It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Irene and New York: "Category 4 could be USA's greatest disaster"

page: 1
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm sure you all have heard of Irene by now, here was a video I remembered watching about a year or two ago. It's about if a category 4 hurricane hit New York, I don't think it will be this bad but you never know. keep your fingers crossed.


edit on 25-8-2011 by ConspiraCity because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity
 


why not a cat 5?



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Irene will not be anywhere near a Cat. 4 when it hits New York City. It will either be a weak Cat. 2 or a strong Cat. 1. Still strong enough to do significant damage either way.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Irene will not be anywhere near a Cat. 4 when it hits New York City. It will either be a weak Cat. 2 or a strong Cat. 1. Still strong enough to do significant damage either way.


If Irene is a cat 4 before it hits North Carolina, there is a very good chance that it could be a cat 3 when/if it hits New York. They were talking earlier that Long Island would be in trouble even it was only a cat 1 when it reached the area. Lets hope that it makes a hard right turn after hitting the Carolinas and goes back out to sea. The last thing this country needs is another great disaster to deal with.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_
 


Well interestingly, the video says it will take a particular storm, one that comes close to the southeast coast, but which doesn't really make landfall- meaning it maintains or increases its strength- and heads straight up to NYC.

Possible with Irene?



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Irene will not be anywhere near a Cat. 4 when it hits New York City. It will either be a weak Cat. 2 or a strong Cat. 1. Still strong enough to do significant damage either way.






good to know



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by _BoneZ_
 


Well interestingly, the video says it will take a particular storm, one that comes close to the southeast coast, but which doesn't really make landfall- meaning it maintains or increases its strength- and heads straight up to NYC.

Possible with Irene?


The sources I have heard have been saying direction is not certain. So its anybody's guess I suppose?



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
How ironic is that?! Geez.

It's on the same path, but the chances of it being a cat. 4 are almost nil. The water isn't as warm up there, it shouldn't be in open water causing strengthening and there are too many pockets of dry air to disrupt the storm.

I think it'll be a...

Cat 2
110 mph
haha


eh..105 mph
edit on 25-8-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
How ironic is that?! Geez.

It's on the same path, but the chances of it being a cat. 4 are almost nil. The water isn't as warm up there, it shouldn't be in open water causing strengthening and there are too many pockets of dry air to disrupt the storm.

I think it'll be a...

Cat 2
110 mph
haha


eh..105 mph
edit on 25-8-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)


I sure hope so, It's looking like your prob going to be right.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Most of the time hurricanes loose
their punch as they go into colder
water - let's hope Irene does this
as well. I can't imagine a Cat 4
hitting New York.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well that sukka just made a major shift east, northeast- look at this map and click animate:

www.wunderground.com...

On the last frame or two you can see the shift. Meaning, if it stays that course, and goes east of the forecasted track, it could do exactly what that video said- miss the coast, maintain or gain strength, and make a beeline for NYC.

edit on Thu Aug 25th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican
 


yeahhh.. about that... oh snap!

but on a serious note.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the fellas on the east coast.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican
 
Wow! I just watched the animation. That's not looking good. Let's hope she takes another turn. It's hard to imagine how horrible a direct hit would be, even after watching the OP's video. Recent events in the natural world are unsettling to say that least.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Well that sukka just made a major shift east, northeast- look at this map and click animate:

www.wunderground.com...

On the last frame or two you can see the shift. Meaning, if it stays that course, and goes east of the forecasted track, it could do exactly what that video said- miss the coast, maintain or gain strength, and make a beeline for NYC.

edit on Thu Aug 25th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)


well, based on the tracking map here.. www.wunderground.com... ... this is about the right time for it to rotate northeast from it's current track... hopefully, this is nothing... Apparently, this heat wave in Texas will be to blame if it hits NYC, though.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers
 


Well yeah, I see that, except if you superimpose the forecasted track over what just happened, you would see the eye just veered to the east of the forecasted track. They've got the turn going further north and later than what just happened. And this early in the game, it adjusting east imo is not a good sign.

Which is why I mostly stick to earthquakes- and I struggle with that.
So don't listen to me.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Look at the weather underground map and you will see why.... There is something triangular and HUGE north of the hurricane core. I am not going to say, you draw your own conclusions...

www.wunderground.com...



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by eywadevotee
Look at the weather underground map and you will see why.... There is something triangular and HUGE north of the hurricane core. I am not going to say, you draw your own conclusions...

www.wunderground.com...


Can I draw a Liger? *smirk*

Seriously, I didn't see anything triangular, but I am also tired and could be missing it.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Still a bit early to speculate, but the tracking of Irene is putting it smack dab over the nyc area by Saturday night

Theyre already saying that the entire public transportation system could be shut down for a couple days. There are definitely some low lying area around downtown Manahattan that even with a Nor'easter tends to get pretty screwed up...

I live in the city so I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

We don't do hurricanes so good..... or earth quakes...



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect
Still a bit early to speculate, but the tracking of Irene is putting it smack dab over the nyc area by Saturday night

Theyre already saying that the entire public transportation system could be shut down for a couple days. There are definitely some low lying area around downtown Manahattan that even with a Nor'easter tends to get pretty screwed up...

I live in the city so I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

We don't do hurricanes so good..... or earth quakes...


Isn't much of Manhatten kept dry using subterranean pumps? I remember seeing something about that on "The world without humans"



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by PhotonEffect
Still a bit early to speculate, but the tracking of Irene is putting it smack dab over the nyc area by Saturday night

Theyre already saying that the entire public transportation system could be shut down for a couple days. There are definitely some low lying area around downtown Manahattan that even with a Nor'easter tends to get pretty screwed up...

I live in the city so I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

We don't do hurricanes so good..... or earth quakes...


Isn't much of Manhatten kept dry using subterranean pumps? I remember seeing something about that on "The world without humans"


I recall something along those lines as well.



new topics

top topics



 
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join