It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard Trucks Driving Under Water

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
They have been doing this for many years, as early as the 60s if I remember correctly. My uncle sells military Deuce's that can do this all day long. We didn't believe it at first so we tried it, and as long as you have a scuba tank, and a snorkel, you can stay underwater as long as the tank lasts.

If they suck up water in the engine, they are not "frakked" as one said... Simply pull it out of the water, hook the jumper cable system up to a running vehicle, and turn the engine over til the water pumps out. After all water is out of the cylinders, it will fire right up.

Just a word of caution though, if your nearby when they are trying to get one started again, dont stand on the same side as the exhaust.... you will get covered with soot and nasty water.

Here's some pictures and videos of before we got the water fording kits for the deuces... I was taking pictures while this was going on

The air filter is just above the fender on the passenger side if you dont have the fording kit, well, it sucks in lots of water

The truck got stuck on the first attempt, heres attempt 2

Old military water fording video for you guys.

edit on 30-8-2011 by longtermproject because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2011 by longtermproject because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
These trucks are pretty common on bases. They are workhorses. And yes they have a snorkel, its behind the driver. These trucks can go ANYWHERE. As you can see. lol. But yea they are great. Really fun to drive.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Saw this video yesterday, this actually happened about an hour away from me in Manville, NJ. It's impressive that those things actually are as bad ass as they look

However, it's pretty stupid that the people driving them, knew better, trained that you can't go into a certain amount of depth or else the vehicle will start floating, regardless as to the capability of being close to fully submerged and still operational.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by speaknoevil07
How did the driver see to drive.? is there a camera or some system on top? the murky water you could not see, I scuba dive and you cannot see in that water. so how could they even get as far as they did? inside cab snorkels too right? I mean the cabs had to be soaked in side...............hum . Wow.

They probably had gps or some sort of device marking where they were and what street etc. It is also possible they had a persicope of some sort, tho I didn't see any. That or someone was guiding them through the radio.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

when i was in the middle east I observed a marine reserve unit that had the exhaust system that was well above the vehicle...so im assuming its all water tight and with the exhaust above they can continue through it...so maybe its something like that....its been around for atleast 12 years that I know of.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Those look like LMTV's or FMTV's. I was a truck driver in the Army Guard for 6 years and I honestly dont believe they have under water trucks, those guys are just idiots!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
the LMTV can do 5 feet of water WITHOUT the Deep water fording kit....

With the Deep water fording kit, they go much deeper....

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Dont worry they are here to save you.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
reply to post by Domo1

when i was in the middle east I observed a marine reserve unit that had the exhaust system that was well above the vehicle...so im assuming its all water tight and with the exhaust above they can continue through it...so maybe its something like that....its been around for atleast 12 years that I know of.

Im thinking the exhuast system being raised is so its not blowing on troops walking beside the vehicle.Exhaust under water is not usually a problem cause its not an intake.
edit on 30-8-2011 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A modern amphibious truck by the seems of things.

It was doing pretty good until they got past the bridge.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

My question.. and not sure if it's been asked.. but how the hell can they see????

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The soldier in this case really screwed up. But standard procedure when you enter really deep water in a military vehicle is to just keep going until you can't. Really surprised they were able to, really impressive what that machine can do.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

Thanks for the pictures, and info, cleared my questions right up.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
haha your welcome, if you saw what my uncle pays for these things when they are released, you'd crap yourself... If the average person could buy them, they would make great shtf vehicles... they run on any fuel, and are practically unstoppable if you are determined to get somewhere... The things we have done with them just makes it all that much better.... still haven't actually went full under water with one yet, but we have been close

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
How could they see to drive???
make the cab water tight.
and put the air pipe higher up.
maybe an add on piep.
? how can they see? the water was above the window?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

People who risk their lives to help others, make an error in judgment and the response is "You guys are stupid".

The real question should be what are the critics doing to help? Rubbernecking and getting in the way most likely.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
reply to post by Domo1

Here is a screen grab from that video clip I circled the snorkel with red. Pretty impressive though!!

They should have turned around when the cab was underwater and essentially they where staring underwater through the windshield. These guys where ordered to go this route and they drove it. They are stupid.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
if the driver is truly that stupid to not know the depth limitations of his transportation,
then he deserves all the ridicule.
It would appear that stupidity stalled the trucks, rendering them now useless and unable to help anyone.
I guess common sense still is not taught in boot camp.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

You can actually see the snorkle/exhaust in the first truck as it passes close to the camera. The snorkle/exhaust is exactly behind the driver's seat, and it's above the waterline. The only problem is that water would eventually fill the inside of the truck, and the driver and passengers wouldn't have enough space to breath, which is why they climbed to the top of the truck.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
How could they see to drive???
make the cab water tight.
and put the air pipe higher up.
maybe an add on piep.
? how can they see? the water was above the window?

How could they see to drive is the question. After the bridge they went off course, so maybe they could see just enough thru the top of the windshield until then.
Vid has to be one of the best on ATS. Great thread. Mega stars and flag.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join