It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I NEED your help NOW

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have a dog. It is one of the best dogs I have ever had, but, it has a problem. He can not be left alone for more than an hour or two. He will try to get out of any opening of the home. I feel like he has had a past life that made him feel that way. I have had to replace some blinds and doors because of him.
I came home yesterday to find every single blind ripped to shreds and him in his cage, door open and all. As if he knew what he did.

Long story short, I let him out hoping a neighbor would take him in (I took off his tags, my neighborhood is very friendly. I wouldn't do this just anywhere). He is laying outside on a lounge chair seeming like the most loyal dog ever. I am really not sure what to do with him. He really is an amazingly loyal dog. He is very unique to say the least. I just cant deal with the anxiety he has of being left alone.

I love him, to put it lightly.
What can I do to make this work or to make him live. He doesn't deserve banishment or something that will lead to death.

I, myself, being a young person i kind of wish sometimes I could form my life around being next to this wonderful soul. Young, being 22....

I just don't know what to do...
Ending a life that is one is many in this bleak world is more torture than I prefer to endure in any form while I am on this world.

Advice, please. It would mean more to me than you know.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
call the dog whisperer

leave him in your backyard when you go to work?

if you dont have a yard then move somewhere which does?

find a friend who will watch him while your not there?

drug him?

maybe a veterinarian can help with that

get a stronger cage to put him in?

sell the dog to someone else? maybe even for free?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
call the dog whisperer

leave him in your backyard when you go to work?

if you dont have a yard then move somewhere which does?

find a friend who will watch him while your not there?

drug him?

maybe a veterinarian can help with that

get a stronger cage to put him in?

sell the dog to someone else? maybe even for free?

I would give him away before any of those suggestions. He is not a soul or a being that is meant to have a price or drug put on/in him. Its truly sad to see that any living thing can have a price or sedation put on them in this world, still...but, that is for another discussion...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Put a padlock on the cage door.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
He seems to know what he wants, respect his intelligence and willpower and takes these clues as to how you should go about necessitating the basic aspects his care such as food and shelter. It shouldn't be overly complicated?

A kennel outside perhaps?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by itisortofthetruth

I don't know your financial situation. Doggie prozac can be expensive.

Or maybe you can get him a buddy to play with.

What kind of dog is it?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

This is far more realistic than what i have heard so far.

I guess I will see how i can possibly accommodate to his needs.

He wants to be with someone very badly all the time, but, obviously in this time and age that is quite impossible.

I even have another dog to keep him company and he still freaks out.

I have had him for 2 or so years after taking him from a friend. He is honestly such a good dog that I wish it was 200 or so years ago when having him by my side would not come into question.

A perfect soul in a not so perfect time... It is more than shame....

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I don't know your financial situation. Doggie prozac can be expensive.

Or maybe you can get him a buddy to play with.

What kind of dog is it?

Has a buddy to play with. the female he has is a very vocal and active dog. she is well trained, well tempered and is not less than intelligent in the least. despite being half his size keeps the alpha dog status despite his attempts to take charge. She is also 4 or so years older.

He is a mutt. 1/2 German shepard, 1/4 chow, 1/4 lab.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

go to victoria stilwell website, she knows more about dogs than anyone.

does he have chewies and toys to keep busy?

sometimes they need company, i had a yorkie that loved being with a rabbit.

but honestly, victoria stiwell is the expert.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
First of all I'm a bit upset that you even consider putting him down because of this!

If you take in a dog, you also have the responsibility to train it right!
This is not a 'passed lives' problem, it's a behaviour problem and it can be fixed when you start to train your dog the way you should have done from the min you got him, which I don't think you did.

How old is this dog?

You can get professional help, go to a dog training course, a doggy-school, etc....
yes it costs and it takes time, but you knew that a dog would require time and money when you got it, right?????
Get help training him and he'll be fine, you probably start seeing good results within a matter of weeks when you are dedicated to it.

in the mean while I suggest you place a kennel in your backyard, one that has shelter and food/water in it and place the dog in there whenever you go out.
It's not harsch at all and if you get help, they will probably tell you the same thing.

The good thing about dogs is that you can teach them about anything. They know when they misbehave so the reward system works wonders on them.

Reward him with candy everytime you let him out of the kennel, tell him he's been a good boy!
Don't reward him when he misbehaved but ignore him instead (remember, even bad attention is attention)

but for crying out loud, don't put him down because of this!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Ok...so he has a friend to play with. But is he classified as a working dog? What kind of dog and the other are they? Maybe his high energy is to much for the other.

Try to give him work to do in the form of play. Burn him out so to speak before you leave, and again when you return.

Edit: Yep, he's a working dog. All those breeds have high energy. This dog may wear you out prior to being tired itself...

I do agree though, Victorias website has a lot of good advice. But it will take a lot of experimentation to find the right combo.

edit on 24-8-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Have you tried leaving a radio or telly on when you go out?
I had a friend who had a dog that hated being left alone. He put the radio on and the dog calmed down. It was like the radio gave his dog reassurance when he was out.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

Thank you, I shall look.

any advice is better than none.

He has toys and everything. He just seems like he needs a person by his side at all times.

I can say without a doubt that is this were a darker or earlier time in history.... This is the animal I would want with me. He can be strong when needs be (he used to live with two full bred pitbulls and was the leader, kept them in line too).
He is obedient. He is also very watchful of whats going on. He will not even raise his eyes to the smallest of a person... He lays down (stomach and head on ground, eyes not meeting) as soon as any aged or sized person approaches unless there is some sort of threat...

I could go on about him, but I am just looking for advice. He is sitting outside as I speak. He knows he did wrong and wont drink or eat. He is just laying. I picked up his face and force fed him some water (dont worry, he was okay with it though reluctant). He has been gone over 8 hours.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by itisortofthetruth
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

This is far more realistic than what i have heard so far.

I guess I will see how i can possibly accommodate to his needs.

He wants to be with someone very badly all the time, but, obviously in this time and age that is quite impossible.

I even have another dog to keep him company and he still freaks out.

I have had him for 2 or so years after taking him from a friend. He is honestly such a good dog that I wish it was 200 or so years ago when having him by my side would not come into question.

A perfect soul in a not so perfect time... It is more than shame....

google "dog separation anxiety"
lots of information and solutions if that's your dog's problem

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by itisortofthetruth

He is not a soul or a being....

I would beg to differ. I've had dogs that thought they were human, very intelligent. Which made me ponder...

Put a fence around the back yard and leave him outside when you leave. Get another dog for him.

Then he'll be fine.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Contact the Dog Whisperer (www.cesarsway.com...) or post the problem on a dog behaviorist/training site (i.e., www.dog-obedience-training-review.com...). Don't give up on him, I've seen some amazing transformations - good luck!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

sharpie chihuahua mix.
shes active as can be. I have never been able to wear this dog out except on long hikes, 10+ miles.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I had a dog once who had separation anxiety.. He tried to get out all the time too, he used to chew everything when no one was home and he seemed to love destroying everything.

Our vet suggested leaving the tv or radio on, it helps them feel as though someone is around. Put an old shirt of yours in his cage, your smell will help soothe him as well. He's lonely for you. For added comfort, invest in a clock that ticks loudly (like a wind-up alarm clock), it will remind him of your heartbeat.

Try a little research into separation anxiety. What works for one dog may not work for yours, but keep trying... he's worth it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Great dog IMO, just linage alone. Reminds me of my dog before the ex took him.

1/2 Border Collie, 1/4 German shepard, 1/4 lab. I considered him my kid. And he required lots of work otherwise the trash was all over the house. He eventually got it though.

That said, look up the sites available and experiment and spend what time you can with him. He wants to be part of the pack and feels excluded possibly. Remember, he once was in charge of two dogs..now he's not. People feel bad when relegated to a lesser role as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance

I had a dog once who had separation anxiety.. He tried to get out all the time too, he used to chew everything when no one was home and he seemed to love destroying everything.

Our vet suggested leaving the tv or radio on, it helps them feel as though someone is around. Put an old shirt of yours in his cage, your smell will help soothe him as well. He's lonely for you. For added comfort, invest in a clock that ticks loudly (like a wind-up alarm clock), it will remind him of your heartbeat.

Try a little research into separation anxiety. What works for one dog may not work for yours, but keep trying... he's worth it.

Well, all I can really say is he lives with my parents and I have no possible way I can take care of him.
My mother refuses to take him in due to the replacing of the blinds.
I feel like she has always had an easy come easy go personality.
I guess to sum it up it is a bad situation all around. Its just bad to see such a great dog be.... isolated.
I guess what I can do is what i can do.
Everything leaves this world at one point....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join