It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summer Squash Quiche

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Another simple, seasonal recipe for this wonderful summer season we're having in the northeast. If you make the crust the day before, this recipe only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. Enjoy!
P.S. Yes, real men DO eat quiche.

Crust:
1.5 cups AP flour
1 tsp iodized salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter; cut into cubes, chilled
4 tbsp vegetable shortening; cut into cubes, chilled
approx. 4-5 tbsp ice water

Process:
Place the flour and salt in a food processor and mix together with on/off pulses. Add the chilled butter and shortening and process until the chunks of butter and shortnening are a little bigger than "pea-size". Add the ice water 1 tbsp at a time until moist clumps begin to form. The butter and shortening should be pea-sized by the end of the process. Take the dough out of the processor and form into a loose ball, trying not to overwork it, and refrigerate for an hour.

Quiche filling:
1 medium sized yellow squash, garden fresh
1 clove of garlic
4 green onions
4 eggs
1 cup milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
2 oz provolone cheese

Cut the squash into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes, begin to sautee in a small pan with a little bit of vegetable oil. Mince the garlic and add to the pan, saute just until the squash starts to soften. Cut the green onions into very thin discs up until it becomes leafy, save the leaves to flavor stock or soup in the future. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the milk, whisk together, add the ingredients in the saute pan straight into the egg and milk mixture (scrape the pan into the bowl, get all the flavor you can. Since you should have used very little oil, the oil content shouldn't upset the filling) Add the green onions, add the provolone (grated or chopped into small pieces) mix all the ingredients together.

Roll out the dough and prebake the crust at 350 until it just starts to brown. Let cool for a minute and add the mixture, place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the filling stiffens and is cooked through. Let stand for a couple minutes after it leaves the oven, cut into it and enjoy the deliciousness!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I read summer Sasquatch Quiche, woo too much time spent here.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ha, I understand. ATS can suck your life away.

But, unfortunately, my sasquatch trees didn't bloom this year

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sleepypoet

Good Post OP.

Glad to see another Gourmet amongst us here on ATS.

Your Recipe is duly noted...and archived in my copy of "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" cookbook.

I have been into the fresh vegetables available during the summer as well.
It's amazing the difference between farm fresh and what the supermarkets consider fresh !!

I haven't delved into quiche making just yet....it's the crisco in the crust that deters me at the moment....but I have been making an awesome Ratatouille using all grilled veggies which is simply outstanding and simple.

The light coating of olive oil and garlic, lightly grilled brings out the natural sweetness of the Summer Squash,Zucchini, Red and Green Bell Peppers, Eggplant and Onions...with a tad of smokiness.

Served over angel hair pasta....accompanied by a nice light Zinfandel ....perfect for warmer weather.

Bon Appetit !

.Live every day to the fullest !!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
AWESOME!

My wife and I signed up for a "box a week" program from one of the local organic farms here and we've been scratching our heads wondering what to do with summer squash as neither of us really eat squash that much. I'm going to try this for sure.

I'd probably toss my stuffed peppers on there as a side:

1 large hollowed fresh bell pepper (preferably green with all seeds and seams removed leaving a nice hole)
1 clove of fresh garlic or a few garlic scapes.
1 twig of fresh rosemary, chopped lightly (just the leaves)
1 twig of fresh Thyme (just the leaves)
1 fresh onion (preferably not a sweet onion)
Cracked black peppercorns
Rock sea salt

i basically chop all the ingredients up and mix the spices in, then the fun part... (I prefer unsalted butter)

Then you lightly brush the inside of the pepper with olive oil, also lightly brushing the outside of the pepper. Now cram all that goodness in the center of the green pepper until it's about half full, then take a small sube of butter (maybe half a teaspoon? I just eye it) and place it inside, then cover it up as you finish stuffing the pepper.

If you are grillling, just toss it on the grill until the green pepper starts to get a little soft, then carefully move it to the top rack until the onions are soft enough for you.

If you are doing it in an oven a little cheese on top is wonderful.

When i plate it I usually slice it into quarters and let them fall naturally so the onions and such come flowing out. Always a crowd pleaser

edit on 30-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Yes, I do love a good ratatouille. I think a lot of people have misconceptions of "gourmet" or "high-end" food and may feel intimidated by it. But, truthfully, the pretentious crap people shy away from is not high-end culinary, it's more of a confusion in the chef, or the home cook. Not sure what to put on the plate, so they'll put 20 ingredients in a single dish.

Good, gourmet food is using seasonal, fresh ingredients and simply highlighting them. Let food be itself. No restaurants win awards for being pretentious, ring-molded construction sites on a plate. Restaurants win awards, and home cooks become home chefs , when you put forth the knowledge of what the earth can give you and prepare it simply and beautifully, that's when you've connected with mother nature and the culinary arts.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I would use that recipe with a red bell pepper. Green bell peppers to me overpower EVERYTHING. I'll post my stuffed pepper recipe.

I appreciate your appreciation for my recipe! I tend to a fairly large garden at my own home and I try my hardest to utilize everything I yield.

top topics

join