It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the speed of light a constant? Because it's measuring time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I would first of all like to say I'm not a physicist or even a scientist for that matter but I have always been intrigued with the universe and how to explain how it works. I have a theory I would love for intellectuals and scientifically qualified individuals to critique as I feel a great Idea is being missed.

First I would like everyone to ask themselves if they believe time is stagnant or has a flow. I have always felt time is not stagnant and therefore has a flow with a certain movement associated with it. As the galaxy spins it produces the spin of all our solar systems and all our planets.

Time is like a wind that we move through, it flows through us created by the massive rotation at the center of our galaxy. Sort of like sticking your hand out of a moving car, the wind represents time. The time then flows around our sun and then around our 9 planets. If the sun was not placed in front of us where it currently sits disrupting the flow of time as it does, we would have a much higher speed of time. This is because the speed of light we witness is actually measuring the speed of time in my opinion. The speed of light itself is limited by the speed of time and is the primary reason you would get the same reading measuring light as you would for time. As well as the reason light is limited to a constant number. We have already proven light can be slowed, and I predict time itself, is slowed by our sun.

Think of a watch with different sprockets where the small sprocket in the middle is like the black hole at the center of our galaxy, traveling the fastest and driving all the other sprockets(solar systems). Our sprocket(solar system), depending on size would have a unique speed then say a smaller sprocket. Time works with circular orbital motions, all being influenced by this surrounding wind of time.

So the question arises, if you left the solar system away from the sun would the flow be moving faster as a sun does not block this flow of time? Could you travel to a solar system with a smaller sun and perhaps find a wormhole as time itself may differ in speeds? For example if you went to a solar system where time was moving faster and then traveled back to earth wouldn't you have gone years into the future? Or if you went to a solar system where time moved slower vice versa?
edit on 29-8-2011 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

i think U will find "time" is an invention of humans...

in the universe there is only mass/ energy,
all at its own various frequency / wavelength...

the concept of time is something we came up with as a measuring device...

IMHO

seeya

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Time doesn't have a force until you apply movement within it. Then you have a force. Like sticking your hand out fo a car you feel nothing until you begin moving!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
Time doesn't have a force until you apply movement within it. Then you have a force. Like sticking your hand out fo a car you feel nothing until you begin moving!

He talked about that, the galaxy and solar system are moving as well as the earth. Lets say your theory is right, what about other galaxy's witch do not spin like the milky way. I am sure you have heard of the PHI sequence, I wonder if that only apply's to our galaxy, or galaxy's witch are spinning at the same speed as ours. The 1.6, 1.0 ratio (golden ratio,PHI) could be a key to under standing time. You all so have to remember that in the center of our galaxy is a black hole. So is our galaxy just a black hole with matter getting sucked into it. The closer we get the black hole the faster or slower time is? If time is based off our galaxy spinning then what else could slow it down or speed it up on the out side of perspective of our galaxy in deep space.
edit on 30-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
At the level of unraveling fundamental forces and concepts of the universe, 'science' becomes a course in philosophy, more than anything. It's really quite interesting.

Anyway - you can really trace everything down to what is known as a Planck standard unit. en.wikipedia.org...

All systems of measurement feature base units: in the International System of Units (SI), for example, the base unit of length is the meter. In the system of Planck units, the Planck base unit of length is known simply as the Planck length, the base unit of time is the Planck time, and so on. These units are derived from the five dimensional universal physical constants of Table 1, in such a manner that these constants are eliminated from fundamental equations of physical law when physical quantities are expressed in terms of Planck units.

A speed of 1 Planck length per Planck time is the speed of light in a vacuum, the maximum possible speed in special relativity;[16]

Smaller than this, and things start to take on a philosophical approach. Hell, even when dealing with the comparatively enormous atom and its dynamics, the argument is often made regarding the existence of 'virtual' particles. Do they exist? Are they simply a mathematical convenience? It's really difficult to say (although the same debate existed around that of the atom back in the days when atomic theory was leading to advances in steam-driven technology).

Anyway. Suffice to say that the Planck Time offers some interesting possibilities. It is the smallest unit of time that we can resolve from our universe. Is there really time between T1 and T1+1(Plank Time)? Or do things simply 'shift' into position like a series of freeze-frames?

Perhaps getting even more wild and crazy, what's to say our universe doesn't completely devolve into a chaos of quantum foam for billions of years before finally 'matching' a state possible from our previous known state? Sort of like having random noise printed on pages before you, and only picking out the ones that seem to paint a contiguous story?

Or is something else, entirely going on?

In this manner, relativity and quantum mechanics need to be reconciled. Obviously - if the 'tic' of Planck-Time is disrupted by a gravitational field, it has severe implications, particularly when dealing with event-horizons or simply dense gravitational fields (though this could be a source of rotational frame-dragging - I am merely shooting from the hip, here - I'm not formally educated in the matter or disciplined in the math behind the field).

It's a case of "the more you learn, the more you don't know."

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
TIME is relative to each persons state of mind hence when I go to sleep 40 minutes feels like 5 minutes in conscious time. Also when we are in a euphoric romantic love state, there never seems to be enough time to be with that significant other partner. Doing a crappy dead end job and time seems to stand still, Time is in the mind of the beholder. Hence time in part is psychological.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Time relates to human / earth thinking. We're hard wired.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

I find that most humans have not even a small inkling of our place in the universe.

I remember a co-worker when discussing the Mars rovers that were wandering around that planet asking me, in all seriousness, what time it was on Mars!

After walking away so he didn't see me laughing,I came back and told him,it was the same time there as it was here on Earth!

Only thing I could think of to satisfy him,because spending the rest of the day trying even to begin to explain it to him was not what I wanted to do the rest of the day.

Time,distance are all human constructs nobody really knows because we're all trying to figure it out, standing here on this rock looking out through the atmosphere.

edit on 30-8-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
If you think that's strange OP, think about time dilation and compression through different mediums of space. Imagine if outside our galaxy was something called "Dark Matter", and light took twice as long to travel through it, would time go half as fast or would the object be twice as far away? How could you be sure of either?

Enjoy thinking about that for the next week.

When you're done, try this hat on for size.

What if time Dilation / Compression through altered maximum light speeds meant that the galaxies that are billions of light years away are actually right in front of you, inside you, all around you, and a part of you at the same time based on how you choose to percieve it?

Of course, we can't forget that all images are created by your mind's eye, and not a truthful and factual representation of anything that goes on outside your body. If you don't even know where point A and B are in the universe, or if there is a universe at all, how do you measure distance and time?

What if we never left the big bang, except in our mind's eye?

Yeah, I know, mind = blown.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
If you think that's strange OP, think about time dilation and compression through different mediums of space. Imagine if outside our galaxy was something called "Dark Matter", and light took twice as long to travel through it, would time go half as fast or would the object be twice as far away? How could you be sure of either?

Enjoy thinking about that for the next week.

This seems obvious to me I don't know why. Time dilation is the result of time flowing from a singular point into a greater expanse. Sort of like being in a hallway with windows at each end. If the wind was blowing outside and you opened window (a) allowing wind to blow through the hallway to window (b) you would experience something similar to time dilation. The closer you are to window (a) the source, the faster time will feel because you are feeling more wind from outside. The outside influence is decreased with distance away from the source hence time slows down and you experience time dilation. The reason is the greater expanse of the hallway is larger then the hole of the window so time flows in fast and then disperses inside the larger medium so like looking out into the great expanse of space it appears to slow down to our observations because we are closer to window (a), the source of time.

I hope that made some sense..

When you're done, try this hat on for size.

What if time Dilation / Compression through altered maximum light speeds meant that the galaxies that are billions of light years away are actually right in front of you, inside you, all around you, and a part of you at the same time based on how you choose to percieve it?

Indeed possible according to the way I view the model of time applied to our universe. It appears far away but indeed it's right next to us. I have always thought all of the suns we see in our galaxy could be actually our own sun at different stages of evolutionary time repeating. And the same for Galaxies.

Of course, we can't forget that all images are created by your mind's eye, and not a truthful and factual representation of anything that goes on outside your body. If you don't even know where point A and B are in the universe, or if there is a universe at all, how do you measure distance and time?

If you can calculate the speed of time then you can calculate distance in space.

What if we never left the big bang, except in our mind's eye?

Also very possible. Love your ideas!!

Yeah, I know, mind = blown.

It takes a lot to blow my mind

Originally posted by Epsillion70
TIME is relative to each persons state of mind hence when I go to sleep 40 minutes feels like 5 minutes in conscious time. Also when we are in a euphoric romantic love state, there never seems to be enough time to be with that significant other partner. Doing a crappy dead end job and time seems to stand still, Time is in the mind of the beholder. Hence time in part is psychological.

That's because just as each galaxy has a different speed related to time, each solar system and each planet has a different speed related to time, so does the human mind.
edit on 30-8-2011 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join