It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Silence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Ok, we all konw that the media is silent on certain topics and loud on other. Thats been konwn for a long time, especially here on ATS. However, its goes on at some very low levels over very small things.

A few days ago, my friend start a college course on media studies. She was asked to make a magazine, do some interviews and such, basic intro into journalism. So her group, who were all young men about 18, wrote down a list of ideas. They were your typical type of young people stuff: cars, video game, pop music ect. She being a little older asked me for something a little more serious, a little more adult.

ok, no problem i thought. At the time we were both watching the news, and i suddenly had the idea, why not go wityh a discussion on the Marxist view of the MSM? she liked my idea, i wrote down a few ideas, just 3 or 4 line worth and asked her to show her teacher.

well the next day she phoned me and said she was told, that the college did not think this was a good area for discussion, that it was too contraversial and just to stick with what the others had suggested. Basically she was told under no circumstance to mention this in her mag and to stay well clear of the idea.

but the teacher herself was not the one that disaproved, it was the colleges policy apparently?

even at such a low level it just shows how media is silenced and journalists are told what they can and cannot cover. It opened her eyes to what i had been saying for a long time

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Lets hope this makes her even more determined. Unfortunately too many people prefer to take the easy path rather than the right path.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Lol, *Slaps hand* NO TRUTH FOR U! >:O

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

You go to college to learn.....not to think!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
one of the weirdest things about this whole situation is, i learned about marxism in the media at another college. the teacher there, even though he was clearly very middle class, held a strong belief in the marxist view on almost everything, and would go into great detail and speak for a length about marxism, its was clear he believed in it. He was telling us stuff the books were not

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

This has nothing to do with the media.. /facepalm..

The college have cirriculum they follow to achieve an acceptable standard of education for students, hence they do not lose credibility or reputation of their certificates of education. Most colleges do not allow outside the box thinking for one reason, opinionated pieces that are conflicting take too much time and effort. The education system is a machine now and straight forward programming.

It has nothing to do with hush hush, just this paticular college is trying to get money, push people through by maintaining minimum standards requirements.

Good example of this? CLEP testing, you dont pick your topics, they are picked for you. Your ability to wing it shows your intelligence more than your ability to gather information and argue a point.

This started in the 60's (got to love hippi's) and they now own the education system unfortunately.

As one stated above, your there to learn not question or teach

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Eavel

its true though, there to learn not to think. Gona keep that one and use it at uni

just thought it was a rather strange thing to say to someone they weren't allowed to do any off topic journalism, even in 1st year college. She said when she has her own mag to make and doesn't do a group one she will use it regardless. Might be fun to see their reaction, either that they will fail her

join