe.ca

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
"served time in the 1980's for bilking $200,000 in goods from 60 companies" Yeah. Here is a guy we can believe.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
"served time in the 1980's for bilking $200,000 in goods from 60 companies" Yeah. Here is a guy we can believe.

...exactly the point of that little tidbit of info.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

Should we apply the same standards to Cheney's bilking of $35 million as top dog at Halliburton, or weighing the two crimes...maybe give the lesser criminal more weight in his testimony?

My take? There's something going on here. And it is always nice to have "the goods" on someone that can blow the lid off your counter-counter-terrorism efforts...i.e. stop the man about to get Osama. So the release of something bad about the guy is par for the course in my book.

I'd like to hear more.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Cheney is just well.... a waste of oxygen. As for this guy kinda hard to say. Was he really on Osama's tail or is he just one of these guys that likes to cook up wild stories when he gets in trouble to try and lessen the impact of what he did. If this stunt was pulled to keep him from capturing Osama then would say those who ordered him to be arrested should be charged with providing support to terrorists and harboring a fugitive. Thats not even considering being labled a traitor.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If you ask me the situation stinks to high heaven. As we are supposed to believe it, one day the good Afghani police just happened to find this guy who'd been there for months running his own counter-terrorism operation and torturing poor defenseless Afghanis for fun. Meanwhile we haven't found bin Laden in years and bin Laden is over six feet tall and requires kidney dialysis. bin Laden went from Public Enemy #1 to someone the US President doesn't really care about. Weird stuff going on in spookland.

Odd

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Every war needs its Rambo, I suppose.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I do find it hard to believe that with a $25mil reward on his head that no one has turned him in. I guarantee you a bunch of people know where he is.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Found this, but I am not sure how reliable they. You know if your caught your on your own

TUT
www.centcom.mil...

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen
www.centcom.mil...

Standard military denial.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Maybe this low level operative got too close and they reined him in? I heard or read somewhere that he had in fact had contact with Rumsfeld.

I doubt he was over there enacting a version of "Kurtz" in Appocalypse Now. That's just the cover story.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Actually, no there's nothing rotten. And I find it unfortunate that this is the first real coverage ATSNN has given this situation. These were a bunch of GI-Joes over there carrying out their own vigilante justice and MI-style investigation. They did bad things. I've been reading the reports on these guys since BEFORE they got in trouble.

They need to take their punishment and hope the Pakistani's don't take their heads for the things they've done.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I have to say that I agree with taibunsuu and Gools. There's no way that a few Americans (one of whom had a signifigant criminal act in his past) could have gotten into Afghanistan and run an operation like that without the CIA's knowledge and most likely their approval. The whole thing smells bad to me too. If our intelligence was really that poor then we would have already been hit with dozens of nuclear and biological terrorist attacks, and I don't think that 9/11 proves otherwise if you know what I mean. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bin Laden audio tapes were faked and Bin Laden himself was actually dead and buried in a trench or cave somewhere. That would make it easier for him to be used as a "snipe" of sorts. It's probably a long shot but it wouldn't surprise me. Can't trust any of those S.O.B.s

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
bin Laden died pre 9/11 ..... Why do you think they used him as the scapegoat?
Because dead men can't deny a thing .....

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think the US know where he is but isn't going to bring in just yet.
They know that bin laden out there, gives them heap of power to change the world into a NEW POWER. If they capture him now, they lose the chance. So in order words bin laden is the most guard man protected by the biggestsuper power. You never know, but sometimes things are not what they seem.

Look what has benfited. More restricted society, more big brother, an american army on two arab nations. Now the threat to take IRAN and SYRIA. Basically bin laden is giving the US on sliver plater the middle east.

It's a chess game.

One may think he is fighting the enemy but it's just really serving it. Without knowing it.

top topics

join