It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE earthquake for Colorado!!!!! whats going on today? 5.5!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Found this Aug Sept 2001 USGS report on the earthquake swarm in the Trinidad area.
USGS Report Trinindad Swarm Colorado 2001

The report looks at several possibilities for Seismic activity around the Trinidad area. Very interesting reading... for those with an inclination of course. Also mentions earthquakes being caused by man made influences. A situation that a lot of people won't accept, inc the major offenders (defence forces, mining, fracking etc) and strange people who say they are in contact with aliens (Zeta fleas) and nancy fLIEs that profess its due only to the inevitable coming poleshift event.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

I ran across this info a while back and found it very interesting. The report didn't rule out the possibility the quakes were induced but the evidence really wasn't strong enough to support it.

I live about 40 miles north of Trinidad, not sure what to think about this.

The upper-crustal focal depths of the Trinidad swarm (in the upper 6 km, 19,800 ft, of the earth's crust) may have seismic hazards implications in the long-term if the earthquakes are natural. Such shallow-depth earthquakes tend to produce more intense shaking at communities close to the epicenter (within several kilometers) than do earthquakes of similar magnitude at mid-crustal depths of 10-15 km (6-9 mi)...The locations of the Trinidad earthquakes support the idea that such shallow-depth earthquakes may be a characteristic mode of seismicity in the Southern Rocky Mountains.

Hypocenters from the local Trinidad network show that the recent sequence of earthquakes occurred on a previously unknown fault located at 3 km to 6 km (10,000 - 19,800 ft) below the surface...The seismologically-identified fault system on which the recent earthquakes have occurred deserves more study to assess its geologic characteristics, its history of past displacement, and to determine if the fault extends to depths shallower than 3 km, which is the upper limit of the well-constrained hypocenters. pubs.usgs.gov...

I guess the area didn't deserve more study before they started drilling. I don't know if fracking on fault lines will cause earthquakes, I hope not, but it seems possible.

Fracking': Rock fracturing's relation to quakes

Scientists say fracking does cause tiny earthquakes, but they're too small to be felt on the Earth's surface. The process can also cause quakes large enough to be noticed on the surface, but only if done near a fault line. And even then, the resulting tremors are likely to be mild.

"You're not going to get a really big earthquake," said Mark Zoback, a Stanford University geophysics professor who has studied the issue. "To get a big earthquake, you'd need a really big fault. When these oil fields are being developed, the companies are very aware of where the faults are. They don't want to do something stupid."

So companies are very aware of where the faults are yet around Trinidad they've found a previously unknown fault.
What exactly happens when they do "something stupid?"

<< 1   >>

join