It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I NEED your help NOW

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Has he been trained in any way? What kind of dog is it? How much does it weigh? Any health problems you are aware of? How old?

You are going to have to buck up and buy a outdoor kennel..........make sure you also get the shade cover......if you rent or do not have a yard, I guess its time to move.

Being 22 yrs old is old enough to know that if you get a dog you have a responsibility. You cant just take the tags off and wish he finds a new home. Shame on you. Own up....
edit on 24-8-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If you leave a dog alone locked in a house you are only asking for trouble imo...at least put it outside on a chain so it can wonder around the backyard or something. But I'm guessing you live in some apartment with no backyard like most people these days. In conclusion, this is why humans don't mix with nature. If you want a dog have the living space to meet it's needs. Unless you want one of those stupid little dogs.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by itisortofthetruth
I feel like he has had a past life that made him feel that way.

Maybe he just wants to go for a run?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by itisortofthetruth

Originally posted by Invariance
reply to post by itisortofthetruth

I had a dog once who had separation anxiety.. He tried to get out all the time too, he used to chew everything when no one was home and he seemed to love destroying everything.

Our vet suggested leaving the tv or radio on, it helps them feel as though someone is around. Put an old shirt of yours in his cage, your smell will help soothe him as well. He's lonely for you. For added comfort, invest in a clock that ticks loudly (like a wind-up alarm clock), it will remind him of your heartbeat.

Try a little research into separation anxiety. What works for one dog may not work for yours, but keep trying... he's worth it.

Well, all I can really say is he lives with my parents and I have no possible way I can take care of him.
My mother refuses to take him in due to the replacing of the blinds.
I feel like she has always had an easy come easy go personality.
I guess to sum it up it is a bad situation all around. Its just bad to see such a great dog be.... isolated.
I guess what I can do is what i can do.
Everything leaves this world at one point....

The way I read this is you have already made up your mind and will be putting this dog down. All because you cannot handle the responsibilty and he's cramping your life. Loyalty betrayed by death. Ain't it just great! Because he gets on your nerves.

Much of my sympathy has gone out the window for you. Not even a mention of asking a shelter or dog rescue service for help.

You're taking the easy way out. Remember, what goes around, comes around. At some point in your life you will need a little understanding from those who you love, but will not recieve any.
edit on 24-8-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by itisortofthetruth

You could try DAP( Dog Appeasing Pheromones) which come in spray and plug in diffuser versions,DAP helps to calm down distressed dogs,I use the feline equivalent ,feliway ,for my cats and the results can be quite remarkable.
Have a word with your veterinarian about which type of DAP's may be available in your country.

edit on 24-8-2011 by nake13 because: spelling

edit on 24-8-2011 by nake13 because: again spelling!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nake13

I have never heard of DAP before. Would this help mailmen deliver the mail better?

It does sound kinda creepy.

I'll have to look into this.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I may be a bit late to give advice. Separation Anxiety is serious and very sad for the pet and of course the owner. I suggest a dog trainer or dog training clinic, which he should have been worked with when younger. Some tips: You can curb that by kenneling, when you leave don't get all excited and let him know that you are leaving, some people use natural calming medicines, put him in another room and sneak away, make sure he has toys and is in a comfort zone.
Also, keep in mind dogs need exercise as well as their minds to be stimulated(more so depending on breed, etc.)
Please don't give up as so many animals need homes. You just need to be educated on his needs to help him be more comfortable.
Any questions feel free to msg. Best of luck.
edit on 24-8-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I agree it is dog separation anxiety but I do not agree with the reason behind it. He doesn't miss you he needs to look after you, as you are the weakest member of his pack in his eyes.

I know this because our dog of 9yrs went though the same thing when he was very young. He chewed walls, bed duvets, pillows, toys, doors, shoes, etc
He is a very dominant dog, he could be alpha male if he wanted to be. He is extremely intelligent; 30 out of 30 on a doggie IQ test. Could be have been higher.

How you must deal with this is, to look up how to be the alpha person in your 'pack'.
BTW dogs don't care about being the alpha before, they live in the present not the past. And he sees you as a beta or even gamma member, so he needs to look after you. You can change this easily.

What we do consistently;
Don't feed him before you have eaten.
Put your hands on your hips and stare him down.
Do not ever whip him or smack him (you can never be a leader if you hurt your pack).
BUT dog whisperer does 'handbite; this worked the best with our dog. Example; He growls at you over food-you quickly grab a piece of fur near his ribs. You don't hurt him but he is startled. Alpha Wolves do this all the time, to their naughty members. Eg, Alphas never get nipped or bitten!
Don't act like a beta member-no high pitched voices only low pitched. Puppies use high!
Don't act like you have missed him when you come in and make a fuss of him, go sit down and he has to wait for you to call him over for a cuddle. Keep cuddling him when YOU want to.
You play with him when YOU want to, not when he wants to.
Give him treats when he does what you want.
Don't feed him from the table, only in the bowl after you have finished.

Loads of other things you can do, just look up how wolf packs interact.

Good luck if you get the balance of the pack right he will be a loyal and strong beta member. And he will enjoy it, as the responsibility for living will be yours and not his.

BTW our dog doesn't chew anymore and there has been a stay at home mum in our house. The chewing would happen when he was left alone for a few hours or less.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
...i've raised a lot of dogs - mostly labs - and i've retrained more than a few who others had messed up... its my experience that if the owner is neurotic, the dog will be too... if the owner is high maintenance, the dog will be to... if the owner doesnt give the dog proper attention, the dog will tear up the house... they're like little kids in that they need clearly defined boundaries to feel safe and they need lots of time outside to run wild...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join