It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check This List Of Fruit & Veg To Avoid (If its not Organic)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

You could be right about who's publishing it but i'm sure it does say that these pesticides are very bad for you even if you wash the veg/fruit... or did you not see that part?

They lurch on the skin and sink into the flesh of the fruit/veg.... i guess its similar to what we spray onto our bodies!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

and then add how long these pesticides have been sprayed for and the fact that these poisons accumulate in our soils and rivers and slowly but surely our worlds entire eco system is polluted ...

peace

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

And again - how do you account for the fact that we are living longer, healthier lives than any generation before us?

As for the accumulation of pesticides - do you not know that modern pesticides have a half-life in most cases of less than 24 hours? That means that every 24 hours, there is half as much pesticide concentration then there was in the previous 24 hours. Do you think that these chemicals are inert and do not change with time and chemically react with other chemicals natural to the environment? Or in your mind is this a special molecule that is incapable of bio-degrading or chemical reactions.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Not if you freeze your foods they dont!!!!

They live on for as long as your food is frozen.... it even says that on the link provided....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Please provide references that pesticides live forever if frozen from a source that is NOT trying to sell me organic vegetables and scare me to death. BTW - temperature changes are one of the drivers of chemical reactions.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You know what? This is getting absolutely frigging ridiculous!

The original post was an artical about the 10 'most polluted" fruits and veggies. I pointed out that "most" is a relative term and that the author had failed to provide any indication of concentration in order that people might evaluate for themselves what "most" meant. Without this crucial piece of information, the artical is nothing but a propaganda piece pushing the sale of premium priced organic foods, using obvious scare tactics.

Right away - the responses ranged from concerns for environmental pollution (not talked about in the original artical) and now frozen foods (if the pesticide residue is in parts per quadrillion when the vegetable is picked, it will still be in parts per quadrillion when frozen)

I say "go-ahead you fools - allow yourself to be frightened into paying premium prices for the very same fruits and vegetables freely available at lower prices" "live in fear of getting cancer from "all those chemicals" "stay awake nights worrying about pollution and donate your money to the greens. Never look at the reality that you are living longer, healthier lives than any previous generation of man, never look at the gains in environmental management (increased forests, great lakes coming back to life, air pollution down so low that you can't see the yellow smudge over most cities anymore)

Have a ball! Anybody too stupid to think it thru, deserves what they get!

"Never give a sucker an even break" P.T. Barnum

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I see you took a heaping side of unmitigated anger with your pesticide. Does that taste anything like hot sauce with kippers?

Warning: Pesticides may make you call entire groups of people "fools" for discussing concerns about toxic or untested chemicals being sprayed on their food.

Wow dude.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

You are quite mistaken. It is one thing to be concerned about the use of pesticides in the food we eat. That is a very legitimate concern.

It is quite another to fail to ask the question "at what concentration" and when someone does - bring up every extraneous argument you can think of but refuse to acknowledge that without that crucial bit of information - the original artical is propaganda!

If you are too stupid to think - even when you are shown the way - then no one can help you!

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

As I suspected....this study conducted by the university of north carolina, consisting of the testing of 43,000 samples of vegetables and fruit, found that under no circumstances did the concentration of pesticide residue exceed safe consumption levels.

I am not going to bother looking but I would suspect that you will find that the fruits and vegetables that are "most polluted" but still safe to eat that are listed in the original posts artical, will be among those listed in the study.

www.foodsafetysite.com...

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ok, now you have me confused.....it's bad, it's ok,.....

I say apples and peaches are good, especially in pies with ice cream on top.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
You say to avoid these unless they are organic. Are you aware that the organic pesticides are more injurious to the human body than the chemical ones?

Organic Food Dangers

Organic foods make up 1% of the food supply but are responsible for 8% of the ecoli deaths in the world.

Your source doesn't even talk about organic pesticides, and on top of that it's 13 years old. Deaths from e. coil are low to begin with. A vast majority are old and/or have weak immune systems.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I'm afraid there is no list whatsoever in that link you provided.... it just talks about who such pesticide use is monitored!

Anyhow, you go ahead and eat without thinking about what pesticides are lying in wait......

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Just a few random thoughts... you say that the concentrations are within safe limits..or that they do not express the concentrations, well... who sets these levels for safety of concentration in our food? If I am correct in the US is it not the FDA? Well now... who is the largest manufacturer and distributor in the US and perhaps the world? Hmmm could that be Monsanto? Well now one last thing to ponder... Who was it that was just appointed as senior adviser to the FDA? Could it have been the Vice president of Monsanto, the very company who makes these pesticides? So now excuse me, but is that not like putting the fox in charge of the hen house?

IMO I would rather pay more and eat organic and know that I am not ingesting evil M's pesticides or GMO 'Frank'en Food' that's just me

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IslandGirl

IslandGirl

Oh my god - what a cage of fear you live in! It must get awful cramped in there?

Can you explain, why, despite this conspiracy to feed us all pesticides, we are living longer and healthier lives than any generation before us? Or why, in this age of people living to 100, you so fear dying?

Do you not understand that fear is far more toxic to your life than pesticides?

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Just to put this fear of pesticide residues in perspective

www.safefruitsandveggies.com...

A child would have to eat 154 servings of apple in one day without experiencing any effect, even if that apple had the highest pesticide residue concentration of any sample ever recorded in the US.

And apples are the worst fruit according to the original posting.

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

and another perspective

www.acsh.org...

While you all are scared to death of a few molecules of pesticides - this is what you are eating of naturally occurring pesticides and chemicals.

And yet somehow....the human race survives!

Doesn't anybody ever get tired of scaring themselves to death?

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks

IslandGirl

Oh my god - what a cage of fear you live in! It must get awful cramped in there?

Can you explain, why, despite this conspiracy to feed us all pesticides, we are living longer and healthier lives than any generation before us? Or why, in this age of people living to 100, you so fear dying?

Do you not understand that fear is far more toxic to your life than pesticides?

Tired of Control Freaks.

Can you explain why it is we are seeing epidemic proportion rises in Autism, ADD and ADHD in our children? How is it that we in Western society are receiving better prenatal care and pediatric care for our children then ever before yet Autism ADD, and ADHD rates are soaring? Did you ever stop to think it is environmentally? How it is that a study done by (quoted from The ADD Answer, section on detoxifying diet) "the Environmental Working Group, using analysis complied using USDA and FDA pesticide data from 1992 to 1997, there are significant health risks associated with foods that are contaminated. The following table illustrates their findings:

Most Contaminated Foods
Rank Food
1 Apples
2 Spinach
3 Peaches
4 Pears
5 Strawberries
6 Grapes (from Chile)
7 Potatoes
8 Red Raspberries
9 Celery
10 Green Beans

So, a cage of fear, no. Instead, try educated consumer. Know what you are being fed and what you are consuming. Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss. I prefer empowerment. Why are we all living longer? Is it the pharmaceutics available to us, better medical care, perhaps. Do I fear death? Yes and no, when it is my time, it is my time plain and simple. I will not be a slave to pills however and I will not allow myself to be slowly poisoned by my food.
My being proactive and wishing to eat a healthier cleaner diet for my family and self, does not equal living in fear.

BTW- Love your info on canning but we will have to agree to disagree on this

edit on 30-9-2011 by IslandGirl because: addition

Check out these-
www.ewg.org...

www.huffingtonpost.com...&title=Celery_WORST

edit on 30-9-2011 by IslandGirl because: added links to other more recent articles

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Island Girl

The answer to your question may be simpler than you can imagine!

Rising rates of autism and ADD would imply a shift in the way human beings develop or could it be simply that there is a very large, very profitable heath care system in place that is absolutely determined to medicalize the human condition in some form or another.

Your boy just a little too "physical" and having a little trouble focusing at school - must be ADD - bring on the Ritaline! Your girl a little too shy and doesn't make friends easily - must be autism - bring on the expensive therapy.

Or how about teaching discipline to your son and providing opportunities for physical expression outside of school - NAH - too difficult! Bring on the big pharma solution.

How about letting your daughter be? Instead of insisting that she needs to be on the cheerleading squad and one of the "popular" kids in order to fulfill your dreams of how you wanted your life to be - NAH - too disappointing. Bring on the big Pharma solution!

Like big Pharma medications are far less toxic than a few molecules of pesticides.

(My apology to those whose kids are truly in need of medical care - I know you are out there and on your own and you will feel like my comments are being unfairly applied to your parenting skills. They are not! I know autism and ADD truly exist but the way rates are rising and the way in which these disorders are being diagnosed is way out of hand.

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Islandgirl

having reviewed all your links - please be advised that most of the links you provide, simply repeat the information provided in the original post (identifies MOST contaminated foods without identifying concentration.

However the last link you provide does provide the sample results from all of the thousands of samples taken in a PDF format

www.ams.usda.gov...

If you will review this file - you will find that of the thousands of samples taken - only 0.3 % of the samples exceed EPA established tolerance levels and only 2.7 % of the samples identified pesticides for which no tolerance level has been established (not to say that these are unsafe because the levels identified are too freaking low to do anything to anyone).

Quit living in fear!
TIRED of CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Organic labels do not mean true organic foods.

true organic foods are grown in natural soil/soil mediums, with only compost and naturally generated fertilizers.
Commercial farms cannot "make enough organic fertilizers to grow a substantial crop and make a profit on a large scale.

They use commercially available nutrients and fertilizers that are sold off the shelf.
The problem is, Organic fertilizers will ROT on the shelf.
To solve that problem, inorganic preservatrives are added.

If Farmers buy fertilizer, it is NOT organic.
If food is grown in mass quantities, it is NOT organic.

"Organically Grown" labels are a lie.

If you don't know the grower, it's probably NOT organic.

Don't drink the Kool-aid folks.
Do research.

<< 1    3 >>

join