It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Wonders: The World’s Smallest Monkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Source

Indigenous to the rainforest canopies of western Brazil, southeastern Colombia, eastern Ecuador, eastern Peru, and northern Bolivia, the world’s smallest monkey goes by the name of Pygmy Marmoset, which translates from the French word meaning shrimp or dwarf. One of the smallest primates in the world, these creatures range in size from 5 to 6 inches, not including the tail which by itself is longer than the monkey, stretching for an amazing 6-8 inches.

The smallest true monkey goes by several nicknames. Some include: mono de bolsillo (pocket monkey), and leoncito (little lion). Their life span varies, as animals in the wlld live 11to12 years but in zoos, they often survive into their early twenties.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9e8f8cd74b12.jpg[/atsimg]

Had to share this with all of you because it is absolutely amazing, and it is good to take a break from the doom and gloom that seems to enshroud this site sometimes.

Anyways, this is an amazing animal and it would be interesting to be living in a place where these things roam out in the wild. It is amazing how evolution can completely change something of a similar species, into such a diverse group.

I just thought I would bring some upbeat news here as it seems to be few and far between nowadays.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 31-8-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I WANT ONE!!!! I am afraid my Conure will eat it however. Sell me one of these monkeys please.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
That's close to that alien animal that was in Flight of the Navigator. Remember?

I want one too....

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

yeah i bet they are cute until you see them spanking it and throwing their little monkey poo

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I want one! Soo awesome! There's also tiny monkeys found a few years ago at Madagascar by Stony Brook college, which may be smaller than these guys.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
So cute! but what if you stepped on it?

I think in theory I'd like to hold one - but when they cling on to your finger, it'd be like when a beetle gets stuck on there, and you shake your hand like mad until they go flying off. Poor little guys!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by predator0187

yeah i bet they are cute until you see them spanking it and throwing their little monkey poo

Have to wonder how little that monkey poo would actually be

Can't be much at all!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Looks like the creatures in the locker from men in black 2

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Id love to own one of those pocket monkeys there so cute ! There probley easy to take care of and im sure don't eat much ..There just an awesome little creature
S&F peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It would be awesome to own one, but damn if it wanted to hide it would be hard to find. You could probably have a bunch in your house and not even know they can hide so well.

They would be quite the pet though, they are part of the primate family so you would imagine they would be smart. It would be cool to take them out with younand walk around.

Pred...

top topics

join