It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbed aboriginal burial ground and high suicide rate in South Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I lived in the eastern Flerieau peninsula in South Australia for 7 years. For that whole time i noticed a high rate in the area of suicide in mainly young men with no apparent reason to kill themselfs. Wanting answers and knowing that the area had a very strong aboriginal connection i did some reserch and this is what i found.

1. Back in the early 1900's locals unearthed an ancient aboriginal burial ground near the grounds of what is now Strathalbyn cemetary. Apparently the remains were from a war or fight with another near by tribe.
2. The town of Milang which nestles on the shore of lake Alexandrina was oringinaly called 'Milank" which in the aboriginal language translates to "bad magic " or "bad magic place" it was a no go zone for the local aboriginals and they were forbidden to camp there.
3. There are 2 places in South Australia that the aboriginals would not go or camp and they are Milang and Kangaroo Island. These places are both in the flerieau penninsula.

In conclusion i believe that there is an actual curse on the whole area, compelling young men to kill themselfs. Is this even possible ????

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenasangelFor that whole time i noticed a high rate in the area of suicide in mainly young men with no apparent reason to kill themselfs.

Interesting story but do you have any evidence that the suicide rate was above average?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
hi op
interesting indeed
here in england we have the white cliffs of dover
suicides go back hundreds of years
heres a good link
www.independent.co.uk...

i love this bit at the bottom of the page

"If there is any encouragement to be salvaged from all this tragedy, it might be teased from the tale of a woman who went to Beachy Head in order to make her quietus. She had never been a drinker, but she knocked back half a bottle of gin for the sake of Dutch courage. Not long afterward she was arrested and fined for being drunk and disorderly, having decided while under the influence that life was marvellous after all"

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

The evidence i got is basicly that whilst i lived there, which was a total of 7 years 7 young men in all the same age group which was late teens to early 20's and neither of them were at all depressed and had no reason to die. This year alone 3 young men have commited suicide. These are young men ive known since babies. Again they were young and healthy and had no reason to commit suicide. Funnily enough though ive never heard of a girl doing it. It's always the boys.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Might be something toxic in the water of the "bad magic" suicide area.

Then again, it could be like the suicide forest in Japan. People just go there to kill themselves, because it's a nice place to die.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Trust me darling.......this place is not nice or lovely

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The only reason they would be committing suicide down there is because of the boredom

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Nonchalant

I realise that the place is the # end of the stick but killing yourself is a bit exessive to say the least......soon as i found this out i got my son the hell out of strathalbyn and he has never looked back.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by cenasangel

hows it going cenasangel

lucky you that’s a very nice area to live in, beautiful fishing!
fact is suicide rates are pretty high everywhere in sa / australia

now i live in sa and i wana try work this out to, personally although i dont really believe in curses its always possible and the aborigines have an amazing and ancient culture that dates back up to 60,000 years so if anyone knew about stuff like curses it would of been them (before we destroyed their history)

anyway i believe its more based around the society the boys live in.
australians are very laid back and often neglect to realise how people are feeling or even if they do they wont say anything or try and help the person.
men in australia feel the need to act tuff and talking to others about problems shows weakness..
men do not want to seem weak because people take advantage.

to fix this problem would be very hard because you would have to change a whole culture and the stigma around masculinity.

lets hope one day the government puts more attention to this issue / mental health
its a neglected sector and it really backs up what im saying about our culture.

im not saying australians are bad people, i love my country (minus the governments) with every part of my heart and no doubt anyone whos been here knows its probably one of the luckiest countries on earth.
but we judge people to much
and when people have problems we tend to push them aside and pay attention to the happy people because its easier to avoid.

i dont really know but ah it pisses me off so much..suicide rates and the way we treat aborigines!

ALSO SOMETHING TO NOTE
south australia has amazing marijuana (some of the best in the world)..its everywhere, cheapest in the country and a lot of it is hydroponic and covered in chemicals to increase growth..although it helps with temporary depression it can make it a lot worse in the long run
i have always thought that this is a big contributor to mental health in sa because it really is that good

anyway take care

edit on 22-8-2011 by dilapidated because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I think some places just have an evil energy about them, which seems to multiply itself by drawing more tragedy towards it. Perhaps it's due to the ley lines, or the energy grid which David Icke suggests is used by the elites for malevolent rituals to spread negative energy across the globe.
The black magicians seem to specifically choose such places for rituals.
I wonder, did the aborigines have rituals at the place, or is it associated with modern myths of black magic?

In South Africa we have bridge called the Van Staden's River Bridge.
Since it opened in 1971 over 81 people have jumped to their deaths, and since suicide prevention projects in 2003, 30 people have been stopped from committing suicide.

I recall that the bridge was investigated by the occult unit decades ago, and they found candles and satanic graffiti underneath. It's also been exorcised by Christians several times, seemingly to little effect.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I recall that the bridge was investigated by the occult unit decades ago, and they found candles and satanic graffiti underneath. It's also been exorcised by Christians several times, seemingly to little effect.

most bridges have satanic graffiti and ive seen candles in plenty of tunnels and places like that..

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cenasangel

I didn't mean it was a nice area necessarily - just that it was a customary place people used to commit suicide.

Since others in the area have committed suicide, it creates a social acceptance in others that can make them do things that they normally wouldn't do. Also, you should never assume someone is mentally healthy just because they look or act that way - animals are really good at hiding disabilities to keep them from standing out.

If you think it has something to do with the local legend you should check for natural toxins in the area - save that notion of magic for the very last answer.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenasangel
reply to post by Versa

a total of 7 years 7 young men in all the same age group which was late teens to early 20's and neither of them were at all depressed and had no reason to die. This year alone 3 young men have commited suicide. These are young men ive known since babies. Again they were young and healthy and had no reason to commit suicide. Funnily enough though ive never heard of a girl doing it. It's always the boys.

Men are nearly three times more likely to take their own life than women.
link

or according to this study

Just under six times as many males as females ages 20 to 24 died by suicide.
link

Young men are a high suicide risk group so the fact that it is young men is the least surprising aspect of the story...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dilapidated

I appreciate what your saying about Strath and also about the dope as when i was living in strath i could throw a stone to the next hydro set up. It seemed everyone was growing around me and you couldf actually smell it on hot summer nights however this was different.

I can only speak for myself but when i was living in strath i felt the place was so depressing......it was so heavy and thick. I just felt the place was so desolate and isolated. Driving away from Strath for the last time i felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I didn't feel the heaviness or the weight anymore.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Yeah i understand that but in such a small area which consists of maybe 1000 people it's alot.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Sorry to bump such a really old thread, but I felt I had to just to correct the ignorant remarks in this thread.
I was searching for something else entirely and this is one of the threads that came up...anyhow..

Suicide rates in rural South Australia amongst young men are up for some very valid and easily explainable reasons.

The older generations which ran the many farms in rural towns, have passed on the farms to the son or sons.
These sons or son, have decided that they want to live the "high life", a life of luxury.
They now have a multi million dollar farm behind them, so they use the farming property to borrow money to finance an expensive life style.
New, massive houses that they don't need.
Brand new sports, luxury and high performance cars.

That's all well and good, as long as you are making money to keep your debt repayments going.

At the time this thread was made we were experiencing one of the worst droughts not just in recorded history but in living memory in this state. Crop yields were obviously affected big time.

Now, you put your self in the shoes of these young men with young families, who've been left the family farm that's been in their family for generations, and they've all but pissed it away.
The banks come knocking for their money.
The pressure builds. The shame builds.
Eventually they cant take it anymore, and they feel their only option is suicide.

It's not a widely publicized thing or even covered in the media at all. But speak to any friendly local resident in rural towns and they'll tell you the same thing and probably explain things in greater detail.

top topics

join