It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Raids Gibson Guitars Looking for Illegal Wood

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

nation.foxnews.com

Press Release from Gibson: The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department’s interpretation of a law in India. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India.

On August 24, 2011, around 8:45 a.m. CDT, agents for the federal government executed four search warrants on Gibson’s facilities in
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.redstate.com

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So the DOJ raids Gibson USA over supposedly illegal Indian Rosewood. Did they get an "anonymous" tip from Fender? I find this highly disturbing. I know a lot of people talk trash about Gibson- such as being too expensive, or poor craftsmanship(hope you didn't buy a Gibson that was made on a Monday-ha ha) but seriously? The Gibson guitar is an American icon and has been for many years. The raid was enacted by the DOJ on their interpretation of an Indian law that was not even being pursued by the government of India. The DOJ just took this upon themselves to do this, on a supposed violation of the Lacey Act from 1900. You would think that one of the American companies that still operates on American soil and still employs Americans would be treated a little better. Sadly, this is not the first time this has happened. In 2009 they were also raided and over a million dollars of Ebony imported from Madagascar was seized. To this day, no charges have been filed- and Gibson still have not had their wood returned. I am the proud owner of 4 Gibson's- I guess that makes me a criminal by proxy?

nation.foxnews.com
edit on 26-8-2011 by RainDog because: added youtube vid

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is for real? Illegal wood? (Does Beavis & Butthead laugh)
I can see illegal ivory from poaching and what not, but how is wood illegal in any way?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
How would DOJ be able to determine if the wood was finished by Indian craftsmen or not? Is there some kind of certificate in the crate or something? This is just bizarre!!

EDIT: Video answered my question. Still ridiculous!!
edit on 26-8-2011 by micmerci because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
LMFAO WOW, the DOJ over reacting about Wood....Coool...I see that this is what we should be worrying about the most in today's world...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Yup. It's for real. What's next? Are they gonna raid every music shop in the U.S. that sells Gibson guitars?
Howabout criminal charges against everyone that owns one! I think this is a clear example of the government being out of control. Some laws are just useless.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You know how puritanical types are.
When you tie in illegal and wood together in the same sentence.
Well it arouses them into action.
They go into an ecstatic orgy of action and can't control their desire to bring the evil illegal wood users to justice.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RainDog

nation.foxnews.com

Press Release from Gibson: The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department’s interpretation of a law in India. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India.

On August 24, 2011, around 8:45 a.m. CDT, agents for the federal government executed four search warrants on Gibson’s facilities in

Related News Links:
www.redstate.com

Seriously, this is just retarded. Since when does the DOJ investigate BS laws from other countries that don't involve an injured party? I thought the DOJ worked for the US or is there some backwoods treaty the US signed that says they have to investigate garbage like this? It seems that all the problems stem from treaties and all the treaties were put in place by bought and paid for politicians, which would seem to indicate that most if not all treaties are treasonous. Hmmmm, inquiring minds want to know....

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I expect this has less to do with the wood, and more to do with something or someone at Gibson. It stinks of politics. I wonder what has been going on behind the scenes? Does Gibson support the "wrong" political party? Did Fender tip off the DOJ?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
They NEED to focus on keeping the trash guitars made in china out of this country more than anything.
Slap an american sounding name on the junk and hang it up for sale for a few bucks and a christmas guitar soon becomes a source of discouragement for jr. to shove it in a corner never to play again, killing yet another possible outlet away from the digital garbage that's taken over what was once real music.
I look at them and shake my head, I hold them and feel the assembly line sweat and cheapness, their souless construction for pennies profit.

nice find OP.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
illegal wood . . .

okay, I think I got it out of my system.

So why the hell is DOJ enforcing Indian law?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hello, I am a woodworker, as well as other materials.
We use sourced wood and unsourced, with the sourced we can bring up nearly any information about it, when it was harvested, where it was grown, its quality, its treatment how long its been cured for, how it was cured, and where it was cured.
It helps us make sure we use top quality wood for top quality pieces.
As the idea of 'Illegal wood' I know of several laws which affect us in the UK to control wood, the main one being mahogany, as far as I am aware, although I know places where I can buy Mahogany new, It is illegal to sell 'New' Mahogany nearly all mahogany in the UK is recycled from, literally tables, chairs etc. So when you buy that new mahogany table from Habitat, your actually buying the remnants of an antique.
There are strict importing laws on wood, these mainly have to do with certain types of fungus, for example, Didymo and the Aussies.
Ebony is a specific wood, high quality and heavily sought after but associated with, low wage, deforestation, child labour etc. Imagine blood diamonds but being applied to wood.
Just take a look at the deforestation percentages per day, and anyone would want to impose a law.

But why the hell do America Justice Department give a s*** it's only wood.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
So now the PTB StormTroopers have a woody for wood domination.

Oh man. Someone in our life-holodeck sneak-turned up the intensity notch illegaly, to 'bizarre' mode.

Simone to Bridge! Captain! Warf! Can you hear me! Alert!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I foresee, smack down coming from this incident. For the government of course. :p

I wasn't aware that the DOJ had the power to secure search warrants based on other countries laws. This should be interesting.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I only have a few words for this madness.

Too many people working for the government trying to justify their worthless positions.

Time to cut the government jobs by half, then in half again, then cut pensions as well.

Time for high paid government slackers to live in the real world, like everyone else.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
If this wasn't based on US law or a complaint from the Indian government, then who made this decision?

I understand the decision was based on the Lacey Act of 1900, but Gibson has been making guitars since the 1890's and has made every effort to stay within regulations. In their press release, they state:

The wood the Government seized on August 24 is from a Forest Stewardship Council certified supplier and is FSC Controlled, meaning that the wood complies with the standards of the Forest Stewardship Council, which is an industry-recognized and independent, not-for-profit organization established to promote responsible management of the world’s forests. FSC Controlled Wood standards require, among other things, that the wood not be illegally harvested and not be harvested in violation of traditional and civil rights. See www.fsc.org for more information. Gibson has a long history of supporting sustainable and responsible sources of wood and has worked diligently with entities such as the Rainforest Alliance and Greenpeace to secure FSC certified supplies. The wood seized on August 24 satisfied FSC standards. (emphasis mine)

redstate.com

Seems to me there is something more sinister going on here.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I wonder if it's now illegal, then, for me to Listen to the Beatles song about, "Isn't it good, Norwegian wood,...."

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
With the U.S. economy going to hell, the geniuses over at the DOJ think it's a good idea to enforce an obscure FOREIGN law on an honest American company, which will end up hurting them financially.
A great use of the DOJ's resources, there certainly can't be anything of higher priority than this illegal wood importing cartel. Don't pay any attention to the daily trampling of the constitution, or the "undeclared" wars that circumvent congressional approval we're engaged in based off LIES of the threat of WMD's

No surprises here...business as usual for these jackasses.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBUK3D
Hello, I am a woodworker, as well as other materials.
We use sourced wood and unsourced, with the sourced we can bring up nearly any information about it, when it was harvested, where it was grown, its quality, its treatment how long its been cured for, how it was cured, and where it was cured.
It helps us make sure we use top quality wood for top quality pieces.
As the idea of 'Illegal wood' I know of several laws which affect us in the UK to control wood, the main one being mahogany, as far as I am aware, although I know places where I can buy Mahogany new, It is illegal to sell 'New' Mahogany nearly all mahogany in the UK is recycled from, literally tables, chairs etc. So when you buy that new mahogany table from Habitat, your actually buying the remnants of an antique.
There are strict importing laws on wood, these mainly have to do with certain types of fungus, for example, Didymo and the Aussies.
Ebony is a specific wood, high quality and heavily sought after but associated with, low wage, deforestation, child labour etc. Imagine blood diamonds but being applied to wood.
Just take a look at the deforestation percentages per day, and anyone would want to impose a law.

But why the hell do America Justice Department give a s*** it's only wood.

Now THAT makes sense, It's nice to have an insiders knowledge and viewpoint on this.
Thanks

I love my 59er
edit on 26-8-2011 by HappilyEverAfter because: to add

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
When i buy a Brand guitar like a Gibson or Fender
i await Quality, Resource Management is a part of Quality.

The use of illegal Wood is against my ethical Value
because i hate Deforestation which is walking Hand in Hand with Corruption!

It is good to know that Gibson is using such Business Practices,
i will not buy such a bad Karma Product

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join