It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camden Pays Students $100 Each to Not Skip School

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Could very well be true. The bottom line is try something new or keep the status quo, which isn't working. I'm of the opinion, from personal experience, that the more time one spends in school the better the chances that something will "hook" you and make you want to come back.

Edit to add: My motivation in the early years(grade 9) was my father. I didn't go to school and he'd beat the # out of me. That was back in the 70's though. Can't do that anymore but that's a different thread.

edit on 24-8-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I wasn't suggesting we throw them in jail . . . I'm saying our system has the capability of incarcerating criminals, has the ability to . . .

If we have systems available to address exigent behavior, why can we not develop a system to address truancy or those who just don't bother after the age of consent.

You know the give a hungry dude a fish and he'll eat today . . . but teach him to fish and he'll never go hungry thing . . . we need to do that here as the $100 is the fish, but requiring and enforcing attendance to school opens doors to a life of earning a decent wage.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The state currently pays over $16k/student to attend a public school in Camden. That is the price of a high quality private school and about three times the cost of a quality Catholic school. They are spending plenty of money on education in Camden.

How about giving the parents the $16K and let them take it to a school of their choice with the money flowing with them? The model has failed, the public school system in many cities has failed and it is far more moral and cost effective to society to support those kids who want to learn rather than toss money at those who don't.

If you are talking about only the $6K this program is funded with it, it would be better to hold a scholarship and award it to a multi child family to partially offset the cost of moving them out of Camden.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Kids today already have too great a sense of entitlement! I cannot believe that anyone would consider rewarding them for doing what they should already be doing. What a good idea! - Just inforce the mindset of no personal responsibility .

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
A month ago we decided to stop our 18 year old from going to university because of incredibly poor academics and the attitude of 'couldn't care less' from administration and teachers in general.
The alternative will be studies by correspondence.

Don't look at the educational system, it is dangerously rotten as it is now.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The fundamental problem here is that they are rewarding people for their aberrant behaviour. Yes, they have to take part in ''anger management'' and ''conflict resolution'' courses to collect the money, but that doesn't seem a bad trade-off. I'm sure if that deal was offered to the general population, then the authorities would be inundated with applicants.

There must be plenty of pupils at this school who have excellent attendance records, yet they receive no reward for their good behaviour.

It goes against the natural order of things to offer rewards and incentives for behaviour and actions which society is trying to eliminate.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If the American education system started to actually educate, it might help.

Kids are nowhere near as stupid as people think. They know when they're being taught crap that they will never need in later life.

If I was one of those teenagers, I'd probably go to school for the length of time necessary to save up a few thousand dollars, then quit and use that money to buy myself the books necessary for a classical education.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Might s well learn nothing if the point is only to teach what would be necessary to survive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join