It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milkyway in the daytime?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sith9157
I don't think the Milky way can be observed during the daylight hours. I did some checking around before posting this, and I could not find any site stating that this is possible. But, over at Spaceweather.com this was posted

AURORA WATCH: Earth is entering a minor solar wind stream that could stir up geomagnetic activity around the Arctic Circle. Sky watchers at high latitudes should be alert for auroras.

www.spaceweather.com...

ty
Im am on the mendip hills here, not sure if that could be considered high altitude
but Aurora seems the most logical explanation

edit on 23/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I once saw the lights in the middle of nowhere, Utah desert. Bright red, lit up the sky (around midnight) it was an amazing sight (though I did not know that it actually was an aurora until the backpacking trip was over and I read it in the newspaper) but in any case, great catch on film! Wish I had done that.
edit on 23-8-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well if it is the lights then colour me happy

any way its far too late here for me to carry on! If anyone has any other explanations then I'd love to hear them!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

That (specifically, an auroral arc) would be my guess. A similar thing was photographed, at night, over here in Canada 6 years ago: Link
edit on 23-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Versa..I'm kinda at a loss here.
I think that it is a very high level cloud, reflecting the sunlight

Kind of like in the image below, but yours of course is running across the top of the sky, so to speak

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I think CLprime just nailed it

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

doesnt look like an aurora to me , looks like high cloud caught by a low sun, possible some kind of aeroplane discharge, if it went across the whole sky.. any more pics?

sunBox

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Definitely not the milky way.
Interesting though.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
NO there WASNT a pink sunset at the same time, to my left (west) the sky was a slightly darker blue with the same clouds

Oh, somehow I read that wrong. My mistake.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've got something similar going on right now - sorry no camera - but I can tell mine is clouds. Your's doesn't look like it's clouds.

No pink sunset, but it is just going down right now, very colourless actually, in the west, but the clouds to the southeast and above me are pink in the background, and the weird thing is the clouds in the front are grey rain clouds moving in and they aren't pink at all.

It's hard to figure out where mine is reflecting, but I know it is somewhere, I get this a lot. I usually am lucky enough to get a pinkish moon coming up in the summer with the sun setting so late, and it always has a warm glow to the far north.

Yours is very unusual looking because it doesn't look like clouds, it just looks like a pink sky there.
Very cool, and very strange looking. It doesn't look aurora like either though, an aurora usually has more than one colour. And they tend to move/wave around a lot.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

The auroral arc doesn't move.
That's actually what led me to the auroral arc...Googling "stationary aurora".

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Very cool, I have to start looking for them more. In the summer it's often too bright until the middle of the night, and in the winter it gets too cold standing out there.

There was some very heavy auroral activity in the winter of either 2005 or 2006, and I bundled up well and watched it for at least half an hour. I remember hoping I wasn't getting radiated, too beautiful to go back in the house.

When I see everyone posting about sun activity, I'll have to get out there and start looking - I want to see a stationary one now

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

You lucky people and your aurora-observing abilities. I've never seen one.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Location Location Location

52 parallel, East Saskatchewan

Cold, north enough that they're great when you see them in the winter, and there's been some in the summer that I was too north to see, just too bright too late, summer days are really really long in June/July...........

The sky is mostly quiet though, they're rare unless you're way up north, I think.

The OP is lucky to have such a nice pic of a stationary one.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Aurora-arc, huh? Late last night I stepped outside as well and had a look at the moon. I noticed a faint blue band going through the sky. I just assumed it was the Milky Way band as well, but I found it very odd because I live in town and I've never been able to see that band of stars in the past thanks to light pollution. I wonder if I saw the same thing this guy is seeing last night.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Use filters on the camera to get a better shot.

www.astropix.com...

edit on 24-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by Versa

That (specifically, an auroral arc) would be my guess. A similar thing was photographed, at night, over here in Canada 6 years ago: Link
edit on 23-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

That looks very much like it but the one I saw was less 'sharp' and there was no green, but it did 'arc' across the sky like that...... It looked very much like the sky was tinted pink not a cloud.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by funbox
reply to post by Versa

doesnt look like an aurora to me , looks like high cloud caught by a low sun, possible some kind of aeroplane discharge, if it went across the whole sky.. any more pics?

Way too wide to be aeroplane trails. Im defiantly thinking it was Aurora

another pic here more to my right

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de915f117d03.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

well tonight should be interesting , if the aurora is reaching as far south as somerset, i should have a great vantage in Birmingham. been wanting to see aurora my whole life .. truely excellent

keepingthempeeledBox

edit on 24-8-2011 by funbox because: Wolves ate my camera

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join