It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Confirmed Eris in our Solar system (video) (Not Nibiru)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Not sure what to make of this, it seems unlikely that they would let something this big slip. I'm wondering what they're actually referring to here, 'an ice planet bigger than Pluto on the outer reaches of our solar system'. I'm not a big Nibiru guy or anything but could this be it? If anyone has something to offer in regards to this that would be great. With all of the Elenin/Nibiru stuff it would be good to clear this up, I thought Nibiru was supposed to be a red planet anyway....
edit on 30-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There are probably a lot of ice planets and gas giants in the outer reaches of our solar system. Nothing to do whatsoever with all this Nibiru nonsense.

Could you please take 'confirmed' out of your title? Nothing has been confirmed at all.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well Nibiru isn't supposed to be an ice-planet anyways, so it's not Nibiru because it does NOT exist...

BBC has no idea what they're talking about.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Did you think to search for "2003 ub313"?

It's Eris, a dwarf planet...

edit on 30/8/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

New planet

The planet is smaller than Pluto so I doubt this is niburu. But it's a cool find anyways.

Pred...

link   
what now, more fear mongering. let me guess, it is headed towards us. RIGHT. come on.

link   
Sorry. Eris is not Nibiru
en.wikipedia.org...

link   

Interesting video, I especially liked the end, but BBC confirmed Nibiru you say? I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Cheers Wickus, daft as it may seem, I actually didn't.....Cheers for posting that, I must be a bit slow this morning....

reply to post by Swills

Yeah obviously not, it was the title of the video so I ran with it, feel a little silly for it now.....
[

reply to post by cloaked4u

Well not really, just an inquiry into a video I found. I don't believe most of the stuff surrounding Nibiru personally, and I'm actually pretty anti doom, so yeah, not really fear mongering.....

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I didn't even need to finish watching the video. As soon as they mentioned Mike Brown and January 2005 it was obvious they were talking about Eris. Eris is the ninth largest body to orbit the Sun, meaning it's larger than Pluto. It's also the reason why Pluto is a dwarf planet as once Eris was discovered the new classification was created. At its farthest point it is 97.56 AU from the Sun and takes 557 years to make one orbit.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for the prompt responses, I'm a little out of my depth with a lot of things concerning planets and space.....So cheers!

Thread title changed.....

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

No worries, one has to wonder why the person who uploaded it to youtube didn't do their due diligence...

Damn hoaxers must think most people are fools.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Eris was discovered a while back...this is old news.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I really question any kind of BBC news these days and this is a good example of how they report/sensationalize.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It is a bit disingenuous to call Eris, Niburu don't you think. It seems that the Niburu crowd are so desperate you will call anything at all Niburu.

I think you will find threads here about Eris if you look.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
They're referring to Eris, a *dwarf planet*, not a *brown dwarf* (sun). It's about a quarter the mass of Earth; it's slightly larger than pluto, as I recall. Like Pluto, it still not big enough, apparently, to classify as a planet....

Edit: Dammit! I did a refresh and there were no responses. I figured nobody was interested enough, so I thought I'd reply. As soon as I submit my response - BAM! - 30 damn replies show up. Well, anyway, my intentions were good....
edit on 8/30/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Eris is roughly one quarter the mass of the MOON. It is about 1/350 the mass of Earth.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

You should have read the thread a bit more, you will also notice the title of the thread says 'not nibiru'. Also I am not part of 'nibiru crowd' and would appreciate it if you would refrain from pigeonholing me where it does not apply.

Whoever made the video is obviously from that crowd and confused the two, I was just a little silly and posted in haste, then promptly changed the thread title to clear up the mistake. I actually never read anything about this topic and don't put much stock into it personally, I was just shocked viewing the video in the nibiru context the author placed it in....
edit on 31-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
We've known about Eris for a while..
Poor Pluto lost it's status over the new discoveries.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
We've known about Eris for a while..
Poor Pluto lost it's status over the new discoveries.

Correct.

It was the discovery of Eris that directly led to the creation of the classification "Dwarf Planet", and the demotion of Pluto to that new category of heavenly bodies.

Someone above said Eris is smaller than Pluto, but it is actually larger than Pluto -- and Eris has its own Moon. When Eris was discovered, it was almost considered to be the 10th planet -- at least some thought there was a good argument for it being considered a planet. The simplified version of the argument was that if it was bigger than Pluto, and Pluto was a planet, then Eris perhaps should be a planet, also.

However, instead of calling Eris the 10th planet, the International Astronomical Union decided to create that new category called Dwarf Planets, and put BOTH Pluto and Eris in that category -- a category that (as of this writing) also includes Ceres, Orcus, Haumea, Quaoar, Makemake, 2007 OR10, and Sedna.

So now there are eight known planets and nine known dwarf planets (but there are probably more undiscovered dwarf planets). Who knows -- there may be another planet-sized body out there beyond Eris, such as "Tyche", which is hypothesized to exist, although only through very indirect evidence.

edit on 8/31/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join