It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard Trucks Driving Under Water

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
reply to post by Domo1

My question.. and not sure if it's been asked.. but how the hell can they see????

Sonar?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

the old willys army jeeps had snorkles, a sealed, water-tight ignition system, and a pull-throttle on the dash. as kids we had one, and used to run it underwater, sitting on the backrest and steering with our feet.

Drove a 49 willys as a youngster for hunting and mudding it was very very hard to stop. Miss that thing.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Looks like those macguyvers dunked the snorkels and done flooded the motor. Literally. Bravo, boys!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
LMTV's and HMTV's are fun to drive and they will put you back into your seat when you hit the gas. They have a turbo charged diesel and it has some power.

The only problem with them is they are pretty top heavy and tip over quite easy and subsequently there is a gauge on the dash showing your degree of tilt that you need to really pay attention to or you will tip over if you are turning to sharp at your rate of speed.

I was never really trained on driving them, but I was given one for a couple weeks to get around the FOB and transport replacements arriving in country from the air field in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

First of all, i was thinking why on earth would you attempt that, i thought they where doing some secret work and where heading somewhere, its crazy, they must have been on a mission to go that far before failing, here in australia we have 4WD's equiped with snorkle systems, verry common, but to try and drive with water almost over the winshield would be a bad idea, im curious as to how these trucks engins are equiped to handle full flooding, unless the entire engin system including the electronics is sealed? crazy video though.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
snorkel or not these guys just went stupid gung ho. End result... dead floating vehicle.

Is this the best we can do with regards to training? It's not their truck so WTF right??

Won't be long before their CO gets a hold of this clip. OOps!
edit on 30-8-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

FUNNY! When he said are you guys really that stupid. The ovbious answer is apparently so. No wonder they want a robot army all those GMO and drugs in the food is definitely showing. You can't create a generation of retards and expect to be anything but retards.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This was really dumb. However, I can understand how it happened (It's still really dumb).

I want to point out to everyone what I believe happened.

How this happened:
I believe they ran out of air. Right before the second LMTV (light medium tactical vehicle) goes under the bridge, a voice in the video says that the window is open. This leads me to believe that the driver opened their window to see where to drive. Those cabs are not airtight! It would take a few seconds for the water entering the cab (of the truck) through the window to displace the air left in the cab. When they had no air left in the cab, they stopped and got out.

Why this happened:
I believe this happened because they didn't realize that the water is going to get that deep. Watch the second LMTV at the begging of the video. Look at the windshield and you can see that the water level is not as deep as it is under the bridge. When going through water, most drivers like to keep their momentum to avoid getting stuck. This would explain why the drivers continued to go push forward (I will add that the second LMTV could have simply been following the first, they wouldn't want to split up the convoy!). When things got too deep, they were hoping that the water level would go down as they moved forward.

I love the military. At the same time I have to remind you that these are some of the people that we send to war. That's a frightening concept. However, I could be wrong about how this happened. I had time to study the accident at a slow pace while I knew the outcome, I don't know what I would have done had I been in that situation.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

Thanks for posting those. I would love to buy something like that. Couple guys I knew had Unimogs or whatever. They were awesome.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
if the driver is truly that stupid to not know the depth limitations of his transportation,
then he deserves all the ridicule.
It would appear that stupidity stalled the trucks, rendering them now useless and unable to help anyone.
I guess common sense still is not taught in boot camp.

I dont understand how you guys can ignore what I have been saying... it literally takes less than 5 minutes to clear the engines on these military vehicles of water....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

I was pretty impressed when I read that. Seems no slap on the wrist would be necessary if the engines can be cleared that quick. For once I feel like money well spent!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Seems a certain member was right

No punishment

According to a National Guard spokesperson, the two trucks were en route to another part of the state when they were dispatched to Manville. Unaware of the water depth and the 46-inch fording depth of their LMTVs they proceeded deeper and deeper into the water until they were stuck forcing other rescue units to rescue the rescuers. "The chain of command is taking the incident seriously," the spokesman said. "They know the soldiers went in with the best intentions. They were perhaps a bit too confident."

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by longtermproject

if the driver is truly that stupid to not know the depth limitations of his transportation,
It would appear that stupidity stalled the trucks, rendering them now useless and unable to help anyone.

I dont understand how you guys can ignore what I have been saying... it literally takes less than 5 minutes to clear the engines on these military vehicles of water....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by longtermproject

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

cool

<< 1  2  3   >>

join