It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to build a galaxy sized laser

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by XPLodER

You have it more or less correct but your biggest problem lies with comparing heliospheres to atoms and the galaxy to a gas tube.

i accept that my way of explaining it makes no sense,
atoms was a bad annology, instead think of the heliospheres as light collector/emittors, many small lenses "collecting" and "bending" the path of light

Heliospheres are not atoms, they don't behave according to the rules of quantum mechanics. They don't have discrete energy states. They are not subject to stimulated (or spontaneous) emission of radiation.

point taken it was a very bad anollogy

A galaxy is thousands of light years thick. Even if there were some sort of stimulated emission possible from a heliosphere, it would take thousands of years for each "bounce" of the light. The heliospheres would return to their ground state spontaneously. Population inversion could not occur. The density is not high enough. There could be no lasing.

i do beleive the "bounce" would be thousands of years and each bounce would change the path of the light,
the tube is not the whole galaxy,
it is the section between the center of mass and the focal point that is the tube,
and at that is at the "atomic scale" population inversion takes place (between the center of mass and focal point along the axis.

you are correct i just tryed to explain it the wrong way,
the galaxy acts to reflect and focus light between the optical focal point and the center of mass in a thin "path"
this is the "confinment" of the atoms
light "bouncing" from the center of mass and back to the focal point in a thin "tube" would hold the atoms in a high energy state and be "populated" with photons moving in both directions,with the majority coming from the center of mass.

i guess it could take a million years for the light to be "wound" up to a focal lase but i would still asume its possable.

xploder
edit on 24-8-2011 by XPLodER because: spelling

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
i shall draw a diagram,
this make take a while
back tomorrow
xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

The galaxy, dubbed Speca by the researchers, is only the second spiral, as opposed to elliptical, galaxy known to produce large, powerful jets of subatomic particles moving at nearly the speed of light. It also is one of only two galaxies to show that such activity occurred in three separate episodes.

source

very interesting artical
i wounder what your thoughts are

xplodder

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
ok found a picture of a galaxy candidate for the correct optical elements for a "galaxy laser"

the outter halo and inner halo are "reflective"

xploder

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
this is very cool

a video showing star formation and jets,
very cool time lapse images from hubble space telescope

xploder

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
cheack this out,

Small scale analogs of giant reflector telescopes, these proposed ceramic lasers would convert an impressive 35 percent of the Sun's energy into a laser light, providing a considerable increase in the maximum power produced by current-day solar pumped lasers, which typically achieve only a 1-2 percent efficiency.

As outlined in the AIP's Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, the new solar lasers would concentrate light with a small parabolic mirror 1 meter in diameter that has a focal spot approximately 2-3 centimeters in diameter. The concentrated light would then strike a two-layer ceramic disk known as a Neodymium and Chromium co-doped YAG (yttrium aluminum garnet) laser material.

One side of the disk would have a highly reflective coating; the other side would be anti-reflecting. When sunlight penetrates through the ceramic material, it excites the electrons in the material, causing them to emit laser light of a specific wavelength (1.06 micrometers). To control the searing heat produced by the concentrated sunlight, the ceramic disk would be mounted atop a heat sink through which water would be pumped.

source

xploder

top topics

<< 1   >>

join